Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Re: do we need a
263 Posts
If i was to apply for a visa before i go to Egypt how far in advance could i do this. Not going untill June 2011.
If i was to apply for a visa before i go to Egypt how far in advance could i do this. Not going untill June 2011.

The Visa is valid for 6 months (for one use only) so you could apply well in advance if that is what you wished to do, the application takes approx 5 days to process plus postage time.

To be honest it is easier and just as cheap (if not cheaper) to get your Visa when you arrive in Egypt,
The Egyptian Consulate website gives you full information http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/index.php

Graham :wave:
Thanks Graham for the advise. Think i will wait untill i get to Egypt and get the visa there. :cheers
Hi

Have been having a look on the Egyptian Consulate website and on here but getting myself a little confused!! Head to Sharm in 10 days with my partner and unsure about visas, it says if staying for 14 days it is fine... but our holiday runs into 15 days. Do we have to do anything or are we fine?

Thanks in advance,
Jo
Hi Jo

A visitors visa is for one visit and lasts up to 3 months so you don't have to worry :tup

Remember you only require a visa if you are planning to leave the Red Sea Sinai area, for example going to Cairo or if you are staying in an area other than Sharm you will require a visa.

Graham
Brilliant thanks for that!

How do we go about getting them? Or is it a bit like Turkey and you have to pay when you get to the airport?

We aren't planning on any trips but if we do can we get the visa at a later stage?
You get them at the airport on arrival . If you are on a flight with TC or thomson they tend to hustle you all into a visa queue anyway . You either buy one which they stick into your passport or they stamp it "sinai only" if you don't before proceeding to passport control .
thanks very much for that, more straight forward than i was imagining. was getting myself all confused with it!
as anyone been to cairo? is it worth getting a visa to go?
There seems to be loads of conflicting advice on these forums. Just a basic question, I'm stopping Sinai area only but will be going diving. Do I need a visa to go scuba diving? I've heard you need a visa for ras Mohammed. Does this mean you need one for ras Mohammed if your only diving there? Thanks.
Yes you are told you will need one for ras mohamed but unless it has changed since my husband last went it's unlikely to be checked . I'm 90% sure it would be anybody going there , not just diving . My only hestitation would be I seem to remember reading somewhere that your passport/visa info is inputed for your relevant authorities prior to the trip. Maybe someone that has been recently could confirm

You will also need one if doing the Thistlegorm wreck .

If you decide not to get one there is still a vast amount of diving to be done more locally .
My nephew has just booked a late deal to soma bay which I believe is close to Hurghada . I've told him he doesnt need a visa but now I'm wondering if I've told him wrong .

Can anyone confirm the visa situation there.
Can anyone confirm the visa situation there

A Visa is required for Hurghada & Soma, it is not located on the Sinai Peninsula.
oops I had better give him the good news that his auntie is not as clever as she thought she was . Cheers Graham :tup
Lyn,Tell him not to join the Thomas Cook queue as they charge £13 for a £10 visa. :yikes
I had a massive argument with the Thomas Cook bloke who insisted we join the queue with over 200 people in it rather than go to one of the bank kiosks which were all empty.
It clearly states its $15 which at the moment is around £9 with the exchange rate being favourable.
When I return in November I am taking $30 for our 2 visas. :tup
Thanks Jean I will tell him . He's Never been to Egypt before.
Don't know if any of you are aware .................But the Egyptian Government are soon to implement that visas will no longer be able to be purchased on arrival and travellers will have to be in possession of one on arrival ! Therefore they will have to purchased here before departure . Apparently according to a friend this could be in force as soon as 20th September .
Just heard that the government have now decided to " suspend " the changes in visa rules, so for now things remain the same !
Phew! Thank goodness for that Doe, I am due to go later on in the Autumn and have so mcuh on my plate at the moment that the idea of having to get a visa before I go was going to send me into a spin :rofl

Glad you are stil up and doing.

doe :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.