Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
All passengers due to fly today should contact their airline asap but please stay away from UK Airports until advised otherwise by your airline.

Van
Current closures:
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Belfast

138 flights cancelled at Gatwick
Manchester closed between 7am and 1pm at this time.
80 flights cancelled at Birmingham

Van
Flights in Norway and Northern Sweden Cancelled due to Volcanic Ash
17 scheduled departures from Stansted Cancelled

150 cancelled at Heathrow
Luton / Bristol expect disruption later.

Van
East Midlands airport has begun cancelling flights

Van
21 Flights cancelled at Cardiff airport...
11 flights cancelled from Exeter Airport...

Van
Flights cancelled in volcanic ash alert

No flights were operating from Scottish airports this morning and other air services across the UK faced cancellations and delays due to warnings of an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Iceland.
Flights from Manchester, Liverpool, Luton, Stansted, Newcastle, Birmingham, Belfast and Gatwick were amongst those affected.

British Airways cancelled domestic services from London City Airport and Monarch flights from Luton and Gatwick were also affected.

Flight restrictions were imposed by the Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) after the Met Office warned ash could damage engines.

Passengers are being advised to contact their airlines before travelling.

Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports were shut and NATS said it was restricting flights "in accordance with international civil aviation policy".

A NATS spokesman was quoted as saying: "The Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a forecast that the ash cloud from the volcanic eruption in Iceland will track over Europe tonight.

"NATS is working with Eurocontrol and our colleagues in Europe's other air navigation service providers to take the appropriate action to ensure safety in accordance with international aviation policy."

EasyJet warned that the volcanic ash was moving further south and weather experts cautioned that the impact could last some days.

"Following the eruption of a volcano in Iceland yesterday, an ash plume has entered UK and Scandinavian air space overnight. As a result NATS have closed parts of UK air space and this is causing significant disruption to all airlines due to operate flights to / from the UK today," an EasyJet spokeswoman said.

The ariline's passengers are advised to check the website before they leave for the airport for any disruption information.

Airports operator BAA said: "Following advice from the Met Office the National Air Traffic Service has introduced restrictions to UK airspace this morning as a result of volcanic ash drifting across the United Kingdom from Iceland.

"These measures currently affect Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports which are closed but may also affect other parts of the UK later today.

"Passengers intending to fly today are asked to contact their airline for further information and should expect disruption in the coming hours."

With permission from Travelmole
Leeds Bradfod all flights cancelled until at least 7pm tonight.
All London airports to close, no services from 12 noon onwards.

David :wave
I've heard lots of interesting things in the media this morning such as 'why cancel flights, it's only ash' and 'but it's in Iceland, that's miles away'. Volcanic eruptions are quite a dangerous situation for an aircraft to fly in to or downwind of. Captian Eric Moody of flight BA009 in 1982 will tell you why when they unknowingly flew in to a volcanic ash cloud south of Java after Mount Galunggung erupted sending plumes of ash high in the atmosphere. When the aircraft entered the ash cloud (it doesn't show on weather radar), it resulted in the flameout of all 4 engines on their Boeing 747-200. Luckily, after many attempts to restart them, they managed to recover the situation. That is the reason for the closing of airports and airspace while the cloud passes and it's safe for aircraft to resume flights. More information about the events of 1982 and the precautions now taken here.

Darren
Ryanair have cancelled ALL flights to and from the UK and Ireland for today.
They have also cancelled all flights to and from Norway, Sweden and Denmark from 11.30 local time.

John
Just announced that all uk airports will be closed from noon today. source- bbc news channel on Sky.
Dazbo - a classic case of not needing to know the facts to voice an opinion!
My flight from Dusseldorf to Manchester at 14:00 has been cancelled, just trying to get through to transfer onto a flight tomorrow but the lines are solid, can't do it on the internet as they no longer recognise my booking reference.

Hopefully will get home tomorrow.

Dave
The National Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) confirms that no flights will be permitted in UK airspace from 12 noon until at least 6pm.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) confirms that Irish Airspace will be closed from 12 noon until at least 8pm.

Many airline call centres and websites are struggling to cope with the volume of enquiries from passengers.

David :wave
Does anyone know just how long this Ash and what have you says up in the air ?

Will/Could it effect air travel for days to come as my eldest lad is currently in Germany but returns home (hopefully) next week ?

:que
Rotterdam,

You'll just have to keep an eye on the situaton. I don't think anyone can answer the question of how long it will be erupting and how long it will effect air travel at this time. It's a natural event and will last as long as it lasts. The last time a similar event happened in Alaska just over 12 months ago, it effected air travel for a couple of days. The latest information from forecasters suggests the ash could take a number of days to disperse, but it's unknown how long disruption to air space will last at this time.

Darren
Hi everyone, I work with London Luton Airport and thought I'd join this thread so that we can keep everyone updated with what's going on at Luton. Flights will be suspended from middday to 6pm and there will be limited arrivals until 1pm. We advise that you check with your airline before travelling and we will keep everyone updated as soon as we have more information.

Claire
Dazbo, I've been telling everyone about that BA Flight all day, they all think i'm nuts.

Helen
What an absolute nightmare for everyone involved. To all passengers, flight crew, ground staff, airline staff, and everyone else, I do not envy the extra effor it will take you all to get this sorted.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.