Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
WEATHER Q&As
123 Posts
15 day forecast for Bulgaria, all areas (choose city from drop down menu)...

CLICK HERE
The local Bulgarian Weather Forecast website HERE is also a useful resource. 8)
Hi Janey,

The 10-year historical weather data for Bourgas HERE suggests an average temperature range of 52-70 degrees Fahrenheit, with a 97% chance of a warm day (over 60F) and a 1% chance of a hot day (over 90F).

Baldur
We usually go to Turkey in September and the weather is always glorious, we are going to Bulgaria for the first time in May and I'm wondering about the weather.
How hot is it during the day; do you need cardigan at night; is there a lot of difference in temp in early and late May.
Also, do you need a similar amount of spending money as you do in Turkey?
Any advice would be welcome. :)
Hi Skilly,

Welcome to the board.

If you click the 'HERE' link in my post above yours, you will find weather underground 10-year historical weather data for 12-26th May for the Burgas/Sunny Beach area - you can adjust the dates or location to suit your own requirements - you may well need some warm clothing in the evenings in May.

Haven't been to Turkey since there were about 250,000 Lira to the Pound, but Bulgaria is very cheap in comparison with most European destinations, especially outside the resort areas - its new EU member status may have some effect on prices, but should not be too much of an immediate increase because of minute local salaries.

Baldur
The problem in May is not so much the weather as the fact that the holiday season in Bulgaria does not officially start until mid June.

You may find not all facilities - bars, restaurants, kids clubs, and stalls etc, are up and running in May.

Most resorts are just that - no one lives there and they are only open in Summer. Only a handful of hotels on the whole of the Black Sea coast are open all year.

Peter
Hi Susan,

I went to Bulgaria(Sunny Beach) at the back end of May and the weather was hit and miss when i was there,a couple of wet days and cold at night so a cardigan will definitely come in handy,so the later in May the better if you cant make it any other month.

Also as Peter said, when i was there not everything was open, although there was still a lot of bars, restaurants and shops, but the locals said everything doesn't open till the first weekend in June.

Basil.
just booked to go Golden Sands MAY 17th for a week, my brother in law who is now living somewhere near Varna is going to have an almighty shock when we turn up on his doorstep, we will stay at our hotel for a couple of days then get a taxi to his place, what I want to know is what is the weather normally like that time of year, will we need jumpers and long trousers etc. as normally only pack shorts but never been Bulgaria this early before been 3 times before and baked in August, also what currency is best taken now, 5 years since we were last in Sunny Beach and just took £ and changed at the hotel when we needed, is it still the same or not, do I need euros? any answers will be most appreciated. Thanks :D
Weather could be mixed at that time of year.

Money, same as before, still using the Lev for at least a couple more years, but there are more and more cashpoints each year.

Patka
As Patka says, the weather in May can be mixed, historical weather data suggests temperature ranges between the mid-40s to mid-70s Fahrenheit.

If you have a Nationwide Flex Account Debit Card, I have always found that to be the best way of drawing up to 400 Leva per day from ATMs in Bulgaria - no transaction charges, a better exchange rate than cash and safer to carry (the usual caveats about the secure use of ATMs apply, of course).

Baldur
We went to SB in may a few years ago, the weather was mixed some hot days and some cloudy and chilly days, so i would take some warmer clothes just in case, hopefully the weather will be kind to you and you won't need them, but i'm sure you'll have a lovely time whatever the weather.
Suzie
May is getting near the high season so will be warm atleast 60 i would say but you may get a hot spell also which could be nearer 75 - 80oc.

I think Bulgaria has had a warm period so far this year. Take a cardi just in case.
May is getting near high season - The high season for Bulgaria is July and August. The season officially starts Mid June, before then you could well find not all facilities up and running and building work going on.

Patka
High Whisky,
......could be nearer 75 - 80oc

I trust that the 'c' in your post is a typing error, otherwise you appear to be confusing Bulgaria with a planet nearer the Sun than Earth. :wink:
Baldur
We went to S.B at the end of May a few years ago it was very warm in the day, lots of sun burnt people around and fairly cold in the evening.
We did have one morning where it rained spectacularly.
hey I have just booked to go to sunny beach on June 11th for 2 weeks- so excited, what can i expect the weather to be like?
thanx
amy
All things being equal, rather like THIS

It's good to know there's a 0% chance of a freezing day!

Peter
oh thats great thanx!
Ive just found a bargin through work to fly to varna on the 27th of sept for a week, has anyone else been at that time of the year, is it warm?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.