Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
meyrick09,

Simply because the 737-300 are older aircraft and IFE wasn't fitted to them.

Darren
yea, i understand that but they could install an IFE system on them. it would be more benificial to the passengers that have to fly on these aircraft. But on the otherhand the airline would have to put their hand in their pocket and fork out and they propably wouldnt like that.
i meant the airline wouldnt like paying out, not the passengers.
Apparently the 737-300's are leaving the fleet in October. So the airline would just be wasting their money. Why they haven't done it previously I don't know!

Alasdair
meyrick09,

It's not that simple I'm afraid. The IFE system would require type approval which is very expensive. The aircraft would require down time and therefore lost revenue. You can't just install some screens and a digital8 player. Aircraft systems have to withstand heavy g-loadings and conform to very strict guidelines. You're talking many, many thousands of pounds per aircraft and it's probably not economically viable to retrofit them.

roboa wrote:
Apparently the 737-300's are leaving the fleet in October. So the airline would just be wasting their money. Why they haven't done it previously I don't know!

They're staying until at least 2012.

Darren
Oh right, thats why they havnt done it then.

when is the new thomson airways livery going to be introduced and what will it look like?,
will the aircraft from the first choice fleet be gettin the new livery aswell ?
meyrick09,

Please refer to our dedicated Thomsonfly (Thomson airways) thread where this has been discussed numerous times. Aircraft will be painted in the Thomson Airways livery as and when they receive heavy maintenance. The new livery is likely to be the current Thomsonfly, with Thomson Airways titles.

Darren
Thanks Darren for the info - I was getting the impression that the upgrade would not be worth the money but i guess the extra leg room and the free booze throughout will make it worthwhile - I will just have to make sure I dring loads to get value for money....

Great web site and very quick responses - thanks :cheers
britabroad,

No worries. I know this was probably said in jest, but please be careful when you say 'I'll drink loads to get value for money....'. Alcohol effects you far more at altitude so just be careful. The main reason for the upgrade is extra seat pitch, not complimentory alcohol!!

Darren
You are absolutely right and it was said in jest..........As well as the increased seat pitch , I also believe that the seat back tv's are larger in the premium cabin and I am lead to believe that you can pause and rewind the films that are been shown.......I had a return flight from the bahamas without seat back TV's and it was a real long flight where as when i flew to Dubai with Emirates in premium seats, I watched two great films ( Gladiator & Perfect Storm )and then we landed....

The only annoyance with the flight is going via manchester to take on extra fuel this must add 90 mins into the flight time by the time we have took off, landed at manchester, refuelled and took off again......
britabroad,

The IFE is indeed via larger screens in premium and is on-demand so you have the ability to pause, rewind etc anytime. You also have additional games and premium films. This is available to economy passengers via a £5 upgrade. You'll find lots of information over on our dedicated Thomsonfly (Thomson Airways) thread. I've done 14 hours on these aircraft and they excellent. We refuelled in Orlando Sanford rather than Manchester so it was a little more scenic! You'll have great flights, enjoy Mexico :cheers

Darren
Thanks for all the info - I wouldnt mind knowing what the films will be when you find out ( I think this was mentioned on the thread ) also - do you know what games are available as i have a 13 year old son with me and I dont really want him to take his portable gaming machines with me
Darren - i am absolutely amazed at the information you have and your ability to answer any questions......It seems that there is nothing that you dont know ( I wont test you by asking the names of the hostesses on my flight ) but do you know what the menu is for the B'ham - cancun flight TOM 662 - I am not sure whether to have a big breakfast or wait till i get fed on the plane - also how long into the flight is the food served ( dont foret we are going via Manchester )
britabroad wrote:
I wont test you by asking the names of the hostesses on my flight

Angela, John, Sarah, Christine ....... I'm joking!! :rofl

You'll find meal information on page 162 of the above thread. Meals are normally served about 1 - 1.5 hours after leaving Manchester.

Darren
Ok thanks - one last question ( for now ) if you were on this flight and were booked into premium class - which 4 seats would you book. I guess that most of the view is just water but I am still thinking of having 2 x 2 with two window seats rather than sit in the middle...

I am so glad I found this web site......
britabroad,

As before, you might want to have a look on the dedicate Thomsonfly (Thomson Airways) thread for more than just my opinion. Seating is personal preference so I couldn't really say which ones to go for. Some don't like the first row (behind the bulkhead) as they have a little less room to strech your legs out and are slightly narrower. The remaining 4 rows are pretty much equal. I prefer window seats, but others don't like to see how high they are! Apart from take off and landing, all you'll see is water and clouds, maybe an odd aircraft heading the same way. Depending on your exact routing (ie southern or northern depending on traffic, winds and the jetsream position on the day), you may get a view of the eastern seaboard of America. I once got some great views over New York. You'll need to be on the starboard side for that (right).

Darren
Hi all,

Booked a holiday today with Thomas Cook - worked out cheaper than DIY!!!

My flight numbers are TCX 896 from BHX to Palma 22/8/09.

Can anybody tell me what plane that would be please?

(Have also posted this in Thomas cook thread - tried to delete it there but I can still see it) Sorry admin :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.