General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Nothing, I am on holiday not a shopping trip
Ah, but my excuse is this is what I've saved for, so I have to treat myself ;)
If I'm going on holiday with a friend then I buy a bottle of Vodka for a pre-dinner drink, usually when sitting on the hotel balcony.

If it's one of my regular flights or ferry trips to and from the Uk I might buy L'Occitane handcream, other than that I rarely purchase anything, though I do like to have a walk round looking at what's on offer.
  • Edited by Judith 2011-04-06 08:47:52
If I'm flying via the UK I often get dry sherry which is very hard to find over here and costs a fortune. This is the one indulgence that's cheaper duty-free than buying in a local shop, and still makes a fantastic aperitif especially when chilled!
I buy perfume normally a couple of bottles and some mac make up, as its a hell of alot cheaper than house of frazer or selfridges, plus my perfume i normally get is a few quid cheaper...also my ysl radient touch stick..
The only thing I really buy is perfume, that is my treat :)
Nothing these days....I can buy my perfume and aftershave for the men in my life, as cheap or cheaper on-line.

Sanji
Drink cigs perfume sweets and after shave ...we go away 2 or 3 times a year and there is no way I could go away with out getting something .plus on the way back we always get some whiskey .on the flight ...colleen
I don't buy anything. In fact the duty free prices at UK airports are often more expensive than Tescos anyway. A couple of years ago I bought a dozen bottles of wine at Cite de Europe on the way back from France because they were knocking out wine at £2 a bottle. The wine was usually £3 a bottle in the UK and I had space in the car for a box.
Nothing usually. I agree that you can get perfume as cheap elsewhere. Flew from Gatwick a few weeks ago and I was looking at Radley bags. The same one as I bought in the Trafford Centre was more expensive in the duty free.
I usually buy perfume if I'm down to my last bottle or two. I know I can get it for the same price or cheaper elsewhere but it's not about the money. For me, it's part of my holiday routine. This is the only time I'll treat myself to some perfume and I enjoy walking around trying various ones out.

I sometimes get aftershave for my hubby or two sons. If I already have enough perfume I'll have a look at the make-up and skin care products to see if there's something I fancy. I normally buy a bottle or two of spirits at the departure airport on my way back if the prices are cheaper than my local supermarket. Found a bargain last summer at Dalaman airport where I bought a loarge bottle of Metaxa for the equivalent of £12- it was £17 in my local Asda ;)
I enjoy looking round, I don't go in to Duty Free with the intention of buying something, but if I see something I like I'll get it. Last time I was in there I got a lovely Radley handbag. I also look at perfumes to see what offers they have on.I'll be heading straight for the handbags in a few weeks, as they do have some really nice ones.
Nowt really..we have a look and if owt catches the eye we will buy.

Last time, we bought some perfume for daughter and a shirt for laddo...but only as it caught our eye...
I always buy my holiday perfume at Newcastle Airport, I love squirting on different fragrances. Every three years or so I also treat my self to some new sunglasses......which reminds me...it's new sunglasses time...all the "diamonds" have fallen off one side of my Versace ones. :)
Coming back it's usually Absolut Vanilla x 2 bottles as it's hard to come by where I live, a bottle for the summer evenings and another for Christmas. :cheers
I think I fall into the "if something catches my eye, then ill buy it" category too. Dont go into duty free with the intention of buying anything. I always find things just as expensive as anywhere else so dont really see the point. Coming home, if ive got any change left over then I might spend that, but again, dont go in with the intention of getting anything.
Does anyone else do the same as me - spray around 6 perfumes in various places, then wait for a while to see which one is nicest. Of course when the time comes - I've forgotten which one it was :) Now, I usually test in places like Boots or Debenhams, and decide exactly what I like, then if I don't try anything nicer in the airport, I buy the original one.
Cant say i go in Duty free to buy any thing in particular but do love walking around and having a good look, before we go i always say to hubby we should get a bottle or two to drink on the balcony of an evening , but we never do , hubby doesn't wear aftershave and i usually buy perfume when i need it from shops at home , i have bought watches on the plane
If you are airside and in a 'duty free' area why is the booze in the bars more expensive than in a regular pub?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.