Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Last time i went to Tunisia you had to buy the currency once you you got there and change it back before you left country. Best to do it on a daily basis as it can change. Same rate wherever you go to change it i found. I took sterling. Hope this is of some help.
Hi shellbarlow - If I were you, I would ignore the offer to sell you currency. If you take a Nationwide debit/visa card, you will not be charged for with drawing cash from any of the many ATM's you see all over the place. Failing this, you can exchange sterling at all the banks and most hotels - and the exchange rate is set by the Government, so no worries there. Failing that, you can take traveller's cheques and exchange these at most hotels and all banks. Have a lovely holiday - Jenny x
Thank you Jenny !!
I appreciate the advice x :)
The travel agent needs to do their research! - whatever currency you take out you'd have to exchange it for Dinars anyway, so there's little point in buying dollars or euros. I take some sterling and use ATMs for the rest.
hi all we are going to p e k on 17th august 08 cant wait.
At monistar airport can you change english money into tunisian currency as will take cash as you get charged if you use a card abroad..
any help will be grateful.
thanks phil and jacquie
Hi presty, if you have a Nationwide visa/debit card you will not be charged for cash withdrawals abroad. If you do not have one, it is worth considering it for the future.
There is a Bureau be Charge in Monastir airport where you can change your sterling for dinars. You can also change your sterling at some hotels and all banks. There is also an ATM next door to the large supermarket in P. el K. where you can feed your sterling notes in and receive dinars back. Remember to change your spare money back to sterling before you leave. Enjoy your holiday - Jenny x
there's always a big queue at the airport - most hotels have a bureau de change in them - might be worth checking with them before you go?
Hi,

If you have some Euros you want to use up, you could take these to use in Duty Free, as you can't use Dinars there. But as they also take Sterling or plastic it isn't worth getting Euros specially.

A.
We have been back a while now and my suggestion as to which money to take with you would be stirling !! Its much easier.
Hi Shell, good to have your feedback which will help a lot of others new to Tunisia. Jenny x
Back a week now :( and would agree with that, Sterling is probably best, make sure that it is only Bank of England notes. We also used ATM's a couple of times with no problems.

You can give out pound coins for a tip when you just arrive until you get some Dinar. Don't worry if you are approached by somebody like a waiter or porter asking to change pound coins, they can't use them and once they have about £10 they will try and change them with you for Dinar.

If you exchange money or use an ATM keep the receipt as you will have to show them if you want to change your Dinar back to Sterling at the airport.
Try and only exchange / obtain what you will think you will use in local currency as it will cost you to exchange your money back to Sterling at the airport.

The exchange rate is fixed and was the same everywhere, 2.23 Dinar to the £1 a week.

This is a good guide to take with you, cut it out and put in your purse/wallet
http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

Graham
Certainly agree with you about the Oanda Cheat Sheet Kiltman. I always print a couple off and laminate them to take with me. They are also useful when the locals ask you to change sterling to dinars for them as you can show them the official exchange rate. This can actually be quite useful if you want to get rid of some of your currency at the end of the holiday, which is why I usually ask the lads in the hotel to see me at the end of the holiday if they want money changed. I'm not too bothered any way. as I usually go out at least twice a year so always take dinars in and out with me, despite the official advice. I've never had any problems so far and have 110 dinars ready for my next trip, which saves the bother of changing it up at the airport for a taxi etc. Obviously this is no use if you are unlikely to return however. You could also use dinars at the coffee shop in the departure lounge at Monastir airport last time I went through.
your right about spending your dinars at the airport cafe in monastir aslemma,we got rid of our last dinars no problem
I went in travel agents and they said take travellers cheques in dollars, is that right or should i just get travellers cheques in pounds ?
i also asked at the travel agents for advice about what to take T/cheques in either sterling or euro's , they said its a personal choice , i like travellers cheques fopr the security side of things , but we have decided to take sterling cash and a lot of £1 coins for the first day or two .
I always use Sterling travellers Cheques in Tunisia
The advantage of sterling tq's is that if you don't use them all you won't lose out having to change them back to sterling as you would if they were dollar cheques.

Leanna xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.