Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello cjc 1, on a cruise so if you are there for just one day, the ships dock just by the Cais do Sodre train station from here you can walk to the city centre or get the metro two stops to the Rossio in the heart of the town.
Most of the sites can be seen from here, but if you walk along the sea front along the Avenida Da Ribeira Das naus you will come to the Praca do Comercio a big square built after the 1755 earth quake with its Arco Triunfal and statue of king Jose 1 go through thr arch and into the Rua Augusta this road is full of outdoor cafes, or turn right and go up the hill to the 12th cetury Se (cathedral) and up a lot more to the castle of Soa Jorge ( St George ) for great views of most of Lisbon.
If you can get to the Church of St Vincent de Fora, you can see it from the castle this is the site were most of the Braganza kings of Portugal have there tombs, back down in the Rossio you can have a ride on the funicula up to see the church of Sao Roque one of the best church's in Lisbon and the ruined Convento do Carmo left as it was again after the 1755 earthquake.
If you have seen all this by dinner time you could then go back to the Cais do Sodre and get the train to Belem to the Mosteiro dos Jeronmos/the Torre de Belem/Padrao dos Descobrimentos/ the Marinha museum/ or the Coach Museum and don't forget to have a Paste de Belem a small type of egg custard tart.
Take a look at this web site and klick on Lisbon to see some of the place above.
http://www.portugalvirtual.pt

Dave
Hi TRH

Found the above info very usefull, I'm hoping to take an extended weekend to Lisbon in October, I will buy a guide book and swot up on places to visit before my travel but any more tips on what to see would be gratefully received.
A good way to see Lisbon is to go on the number 28 tram. This takes you through all the narrow, winding streets of the old town. The open top bus tours are also good. You can hop on and off at various points round the city and the ticket also includes travel on the tram network

The metro system , although quite small, is fast , clean and efficient. One trip you can make on the Metro is out to the Expo site where there is a very large and interesting Aquarium. Further afield you can visit Sintra which has a royal palace and other interesting buildings. It takes half an hour on the train which runs every half hour.

One tip if arriving by air and you want a taxi, is not to go to the taxi rank but go to the tourist information desk . You pay them the fixed price , they will take you outside and call up the taxi, so avoiding having to queue.

Here is the Sintra web-site :-

http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/costadelisboa/sintra/
Hello Judith, I have been to Lisbon on to long weekend breaks twice and also hade a two week summer holiday last year when we stayed in Estoril, just outside Lisbon but did go to see some of the sites that we did not have time to see on our weekend breaks.
Two tips, on the Guide book I have two the D K eyewitness travel guide and the Timeout Lisbon guide, but I would say that the D K one is the best.
Travel around the city is easy if you get a travel card from the Carris kiosk under the Elevador de Santa Juusta. This gives you a three day pass on the Bus/Trams/Funiculars and the Metro and is better than paying out for each trip.
You can get a Lisboa card from the Tourist Office these give you the same travel options and entry to most of the Museums, but are a lot dearer, you can get into some of the Museums on a Sunday for free.

Dave
Many thanks for the posts. I can start planning right away.
Hello Glynis, here's one from before.

Dave
I'll be visiting Lisbon/ Cascais around Eastertime.
Does anyone know which days will museums/shops be closed over this period?
I'm interested in art. Which museums would have the most extensive collections?
Does anyone know if you can travel from Cascais to Sintra by train or do you have to travel into Lisbon for that destination?
Hope someone can help!
The most prestigious museum in Lisbon is the Gulbenkian Foundation , which is located just beyond the Edward VII park . There are loads of others as this link shows :-
http://lisboa.kpnqwest.pt/i/cidade/museus.html

And here is more information about the Gulbenkain museum :-

http://www.lastminute.com/site/find/World/Europe/Portugal/Lisbon/WOW-Attraction-110040.html
Hello Glynis, here's one from before.

Many thanks - it's very helpful.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.