Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Kefalonia - every time ........... Scala. Lovely beach resort, not too touristy - great tavernas, bars - no over-top discos. Beautiful scenery and mountain drives. Tara Beach Hotel brilliant, on the beach.
Maria H-There's no such thing as a bad Greek island (or mainland) IMHO - just someone who chose the wrong resort for them.

You have put that so well!
We loved Tsilivi but have not been back for 6 years( having been 5 times up till then- I think) I don't think I would want to go back as it seems to have turned too "British" now- if you know what I mean.
We loved Poros- beautiful little island.
Tolon- on the mainland as there were so many trips to do!
Lindos- we went in October a couple of years ago and it was gorgeous! Sugar cube houses and great bars and restaurants in original houses.Would love to return.
Crete- Stalis.
So where on Skiathos would any of you recommend to stay. Troulos has been an option but I want accommodation that is quiet to stay at but has a pool and nice places to eat and drink. I have also posted a message on this site re: Villa Angela at Aselinos. It comes highly recommended, and only 5 mins by car from Troulos, but is quite isolated. Any thoughts and info. from anyone welcome.
Best Greek island?

Let's see...

Kefalonia was beautiful - went before Corelli fever and stayed in Katelios (next to Turtle Beach). Loved Vathi on Ithaca as well (went on a day trip from Argostoli)

Alikes in Zakynthos was lovely - great beach and fantastic tavernas. However, I understand that it has become too overdeveloped. Shame. The boat trip 'round the island is a must. The caves are a must-see even if the picturesque Shipwreck Cove is a bit of an anti-climax...

Skiathos - stayed in Koukounaries. Nice pension but the beach (probably the best in the whole of Greece) was overcrowded at times and the tevernas were pricey. It was cheaper to go and eat in Skiathos Town where the views of the harbour at dusk are phenomenal.

Rhodes was hot. Pefkos Beach resort has now doubled in size and, according to a friend who went there last year, it has lost it's "family" run appeal. Lindos was nice for a day out, though the highlight for me was an evening stroll through Rhodes Town. Falaraki still worries me though.

Santorini was the island that I took the most photos. The caldera from Thira and the views from the mountain seperating Perissa and Kalamata(?) were my personal favourites.

Went to Crete last year (Kalives) and it was the best for me and my wife for two different reasons. I loved the history and culture (Knossos, Heraklion, Chania, etc.) whilst my wife loved the good selection of tavernas, the peacefulness (not on a Sunday!) and the friendliness of evrybody on the island.

This year we are off to Thassos (Golden Beach) - in 12 days! :D Can't wait.

I guess that everyone likes their own small part of Greece. The experiences obtained on your own trips will lead you to liking or disliking that trip. We, thankfully, haven't had a bad experience - and therefore we love Greece! :D
Been touring the Greek Islands since 1981 and have done many and as other people have said a lot depends on the resort where you stay, My favourite is Kefalonia, and yes long before Captain Corelli, certain part of Corfu are lovely, enjoyed Zanti way back in the 80's on return 4 year later found it had developed very touristy, Loved Andros, and Syros, but still have a lot to try and once again it's what suits you, but Greece will always be my favourite place to holiday resort,.
pojo
Having spent the last 6 years holidaying in Greece mostly island wandering, many places are burnt into my heart.
However when my numbers finally come up on the lottery I will settle in Keflonia.
but then again I still have many Greek islands to visit starting with Santorini Ios Paros & Naxos in 22 days time.

Enjoy them all whatever one you choose
Johnandfran, my Favorite is Kefalonia but have a great trip on your next holiday and tell us all about it.
pojo
Loved Santorini - did it the old way, bumming round the islands (1996). Its reputation preceded it even then and I wasn't disappointed. We went in late September, headed straight up to Thira and found a very nice room straight off. (is it still like that in the islands?) I could have just sat in a taverna all day drinking in those views.

Also loved Andros - again, on a bumming around holiday, we ended up on Andros (1979 - visiting a mate who was working there) and being usnure where to go, got a bus to Andros town. It was utterly heavenly. Totally undeveloped there were, in total, nine British tourists in the town at that time. We all met every night for dinner, ushered in to the taverna kitchen by owners George and "Elvis" and treated like family.

I gather Andros main town is still not "touristy" because the Greeks keep it for themselves. Even so, I'm scared to back and have my memories shattered! Long lies, fresh made yoghurt for breakfast, all day on the beach with some cheese and salad, swimming, sleeping and back to the taverna to meet up for the evening. It was utter heaven.

Not everybody's cup of tea though!

meg
Me and my boyfriend are looking to go to greece again next year. We are both 21 but do not like all the lively places. We went to laganas and kardamena and although we had a great place we are looking for somewhere quieter and un spoilt. However will will want plenty of restaurants, shops etc.

I was thinking Santorini (kamari) or Lesvos. We want to go somewhere that no-one else we know has been too.

Can you reccomend anything?
Have a look at the Parga.com website.. it's on the mainland, but it might just fit your bill (I am biased I have been going there, on and off, for 24 years) It remains Very "Greek"
and has probably just about the amount of varied night life you might be looking for
Hi Clarire,

a group of 6 of us are going to Kamari in Santorini in 11 days time. We are frequent visitors to the Greek Islands and wanted something a bit 'special' this year. We have heard good reports about Santorini and are really looking forward to the holiday. However if you're on a budget maybe this wouldn't be the place as we've heard that it's a bit pricey. We'll have to see when we get there. Nevertheless, it's our main vacation and we don't intend to count the pennies. Hope you find something suitable. Good luck.
Each island has it's own charms, and disadvantages too!

I've sailed around lots of them over the years, and written up my opinions of many of them on my web site:

http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/

Although much of the site is written for the guidance of those who are planning sailboat cruises, many of the comments are useful for people planning shore based holidays. I'd welcome corrections or further opinions . . .

JimB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.