Holiday Truths Forum

It is currently Jul 31st, '14, 23:42

What toiletries and medical supplies do you take on hols?

Author     Message
PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 13:21 
I always seem to go away with tonnes of stuff! I tried to buy it on the departures side of the airport as it weighs so much, but maybe I need to cull a few things from my list.

What do you guys take? Here's my list:

Shampoo (hubby is bald so no need of this for him!)
Conditioner (ditto!)
Shower gel (I make my husband share mine!)
Toothpaste & brushes
Perfume
Aftershave
Deoderants
Mosquito plug in
Mosquito repellant
Mosquito wipes
Mosquito clicky electric shock thing (can you see a trend?)
Bite cream
Make up
Sun cream (usually at least two different SPF factors)
After sun
Immodium
Nurofen
Rehydrytion powders

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:30 
I used to take a list like that but since I've started going to Goa all I take is suntan lotion and aftersun everything else I buy once there usually a lot cheaper. I travel a lot for work and have a collection of hotel toiletries and stick a shampoo conditioner and showergel in to use as soon as I get there.

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:46 
Ditch the perfume & aftershave, they attract mosquitos, if you don't wear them you'll then need less of some of the other stuff!
Get Boots aftersun moisturiser with built in mozzie repellant, two in one job there!
For shampoo, conditioner & shower gel make sure you have small sizes, or save any small containers to put only the amount needed in & throw away at the end.

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:50 
Unfortunately, I have very thick, waist length hair so on a two week holiday I will get through a standard sized bottle of shampoo and conditioner!

I take your point about the perfume and aftershave and aftersun though. I feel naked without perfume, but I think I will have to give it up on hols :(

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:54 
The same as you haymans plus, a few plasters, hair styling lotion and wax, tan maximiser and disposable razors.

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:59 
Just be grateful hubby hasn't got waist length hair too! I think you have his share!

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 19:19 
Hi
I feel like I am a walking chemist shop when I go away, put things in my lugggage "just in case", I even split the medicines up so I have some in my hand luggage and some in my case, anybody would think I holidayed in Outer Mongolia!! :yikes
I am a better with toiletries, never use perfume because of mozzies, take small bottles of shampoo etc or decant into smaller bottles depending how long I am on holiday.
M

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 19:33 
OMG what's a tan maximiser?

You are meant to be helping me cut down my toiletries not adding to them :rofl

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 21:17 
Latest Holiday Review:
Tropicana Grand Azure Resort
Same as you Haymans - plus plasters, zovirax, strepsils and probably more :rofl

PostPosted: Oct 21st, '10, 07:34 
1 of shampoo , shower gel , bar soap, deodorant , toothpaste, avon skin so soft , aftersun , i take 3 or 4 suncreams and then buy more in resort if needs be , plug in , i dont take make up only a couple of lip glosses , i took a body spray this year but think the cleaner used it as it only lasted about 4 days (haha ), i did take 2 perfumes the handbag size from next put them in the clear plastic bag as hand luggage, i only take prescribed medicines with us . I share the bulk of toiletries between the two suitcases

PostPosted: Oct 21st, '10, 21:09 
I take:

shower gel
strepsils (sp?)
pacentmels (I can never spell it)
anti-dirreheau tablets (I so need to learn how to spell medicines)
travel sickness tablets
lipbalm
rennies
toothbaste
handcream
shampoo/conditioner
deoderant, anti-persiphant and perfume

Thinks that all I took last time (bad memory and I only got home early Sunday lol)
(edited to add more)

Last edited by Tarry on Oct 24th, '10, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '10, 09:09 
I take sun tan lotion and cocoa butter (instead of after sun), make up (mascara, eyeliner & lip balm), hair serum, a packet of paracetamol, plasters, sachets of calpol for the children and antihistamine. The rest I buy when I get there. I used to take loads but then thought it was silly as everything is easily available in the supermarket when I get there.

I don't take perfume either, not only does it attract mozzies but it evaporates so quick in the heat that you can't smell it after a while anyway. In Turkey I use lemon cologne instead.

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '10, 14:39 
Deodorant body spray, hair styling x 2 (wax/creme), shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste & brush, moisturiser, face soap, razor, shave gel, aftershave, sun lotions (F10 & F6), oils (F4 & F2), body butter, plasters, antihistamines, beechams resolve, nurofen, condoms, anthisan, bite stick, plug in repellent, spray on repellent, savlon, calamine & glycerine cream.....might be more??

and then my girlfriend will have all her stuff too :duh

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '10, 17:27 
I take mini sizes of basic toiletries and buy more on holiday if I run out. Never take perfume but do take antibiotics and imodium.

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '10, 20:34 
All the usual- 2 in 1 shampoo, hairspray, golden locks spritz, wax, deodorant, perfume, shower gel, toothpaste, sun lotion, after sun lotion, bug spray, bite spray, immodium, paracetamol, plasters, rehydration salts, gaviscon, lip balm.

PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '10, 16:25 
When my son was young and used to take him on holiday the list was endless, had plenty of 'just in case' items - now it's just me, have the dry oil, which i prefer as its not oily on the skin and does not mark clothing items, body lotion insect wristbands (otherwise I get eaten) ibuprofen and plasters (and my own medication which goes in hand luggage) - nothing like it used to be thankgoodness - but when children are small you always just to have your 'just in case' things don't you.

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '10, 12:38 
I usually do leave the kitchen sink behind but I'm envious of the short lists that so many of you manage with! When holidaying in Europe I cut back on the things in the First Aid kit that I know that I can get from a pharmacy if need be but when I go to Cuba you can never be sure what is going to be available so I'm afraid that I take the lot but decant the toiletries into smaller bottles wherever possible!

Toiletries

Shower cream
Soap
2in1 shampoo
Skin serum
Day Moisturiser
Night cream
Eye cream
Deodorant
Talcum powder
Toothpast and brush
Cleansing wipes
Suncream (SPFs 35 & 15)
Aftersun (both face and body!)
Sanitising hand gel
Paper tissues
Insect repellant

Plus basic make-up kit of eyeshadow, kohl pencil, mascara, lippy and translucent face powder.

First Aid Kit

Antiseptic wipes and cream
Antihistamine pills and cream
Plasters,
Blister Plasters
Colloidal dressings
Melolin non-stick dressings
Burn dressings
Film dressings
Dressing tape
Tubigrip bandage
Tubular jersey bandage
Triangular bandage
Painkillers
Tweezers
Scissors
Immodium
Rehydration salts
Cystitis treatment
Cold remedies (eg Beechams or Lemsip)

Plus 3 different lots of prescription medication.

And, yes, at some point I've needed to use every item in the first aid kit - even in the Canaries on one notable trip where I tripped with a kettle full of water in my hand and both my parents fell over whilst we were out walking and where in need of having bad grazes dressed! I must be particularly accident prone and have an accident prone family! The contents have grown as each eventuality has materialised!

SM

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '10, 14:59 
SMa - on my goodness that list probably was similar to mine when my son was young :rofl

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '10, 15:48 
Quote:
but when children are small you always just to have your 'just in case' things don't you.

and as I'm now realising, Miss Pink, you also need an awful lot of 'just in case' things when travelling with the elderly too :D

Seriously though, you can't take anything for granted in Cuba and one of the best presents I can leave my hosts is the bulk of the contents of the first aid kit! For some reason, last summer there was a real shortage of cold and flu remedy stuff around and big hints were dropped before I left home that these would be very welcome as a gift to take out with me. Along with the usual bottle of Scotch too of course ;)

SM

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '10, 16:07 
SMa said
Quote:
Along with the usual bottle of Scotch too of course

Now you're talking :tup

Page 1 of 1
 [ 20 posts ]