General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I used to take a list like that but since I've started going to Goa all I take is suntan lotion and aftersun everything else I buy once there usually a lot cheaper. I travel a lot for work and have a collection of hotel toiletries and stick a shampoo conditioner and showergel in to use as soon as I get there.
Ditch the perfume & aftershave, they attract mosquitos, if you don't wear them you'll then need less of some of the other stuff!
Get Boots aftersun moisturiser with built in mozzie repellant, two in one job there!
For shampoo, conditioner & shower gel make sure you have small sizes, or save any small containers to put only the amount needed in & throw away at the end.
Unfortunately, I have very thick, waist length hair so on a two week holiday I will get through a standard sized bottle of shampoo and conditioner!

I take your point about the perfume and aftershave and aftersun though. I feel naked without perfume, but I think I will have to give it up on hols :(
The same as you haymans plus, a few plasters, hair styling lotion and wax, tan maximiser and disposable razors.
Just be grateful hubby hasn't got waist length hair too! I think you have his share!
Hi
I feel like I am a walking chemist shop when I go away, put things in my lugggage "just in case", I even split the medicines up so I have some in my hand luggage and some in my case, anybody would think I holidayed in Outer Mongolia!! :yikes
I am a better with toiletries, never use perfume because of mozzies, take small bottles of shampoo etc or decant into smaller bottles depending how long I am on holiday.
M
OMG what's a tan maximiser?

You are meant to be helping me cut down my toiletries not adding to them :rofl
Same as you Haymans - plus plasters, zovirax, strepsils and probably more :rofl
1 of shampoo , shower gel , bar soap, deodorant , toothpaste, avon skin so soft , aftersun , i take 3 or 4 suncreams and then buy more in resort if needs be , plug in , i dont take make up only a couple of lip glosses , i took a body spray this year but think the cleaner used it as it only lasted about 4 days (haha ), i did take 2 perfumes the handbag size from next put them in the clear plastic bag as hand luggage, i only take prescribed medicines with us . I share the bulk of toiletries between the two suitcases
I take:

shower gel
strepsils (sp?)
pacentmels (I can never spell it)
anti-dirreheau tablets (I so need to learn how to spell medicines)
travel sickness tablets
lipbalm
rennies
toothbaste
handcream
shampoo/conditioner
deoderant, anti-persiphant and perfume

Thinks that all I took last time (bad memory and I only got home early Sunday lol)
(edited to add more)
  • Edited by Tarry 2010-10-24 21:27:36
I take sun tan lotion and cocoa butter (instead of after sun), make up (mascara, eyeliner & lip balm), hair serum, a packet of paracetamol, plasters, sachets of calpol for the children and antihistamine. The rest I buy when I get there. I used to take loads but then thought it was silly as everything is easily available in the supermarket when I get there.

I don't take perfume either, not only does it attract mozzies but it evaporates so quick in the heat that you can't smell it after a while anyway. In Turkey I use lemon cologne instead.
Deodorant body spray, hair styling x 2 (wax/creme), shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste & brush, moisturiser, face soap, razor, shave gel, aftershave, sun lotions (F10 & F6), oils (F4 & F2), body butter, plasters, antihistamines, beechams resolve, nurofen, condoms, anthisan, bite stick, plug in repellent, spray on repellent, savlon, calamine & glycerine cream.....might be more??

and then my girlfriend will have all her stuff too :duh
I take mini sizes of basic toiletries and buy more on holiday if I run out. Never take perfume but do take antibiotics and imodium.
All the usual- 2 in 1 shampoo, hairspray, golden locks spritz, wax, deodorant, perfume, shower gel, toothpaste, sun lotion, after sun lotion, bug spray, bite spray, immodium, paracetamol, plasters, rehydration salts, gaviscon, lip balm.
When my son was young and used to take him on holiday the list was endless, had plenty of 'just in case' items - now it's just me, have the dry oil, which i prefer as its not oily on the skin and does not mark clothing items, body lotion insect wristbands (otherwise I get eaten) ibuprofen and plasters (and my own medication which goes in hand luggage) - nothing like it used to be thankgoodness - but when children are small you always just to have your 'just in case' things don't you.
I usually do leave the kitchen sink behind but I'm envious of the short lists that so many of you manage with! When holidaying in Europe I cut back on the things in the First Aid kit that I know that I can get from a pharmacy if need be but when I go to Cuba you can never be sure what is going to be available so I'm afraid that I take the lot but decant the toiletries into smaller bottles wherever possible!

Toiletries

Shower cream
Soap
2in1 shampoo
Skin serum
Day Moisturiser
Night cream
Eye cream
Deodorant
Talcum powder
Toothpast and brush
Cleansing wipes
Suncream (SPFs 35 & 15)
Aftersun (both face and body!)
Sanitising hand gel
Paper tissues
Insect repellant

Plus basic make-up kit of eyeshadow, kohl pencil, mascara, lippy and translucent face powder.

First Aid Kit

Antiseptic wipes and cream
Antihistamine pills and cream
Plasters,
Blister Plasters
Colloidal dressings
Melolin non-stick dressings
Burn dressings
Film dressings
Dressing tape
Tubigrip bandage
Tubular jersey bandage
Triangular bandage
Painkillers
Tweezers
Scissors
Immodium
Rehydration salts
Cystitis treatment
Cold remedies (eg Beechams or Lemsip)

Plus 3 different lots of prescription medication.

And, yes, at some point I've needed to use every item in the first aid kit - even in the Canaries on one notable trip where I tripped with a kettle full of water in my hand and both my parents fell over whilst we were out walking and where in need of having bad grazes dressed! I must be particularly accident prone and have an accident prone family! The contents have grown as each eventuality has materialised!

SM
SMa - on my goodness that list probably was similar to mine when my son was young :rofl
but when children are small you always just to have your 'just in case' things don't you.

and as I'm now realising, Miss Pink, you also need an awful lot of 'just in case' things when travelling with the elderly too :D

Seriously though, you can't take anything for granted in Cuba and one of the best presents I can leave my hosts is the bulk of the contents of the first aid kit! For some reason, last summer there was a real shortage of cold and flu remedy stuff around and big hints were dropped before I left home that these would be very welcome as a gift to take out with me. Along with the usual bottle of Scotch too of course ;)

SM
SMa said
Along with the usual bottle of Scotch too of course

Now you're talking :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.