UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
gatwick every time even though it is a 4 hour bus ride ) i do like the smoking shed in bristol too
Newcastle Airport.

Plus Points: it is on the doorstep,can be there in 20 mins.
it is a well run modern airport with good shops,food,drink etc.

Negative points : you are limited to the destinations availabe to the likes of Manchester or Gatwick
Well I tend to only go to London Gatwick as it's the closest to me, and as I mainly travel with Thomson it's Gatwick North terminal. I am more than happy with their facilities and it's only about an hour from my home. Normally I get a lift, but on the occasion that I can't, Taxi is the answer for me, I don't like to drive after travelling as I am tired.
East Midlands: You can still have a fag after going through security.
Birmingham as it is only 15 minutes away. More flights from Brum please then you can forget about a new runway down south.
Cardiff every time - never busy, reasonable range of shops and restaurants....and only 10 minutes drive for us !! ;)
Unfortunately, little choice of holiday destination nowadays, so we have to drive to Gatwick to get to the longer haul routes -also VERY expensive compared with travelling from the larger airports -it was cheaper for us to fly from B'Ham last year to Corfu -even allowing for an overnight stay,8 days parking and petrol, we saved over £250 :yikes
Doncaster Robin Hood....
Arrived back from Malaga yesterday afternoon and this airport manages to wind me up. :evil:
They are lucky if they have the maximum of 10 flights a day and when two flights do arrive a few minutes apart, they can't cope.
The passport control.....2 blokes checking passports and approximately 400 people from an Alicante and a Malaga flight ....unable to get into the building and stood outside because of the queue, it's a good job it wasn't raining.

I would say 90% of the passengers were like myself...a British pensioner....yet they went through the checking as though we'd just landed from Kazakhstan...the only saving grace was that the luggage was waiting on the carousal.

The airport is 25 minutes away in a taxi and apart from the convenience of being on my doorstep, which does make me book holidays from Donny because it's a trek to either East Midlands or Leeds Bradford...and a nightmare to Manchester.......it doesn't have a lot else going for it.

Few flights and they're more expensive.,,,Imo : if Thomson pull out, that will be the end of it.
A Weatherspoons, a duty free shop and a small Smiths that's like the local corner shop with very little choice.
No newspapers if you have an early flight.
A cage airside to have a smoke.

They're spending £millions on new link roads and this place will always be in the regional backwater....which is a pity because it's a modern clean building.

Sanji x
We have flown from Newcastle, East Midlands, Birmingham, Belfast International, Stansted, London City and Gatwick.

My preference would be Stansted as we are only 20 mile away and I find it calm, and everything it within ears shot making it easy to get around. However, due to lack of long haul destination flights with our chosen carrier we tend to fly from Gatwick which is only a further 25/30 mile away than Stansted. For a hop across to Jersey, you can't beat London City which is only 20 mins away ... lovely little airport:-)
If we're just talking about the airport itself - not the time taken to get there etc, then for me it's Bristol. Just enough to do, to spend a couple of hours without feeling overwhelmed by all the people and all the shops. Some of the larger airports actually make me feel claustrophobic, due to the amount of people there. The last time we flew from Gatwick, I stood in a queue for 35 minutes, just to order breakfast. By the time it came, we had to wolf it down, as the boarding gate had opened :que Cardif is my closest airport, but as has been said, flights from there are very expensive.
It seems to be that people like airports that are close as their favourites , I suppose for the convenience and ease , in that respect I like LGW as its closest to us and we know our way around the airport , very lucky in that there are many routes served from there , but we still use T5 about twice a year and I like that terminal just as much , to be fair though we are usually tucked up in a lounge so don't actually have to endure the the departure terminal that much

For choice and price and being able to use our preferred carrier both LGW and LHR T5 are the best for us
Hi Helen,

Totally agree with you regarding Gatwick and feeling claustrophobic and being over whelmed by the crowds ... I tend to feel the same myself. In previous years my hubby would trapeze around all the shops, now I insist that we book a lounge to avoid the crowds and have some quiet time before boarding lol!
[It seems to be that people like airports that are close as their favourite/quote]
Is it because they are the closest, or because they're more familiar with them?
With me, its definitely travelling time to and from -we have been home making a cup of tea,less than an hour after landing at Cardiff ! As a contrast,it took us 7 hours on various grid locked M ways , to get home from Gatwick last year :yikes
brewerdave wrote:
With me, its definitely travelling time to and from -we have been home making a cup of tea,less than an hour after landing at Cardiff ! As a contrast,it took us 7 hours on various grid locked M ways , to get home from Gatwick last year :yikes

Agree about the grid locked M ways.
Used Gatwick a lot when i lived in Cambridge, but now I'm in Nottm, it's a fair old journey.
My favourite by far was Durham Tees Valley ( Teeside) airport but sadly it has now more or less gone :( Only about 20mins away and a very small & cute airport.

Nothing much there in the way of shops but had an outside eating drinking area where you could sit in the fresh air. Being only small it was hardly ever crowded and nothing was too far away.

Our nearest now are Newcastle or Leeds Bradford. Out of the two I prefer LB as again it's only small. Landing here in the wind can be a little :yikes mind you.

I flew last year, and are doing so this year, from East Mildands. A bit further for us to travel but again it's not a massive airport and has a smoking area airside.

I think you can guess that I don't like large, sprawled out airports. Small is best for me :tup

Majorca and Malaga :( miles to walk anywhere and huge queues.
Helen T wrote:
[It seems to be that people like airports that are close as their favourite/quote]
Is it because they are the closest, or because they're more familiar with them?

I think it's both ?? If I fly from my closest , I don't really need to book an overnight hotel unless its long haul and an awkward flight time , but if I fly from LHR which is only 60 miles away I do book an overnight and parking deal which can be quite expensive when adding in food and drink costs , but even though its very doable in 60 mins I'm not going to risk the M25 for missing my flight , I suppose it's an " insurance "and a nice way to be relaxed to start the holiday ,but with these added costs if flying from an airport which is not your closest , it can be an expensive option to have more choice and be less convenient too , I think it's ease and convenience rather than familiarity though , but knowing somewhere well obviously helps .
Heathrow is absulately the best one because you can get there by subway :D
heathrow.com
Our nearest is Cardiff, but as has already been said, the flights from there are expensive and destinations are very limited.
We use Bristol the most, and then Gatwick. When we stay in Gatwick we always stay over, even if the flight is not an early one. I like to be there and not worrying about traffic hold ups, and it's a nice relaxing start to the holiday anyway.
My nearest is also Cardiff (~6 miles) -but the destinations get ever fewer to choose from and ever more expensive; we have actually used B'Ham International a couple of time recently staying the night before, because the cost is so much less that we comfortably cover the cost of hotel,petrol money and parking and STILL have money left to spend at destination!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.