Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
this is a difficult one. both towns will have some shops/bars/restaurants open for the locals- and for the tourists but a large number of the "brit" type places will be closed.both resorts will have some bars open at night around the hotels.
the HTOP hotels will all have a gala dinner on new years eve when you get a fixed menu served at your table.they also allocate you a table for all meals.it is up to you whether you consider this a good idea. expect the hotels to be full.
certainly if i was going to lloret i would want the royal beach as if that is open there will be a reasonable amount of places open nearby.
i think it comes down to what you want to do during the day.
if you want to visit barcelona i would pick calella for its easier access to the train.
if you are happy just having a wander about and doing a bit of shopping then i would probably pick the royal beach in lloret.
thanks Jim for your quick response, we have visited both areas in the past , and like you my first choice would be the Royal Beach, we would go out and about during the days and visit the other resorts my favourite is Malgrat/Santa Susanna but Mr Ferris is not offering that as an option . Out of curiosity is Papa's Bar and Eureka Bar still going strong ?
yes, both still going.
eureka has now been going for 52 years
looks like we are going to book the Royal beach for the New Year :cheers , its been a few years since we last travelled to Spain by coach .
As I have said before its been a few years since we last travelled with Ferris , we are travelling with them again for the New Year and I am just wondering if they still use the ferry or is the Eurotunnel the preference these days . We have never been on the Eurotunnel so that would be a new experience for us , we used to love having a meal during the crossing on the ferry , quite looking forward to it now .
they are still using the ferry.
i always enjoy my breakfast on the ferry on the way home
Well we have just come back from a New Years Break at The Royal Beach hotel in Fanals and was really disappointed with the standards , loved the area as we have been to resort before. The only place open was Roxy's opposite, we travelled to other resorts and again nothing open Papa's bar, White Horse in Calella closed, Eureka bar Malgrat closed, The Buccaneer in Pineda closed, I don't think I would go at this time of year again.
From Facebook reports Alcratraz in Calella was open, and I suspect Beech Boys was that is supposed to be open all year. If you want a break at New Year then I suppose you're better of in a big city which isn't just a tourist town.

The White Horse closed last year and hasn't been open since.

I wonder what the owners of those closed bars do for an income in the winter? I can't see them making enough in the summer to cover no income for several months over the winter. Most seem to close at the end of October and then not re-open properly till April.
most of the bars that stay open all year like beach boys in calella and crown and anchor in malgrat and some of the bars in lloret have built up a good local trade as well as catering for the tourists.
they will also be staffed predominantly by family and friends and the seasonal workers will not be required in the winter as they operate less hours and there are less tourists
there is a balance to be struck because for the bar staff to get social during the winter, this is my understanding,they must have been on a 6 month contract and then get laid off. if they work more than 6 months then their social is drastically effected. this is why a lot of the bars/restaurants will open later than others and close earlier so they dont breech the 6 months.
i know that the eureka tried to stay open one year but it was not financially viable, but then i dont think the owners heart was really in it.
i was surprised the robin hood, below roxys, was shut as that used to do a great trade over christmas as well as throughout the year-it only used to close when the royal beach closed for the staff holidays.however, it seems to me that since the refurbishment the atmosphere has been lost
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.