Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi Kara ... while you wait for some personal recommendations here, if you send an e-mail to turismo@benidorm.org you should be able to promptly obtain a list of all disabled friendly hotels in Benidorm, with details of specific facilities at each property.

David :wave
if you send an e-mail to turismo@benidorm.org you should be able to promptly obtain a list of all disabled friendly hotels in Benidorm

I said that with confidence because I have always had an immediate and very efficient response to any enquiries made to Benidorm tourism authorities. But how wrong could I be ???

Since posting that message on 5 March, Kara has desperately been trying to obtain the required information from the address given. When she contacted me a few weeks ago to say that she had been unsuccessful, I too bombarded tourism authorities on a regular basis with similar requests, only to be completely ignored.

Perhaps a coincidence, but it was only after contacting the Mayor's Office on Friday afternoon to express disappointment at the lack of response to enquiries from disabled holidaymakers, that I finally received the long awaited list from Benidorm Tourist Office today, 25 April.

The list does not give details of specific facilities, such as roll-in showers, but it gives contact details for hotels which are adapted for disabled use so that members may enquire about their specific requirements.

The list is undated and I suspect that it is not bang up to date, as some of the newer Benidorm hotels which do have disabled facilities (such as Melia Benidorm) are missing. So please use it only as a guide, rather than a completely accurate and up to date list of all disabled friendly hotels:

HOTELES ADAPTADOS PARA MINUSVÁLIDOS

** ACAPULCO C/ Ricardo Bayona, 7 (96) 585 15 48

**** AGIR Av. Mediterraneo, 11 (96) 585 51 62 hotelagir@ctv.es

**** BENIDORM PLAZA Av. Emilio Ortuno, 18 (96) 585 15 49 reservas@benidormplaza.com

*** BRISTOL PARK Pz. Dr. Fleming, 2 (96) 585 14 48 info@onasol.es

** CABALLO DE ORO C/ Kennedy, 22 (96) 585 28 62 caballodeoro@ctv.es

*** CABANA C/ Peru, 33 (96) 585 25 50 hoteles-lamarina@ctv.es

*** CARLOS I C/ Arnedo, 7 (96) 585 71 51 carlos-I@ctv.es

**** Q CIMBEL Av. Europa, 1 (96) 585 21 00 cimbel@hotelcimbel.com

****Q CORONA DEL MAR Av. Jaime I, 3 (96) 585 03 12 central@hotelesrh.com

*** CRYSTAL PARK C/ Ruzafa, 14 (96) 585 18 11 hcb@hoteles-costablanca.com

*** FIESTA PARK C/ Arnedo, 5 (96) 585 17 66

**** GRAN HOTEL DELFIN Av. Montbenidorm, 13 (96) 585 34 00

*** PALM BEACH C/ Viena, 2 (96) 585 04 00 palmbeachinfo@ctv.es

*** HELIOS Av. Filipinas, 12 (96) 585 58 50

** JOYA Av. Andalucia, 2 (96) 585 15 25

**** MARINA, LA C/ Gerona, 21 (96) 585 37 66 hoteles@la-marina.net

*** MONACO Av. Antillas, 11 (96) 585 52 00

*** NEREO Av. Ametlla de Mar, 12 (96) 585 07 07 nereo@servigroup.es

*** OASIS PLAZA Pz. Espana, 6 (96) 680 77 05

*** PALMERAL C/ Santander, 12 (96) 585 01 76 hostalpalmeral@ctv.es

*** Q POSEIDON C/ Esperanto, 9 (96) 585 02 00 poseidon@hotelesposeidon.es

*** Q POSEIDON PALACE Av. Emilio Ortuno, 26 (96) 585 02 00 poseidon@hotelesposeidon.es

*** Q POSEIDON PLAYA Av. Armada Espanola S/N (96) 585 48 50 poseidon@hotelesposeidon.es

*** PRESIDENTE Av. Filipinas, 10 (96) 585 39 50

*** RIUDOR Av. Mediterraneo, 45 (96) 585 26 08 riudor@medplaya.com

*** Q ROSAMAR Av. Derramador, 6 (96) 585 05 02 reservas@hotelrosamar.com

** SOL Y SOMBRA C/ Florida, 7 (96) 585 18 44

*** TORRE DORADA C/ Aviles, 2 (96) 585 42 50 torredorada@servigroup.es

*** TROPICANA C/ Bonn, 6 (96) 585 11 75 hcb@hoteles-costablanca.com

***Q VENUS Av. Filipinas, 13 (96) 585 24 66 venus@servigroup.es

*** VILLA DEL MAR Av. Armada Espanola S/N (96) 585 45 50 hcb@hoteles-costablanca.com

**** FLAMINGO OASIS Av. Dr. Severo Ochoa S/N (96) 681 35 30

** FLORIDA C/ Santander, 14 (96) 585 16 63 hflorida@inicio.es

**** VICTORIA Via Emilio Ortuno, 20 (96) 585 39 00 hotel@victoria-benidorm.com

I hope that it may be of some help.

Hi Read this topic with interest as just returned from a holiday in Lanzerote with my parents and my dad is wheelchair bound Before this happened we all used to enjoy going to Benidorm and have decidedthat our next holiday should be there if we can find suitable accomodation preferably NOT up a hill. . So glad I found this via Google. I just thought I would ask KARA if she did find a suitable place and if so would she recommend it

Thanks
Hi Mike

Thanks to David who sent me an e mail about your quest.

I am went to Benidorm and had a fantastic holiday at the Melia hotel, it has 4 disabled rooms with roll in showers, rooms are quite narrow but an ordinary wheelchair can manage, bathroom is huge.

If there is a hill i didn't notice it, i would say a very slight incline down to the beach, but honestly you don't notice it.

I hope this helps you but advice to book early as the disabled rooms can get booked up quickly.

Hope you have a great time, have a drink for me

\Kara
Kara thanks very much. We are planning now for next year so I will contact the Melia direct and get more information. it saves me contacting all the others listed by David as personal recommedation is always best.

I did look at info on the Melia elsewhere and a few people had posted having property stolen from their rooms by cleaning staff - did you have any problems regarding this ?

Regards

Mike
Hi Mike .... I am not aware of any particular problem at this hotel, although I do recall that someone did actually report the alleged theft of a chocolate bar from their room.

I think that to leave valuables lying unsecured in the bedroom of any hotel is asking for trouble, as there is always the risk that someone may give in to temptation and help themselves. There is no excuse for leaving valuables unsecured at the Melia as not only are there personal safes in all bedrooms, they are also completely free to use.

The hotel is very popular with wheelchair users, but as Kara says, there are only 4 bedrooms specifically adapted for use by disabled guests.

I don't think that the slight incline should present any problems, but it is worth bearing in mind that taxis are both plentiful and cheap. A taxi covering the entire length of the Levante from the Old Town to the Melia would probably be around €4.

We have lots of reviews on the Melia which you can access via the link in the navigation bar at the top of the page. (Please try later if the reviews site is still affected by this evening's server problem).

Hi Mike

I definately have never had anything stolen from our room or even heard other guests complaining of this, there is a safe in the room which is free of charge, you just put your own 4 digit number in and only you can access it. The reception will send someone up uf you have a problem setting it, Also it is the 1st time i have had a free save as you are usaually charged for this sevice, i also found all the house keeper very pleasent.
I am sure you will not have a problem. With regards to a stolen chocolate bar if it was left in the room it was probably melting and the maid disposed of it, either that or some people complain of the slightest things, lets face it if a missing chocolate bar is the only thing that is wrong with your holiday then i would say you have had it good.

Have a great time
Kara
Hi,

I am not disabled, nor were none in my party, but we went to Benidorm in March to a lovely hotel, the Terralta Apts, and there were many disabled people there, some wheelchair bound, and this hotel was ideal for them.

They have many ground floor apartments, with ramps, its one of Benidorm's only low rise hotels, and it has a 'wet room' as a bathroom, so its possible to just wheel in a wheelchair, and there are rails to hold onto also.

It is on a hill, but the reception will call a taxi for you free of charge, and it isnt that expensive. The taxi driver will help put the wheelchair in the boot.

Read the reviews on here, its worth going.....

Hope this helps!!
Help!
My 85 year old father has always wanted to visit Benidorm. He can walk a short distance but we would need to take his wheelchair. However, he cannot get into a bath so would need a room with a walk in shower, and one that is wheelchair friendly. I have tried various travel agents but without much success. A friend suggested the Melia Hotel to which I sent an email but have had no response. I am really struggling to find a suitable hotel. Does anyone know of any in Benidorm which meets with the above criteria - particulary the walk in shower. :roll:
Hi kath & kevin ... I have merged your enquiry with this previous similar topic. It will give you a starting point with some contact details for individual hotels. You will see that the list above is dated 2005, but several new hotels have been built in Benidorm since then. It would be worth e-mailing Benidorm Tourism at turismo@benidorm.org to request an updated list. (Copy it to benidorm@touristinfo.net)

The Hotel MeliaBenidorm should certainly fit the bill, it's disappointing that they have not replied as yet. Did you write directly to the hotel, rather than to the SolMelia Hotels group ? The address is melia.benidorm@solmelia.com

The Mediterraneo has some adapted rooms with wheel-in showers and an indoor pool with a hoist. http://www.accessibletravel.co.uk go to The Melia and the Mediterraneo. I used them for a holiday to Cyprus and they are very good. Their prices include airport pick up but not flights and they will guarantee you an adapted room.
The Victoria certainly has a least one fully wheelchair accessible room with wider doors and roll in shower in bathroom. I've seen it and it quite a decent room...they may have others of course, but i only viewed that one.

Best Regards - Taggy
sooo pleased to find this page. I went into a travel company to see about accessibe hotels and although the girl was helpful-the information I got was pathetic.

Not her fault but felt like saying-it's 2011 FFS-and it still feels like when I had my first visit in 1974 and we looked at a picture of a hotel in the brochure and squinted at it to see if it had steps or was flat at the front.

Some were still coming up with-it is possible to remove the bathroom door. Well-it's just not good enough Spain!!! Not now and shame on them for not moving with the times. These were hotels I have stayed in over the years-but not visited for the last 15 years.

Now I know why we started going to Florida......

Do you know-they couldn't even guarantee me a disabled room. I am sorry but am just so angry.

I will check out the Melia and the Terralta (this was one that was mentioned.)
ALISONSVILLA wrote:
sooo pleased to find this page. I went into a travel company to see about accessibe hotels and although the girl was helpful-the information I got was pathetic.

Not her fault but felt like saying-it's 2011 FFS-and it still feels like when I had my first visit in 1974 and we looked at a picture of a hotel in the brochure and squinted at it to see if it had steps or was flat at the front.

Some were still coming up with-it is possible to remove the bathroom door. Well-it's just not good enough Spain!!! Not now and shame on them for not moving with the times. These were hotels I have stayed in over the years-but not visited for the last 15 years.

Now I know why we started going to Florida......

Do you know-they couldn't even guarantee me a disabled room. I am sorry but am just so angry.

I will check out the Melia and the Terralta (this was one that was mentioned.)

The Terralta whilst being nice apartments are a long way out of Benidorm & you'll either need a Taxi or to use the Bus which stops outside the apartments. I wouldn't recommend them if you want to be close to the hub of whats going on in Benidorm!

Best Regards - Taggy
.This site will tell you about hotels for disabled in a lot of resorts worldwide. http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.