Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Tuppence,

Wow, what a lot of questions!

1. Best time to go. Despite what the brochures say, the season with respect of all hotel and resort facilities being open runs from the middle of June to the second or third week in September. Outside these dates some or maybe most of the stalls, bars, restaurants and other facilities are likely to be closed.

2. There is endless debate about where to go see HERE

3. Likewise the hotels. As a rule of thumb, don't book a hotel for next year that wasn't complete and up and running this year. Avoid ones with artist's impressions in brochures - they might be just that, figments of an artist's imagination not yet built or finished. Also the higher star rating the better, and less than 3* plus are best avoided.

4. I would never recommend All Inclusive, and food is the restaurants is better because it's a la carte instead of buffet style. In the hotels there's usually a very good choice, but it might be the same good choice most nights.

5. Entertainment. Not as you describe.

6. Excursions - plenty of them, see your Rep if you decide to go.

I suggest you get some brochures from a travel agent. Balkan Holidays are the market leader with the greatest choice.

Peter
* When is the best time to go?? We are thinking about May because we don't like it too hot and it is cheaper? Is this a good idea? May is certainly cheaper for package holidays, I don't like too much heat either, but I personally wouldn't consider much earlier than mid-June for the best prospects of reasonably good weather and all resort activities being fully functioning.

*Where do we stay? I have looked through countless websites and brochures and they all seem to contradict each other over which resorts and hotels are the best. People's opinions will vary according to their tastes. If forced to go to a resort, I would choose smaller, quieter resorts and would avoid Sunny Beach & Golden Sands like the plague, whereas others love those resorts.

* What is the food like? I hear that it is very repetitive in the hotels? Is this true? Is it worth going all inclusive as it is cheap anyway isn't it?? Neither of us drink a lot so would it be worth it?? Personally, I wouldn't book more than Bed & Breakfast, as there are so many good & cheap restaurants.

I'll leave comments on entertainment, excursions, etc., to others, who are more familiar with the resorts.

Baldur
cheers guys,

so what sort of entertainment is there then? day and night.

We are thinking of going a little later now and maybe going b & b. just need to choose a hotel and area.

anyone with any suggestions please feel free to share them with me.

cheers
ian
My boyfriend and I went to Golden Sands and loved it. However, if you are going to a main resort such as GS or Sunny Beach then avoid the main streets (eg. "Party Street") like the plague, and read reviews of your hotel before you book. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Tintyava which was the noisiest place I'd EVER stayed- ia comparison made including the camping at Carling's Reading Festival last year!!

Hope you have a good time whatever you choose :) It's fantastic.
cheers.

i have just seen that hotel in the brochure. it now has a large X going thru it.

what sort of "entertainment" os there for adults during the day and night other than just nightclubs?
Entertainment - on a night anything from groups and singers to floor shows of folk dancing in bars and restaurants - I've seen then in passing. Then there's the nightclubs. Last year there was quite a good Elvis impersonator in Golden Sands if that helps!

During the day you are out going places and seeing things, meeting people browsing the stalls, visiting Varna if in the Golden Sands area, or Bourgas near Sunny Beach.

Peter
we are leaning towards golden sands ahead of sunny beach. do you, in your opinion think this is wise??

also what does anyone recommend visiting during the day??

whenever i go on holiday i like to visit foreign football stadia. Are there any within reasonable reach of any resort does anybody know?

Thanks all,
Ian
Hi Ian,

You are thinking in the right direction in our opinion.

Golden Sands is much more civilized than Sunny Beach which is overdeveloped and crowded.

It has the great advantage of being near the beautiful city of Varna, about which you will find a lot on the Internet.

Football - no problem, it has a football stadium and the Bulgarians are great footie fans. Don't ask me about it, I only know (or think) that football is the game with the round as opposed to egg shaped ball!

Peter
Hi Ian,

The nearest stadium to a resort is probably Gradski Stadion in Sunny Beach/Nesebar - Spartak Stadium, Varna would probably be the closest to Golden Sands.

Baldur
once again, thanks guys.
shame i will be going out of season but never mind.
unless the Bulgarian season is different to ours, i will check that out.

thanks again
ian
Hi Ian,

Bulgarian football info HERE and HERE
It'a all foreign to me, but at least my confusion is only in relation to round or egg shaped balls. Comrade Baldur thinks they might be square!

Peter
I will be visiting Varna on the 2nd of October. Does that mean that everything will be closed and nothing to see and shop from ???????
Varna is a fully functioning city where real Bulgarians live, work and shop. It's only the resorts which will be in various stages of closing down for the winter.

Peter
madar
welcome to the Bulgaria forum. I hope you enjoy Varna!
Ok thank God for that and thanks I intend to enjoy it as I might a property in Dobrich too for more frequent visits :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.