General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we like to sit on the black box this always survives :rofl
As near to the front as possible with me in the window seat! I hate having the wings and engines obstructing my view out of the window! I also like to be off the plane and waiting by that luggage carousel as soon as I can.
Coming back from Tenerife at Easter we had awful seats right over the wing and no proper window next to my seat, I had to twist around to try and look at the very limited view from a window behind my shoulder - I was so annoyed because it was a beautiful clear afternoon and I would have been able to see so much in a decent seat. My favourite bit of coming home is spotting our street as we approach Manchester airport, we need to be sitting on the right-hand side of the plane for that and approaching from East Manchester/Stockport.
I dont mind where I sit as long as I havent got a seat kicker behind me and a seat recliner in front of me. :rofl
its normally OH by window looking onto wing, youngest daughter in the middle other daughter on the end and me on the other side and i normally have some person sat by me who is rather annoying.

One year in greece i had a lady sat by me she did not stop burping in my ear. her son was sat by the window and all he said was "Muh muh muh is the plane going to drop us at our house muh muh muh " then she spilt her beer all down my leg and tried wiping it up with her dirty hands. she stunk terrible all the cabin crew had there sprays out.. and my thaughts were.. it could only be me.. Haha!!
CourtneeLouise x
:rofl Jay Trip - that brought back a memory of a friend who was sat behind a seat recliner. When she realised what he was about to do she put her hands on the seat to stop him from coming back. He kept pushing back and she kept it rigid so he couldn't. He did one big push back and she let go so he flew back giving himself a bit of a shock and then she grabbed both sides of the seat, shoved it hard as she could forwards and said "NO you are NOT sitting in my lap for the next four and half hours!"

I nearly wet myself laughing! He didn't dare try it again as the look on her face probably scared him half to death. He's probably STILL traumatised by the experience!

Personally I think anyone who does the seat recline thing on a short haul flight is downright ignorant!

CourtneeLouise - that sounds absolutely awful and would be my idea of hell. Mind, the nice couple sat next to us when we travelled with our then 7 month old twins could very well have been having similar murderous thoughts. I couldn't sit in same row as DH as plane only has 1 infant oxygen mask per row, I needed the loo so nice lady offered to hold baby (DH was in row behind) and he puked on her! I was mortified, she was lovely but I bet she called me black and blue as she would have smelt of baby sick all day! :oops:
Don't mind whether it's front, back or middle but I don't like sitting in the middle seat of 3. I like a window seat but if we have to share our row with a stranger I'd rather be on the aisle seat - that way I know I won't have to disturb him/her everytime I need to get up.
hubby hates sitting at the back of the plane, he is a nervous flyer so, hopefully we will get seats at the front or middle,
Aisle seat for me so I can get up and don't have to disturb anyone.

I still find it dismaying how much revenue the airlines are making from prebooking of seats. Back in the day when you couldn't (unless you had good reason such as disability or for extra legroom seats) hardly anyone used to end up separated from the rest of their family so why it's a problem these days I do not know.
I agree with you S&C. It's just a money spinner :(

I like to sit as close to the front as possible and either an aisle seat of a window seat.

On occassions I have booked a meal even though we haven't been that fussed as they normally sit you together and at the front to make it easier for themselves. I would rather do that than just paying to book the seats, and not getting anything for it (apart from the seats), I feel less cheated that way.
Pre-booking seats is definitely a money spinner - it's cost us £40 to do it which annoys me BUT at least now I know we don't have to break our necks getting to either airport to be one of the first in the queue to ensure we get 'our seats' as I call them.

I love window seats but with the kids I don't get a look in anymore!
on the wing as you get plenty fresh air :tongue :tongue and plenty space, its a must to hold on tight but, real tight :rofl :rofl
we always book seats together and a meal we like to have the meal as it breaks up the flight and we actually enjoy them on thompsons (well never had them from anywhere eles so cant compare) and we book seats together because id be really worried we wouldnt be seated together, i used to be a nervous flyer the first couple of times we went after not going for a long time but touch wood im ok now. and we ask for a window seat, i prefer the 2-4-2 layout rarther than the 3-3 they are so much smaller we were on a night flight back from cyprus last year on one of these and it was really uncormfortable and we were really tierd so it was worse.
there was a man sat on the end next to my boyfriend and everytime any of us wanted to go to the toilet we had to ask to squeeze past. i dont really know where on the plane we prefere just dont think id like to be right at the back as i think it can be noisey there from the engines etc.
Gav and Rob always used to fall out over Who would have the window seat. Me and Ezzy never really cared. When both the kids came on holiday with us, we used to put the kids in the window and middle seats with me next to htem to look after them and Rob on an aisle seat next to my aisle seat.
When Ezzy stopped holidaying with us..I used to tell Rob and Gav they could take it in turns over the window seat...then one day on a flight back from Egypt in something slightly bigger than an orange crate..Rob decided he was hemmed in with the window seat and was on the point of having a panic attack ( he is such a big bloke anyway he always struggles on a plane) and decided he would never in the window seat again he would always sit on the aisle. Now Gav is taller too, they both decided that coz I am such a shortie I have to sit in the window seat, Gav in the middle and Rob on the end. :rofl

I don't actually care where I sit..but we always seem to end up over the wings and the view is dreadful. I love looking out the window if it is clear and we are over land.
On the pilot's knee if I could - just so that I could see where we are going!!
I like a window seat if possible unfortunately i haven't had one in the past couple of years.. and i will not line their pockets on short haul just for extra leg room or a decent view...

so where to sit

in front of wings .... this is the quietest area for engine/wind noise

over the wings ..... structurally this is the strongest part of the airframe

behind the wings ...... usually better view but a lot more noise

Right at the back must be the safest... well i have never seen an aircraft REVERSE in to a mountain :rofl
:rofl Wizard & Prawn

I don't do meals on flights as they are, as a rule AWFUL! We were given them on our last XL flight and when it arrived it looked like something the dog had barfed! We usually take the small tubs of Pringles with us and munch on them!
Hi
As I will not pay to pre book seats we always arrive at the airport early for checkin.My partner likes to sit by the window,I dont know why he bothers because he sleeps for most of the journey anyway :que He also insists we have a meal on board, i am not keen on them. I would rather take my own sandwiches. I have managed to convince him this time sandwiches would be best. :clap
M
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.