Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
you can find what your asking for on may of the Greek island even the largest has smaller villages on the coast
the two main factors are where you can fly from and your budget for flights and hotel, some of the lesser known islands are expensive because as you have seen ferries will be involved [also think the extra time taken to get to and from your airport as this could easily add 24 hrs to your travelling time]

although Naxos has its own airport i am unable to find direct flights from the uk for july/august the closest would be night flights Easyjet to santorini and then the ferry. flight prices for july varies between 300 and 600 pounds per person return
As Wiz says, it's normally more expensive to get to any of the lesser known/least popular islands and tbh if you're talking about booking for this September you've missed the cheap prices for the budget airlines.

There are many lovely Greek islands- in fact I can't think of a bad one but once you pick your island you will need to pick your resort carefully. If you're after lovely beaches I would discount Santorini. It's a beautiful island but the beaches are black sand which gets far too hot to walk on (I know from experience lol).

I agree with Wiz, I think you need to decide where you can fly from and whether you mind if you get day or night flights. When You've decided on that, I'm sure we'll be able to help you out a little more.

Enjoy your research- I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Greece :)
Try here - http://www.agiapelagia-crete.com/
it may seem a bit strange, given your preferences, to be suggesting the largest Greek island, but this village really ticks all your boxes, plus it should still be relatively easy to get flights to Heraklion. There are some lovely tavernas, some beachside, and loads of small apartment blocks. Have a look & see what you think
I've been to different places in Greece 16 times and the best place is Naxos. Yes it is expensive but the beaches are fantastic, the food is good and there are hardly any Brits. No Russians either, they really spoil your holiday they think they are storming Stalingrad when they see a queue.

A cheaper place with good sandy beaches is Skiathos, Koukanaries beach is particularly good and Banana beach is a real eyeopener!!!
Dear JulieandPhil,

We as a family have been to:
Corfu, Kefalonia, Zante, Skiathos, Stoupa, Parga, Lesbos, Samos, Santorini

Out of all of them Skiathos is by far our favourite. We have been there 6 times but all the other above only once. Skiathos has between 60-70 beaches on the Island and we have never found another place like it. It has other advantages as well:
Locals are fantastic
Direct flight
No need for car hire as bus service is great fun
Traditional taverna's
NO 18-30 bridgade
Good accomadation with good choice of 1,2 or 3 bed apartments

I am sure that we will go to Naxos in the next couple of years. What is the best way to get there? And as a beach lover where to stay.
I stayed at the Nissaki beach Hotel in Naxos town. It is a fabulous hotel in a smashing spot right next to the large horse-shoe sandy beach, with plenty of tavernas where you get free sun beds if you buy a drink. Naxos town is a short walk from the hotel, there are numerous shops, bars and restaurants.
There are also plenty of other hotels nearby, I went with Sunvil who organised everything. I flew from Birmingham on an early flight to Santorini and went back to Manchester on a late flight both with Thomson. I did this because then I did not have to spend a night in Santorini.
If you book with Sunvil, I phoned them, try to get a fast ferry to and from Naxos, it is much better than on the large ferry ship.
If you like Skiathos you will love Naxos and as I said before not too many Brits and no Ruskies. It is a classy island!
Like Doonhammer, I think that you might find what you are looking for on Crete too but a bit further to the west. Villages like Kalives and Almerida could tick all your boxes and you would then also possibly have the choice of flights to Chania as well.

SM
Agistri is a lovely island though a bit off the beaten track, you have fly into Athens and catch a ferry to get there, though we thought it was worth the hardship, there are some good hotels for all budgets and are beachfront. Have a look at Rosys little village and the oasis skala. Both lovely hotels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.