Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
I don't think it really matters, I did a round the world a few years ago and went the eastern way, Singapore, Sydney, Auckland, Hawaii and Los Angeles. You lose time as you are going east then gain a day when crossing the pacific. The other way of course you lose a day then make it up as you travel west. So it works out right in the end. We chose to go the eastern route because we wanted to have a few days relaxing at the end of the holiday and Hawaii served that purpose. If we had made Singapore our last stop off we wouldn't have found it so relaxing as it's more of a hectic sightseeing place. Though having said that I always find it easier to adjust to jet lag better when I fly west, I am usually dragging around for a few days when I fly to the far east.
Hi Judith

Thank you so much for your reply. How many days did you travel on this RTW?

We had nearly the same stopovers planned as you did :D (but instead of Hawaii we wanted to go to Tahiti). Then we checked Air New Zealand and we would have to change our route a bit which we wouldn't mind. I am still quite confused about the time changes in the Pacific :shock:

Fortunately I still have few months to plan this trip.

We normally struggle more flying West - but in February we were lucky to fly Maxjet to LV and we didn't suffer jetlag at all. So my husband said that if we fly business he doesn't mind which way we go :lol: Well... it's not going to happen so I have to plan carefully. I was more worried about losing days flying certain direction due to our 'short time away'.
We travelled for about 5 weeks.
I guess you will have to do a fair bit of planning with flight times so that you can get the maximum time at each stopover. We did the journey in business class which was a real bonus as I managed to get a fair amount of sleep on the overnight flights. Hope you enjoy your trip. I'm quite jealous. New Zealand was the highlight for us and we spent just over three weeks there. Though Tahiti sounds lovely.
Im planning a very similar trip for our honeymoon in 12 months! We are planning to leave on June 30th 2008!

Our route was going to be LDN - Singapore - Sydney - Tahiti - San Fran - LDN.

but after looking into it it may work out quite a bit cheaper to do:

LDN - Hong Kong - Auckland - Tahiti - Los Angeles - LDN (or the other way round!?!?!) all with Air New Zealand.

To do the first itinary we would need to but a world discovery ticket with BA/Qantas which is quite a bit more than AirNZ round the world ticket.

Any further comments or suggestions are welcomed!

Also what do people here think to:

Fly East or West?

Singapore or Hong Kong (bearing in the Fiance enjoys here shops!)

LA or San Fran?

Thanks people!
I would also post your choices and what you are looking for on the Far East and America forums.
Sounds a fantastic honeymoon :D
Hi Bennett

You second itinery sounds exactly the same as we 'decided' to do but the other way round. We are still in 'discussion mode' to which island to stop in the Pacific. I was thinking about Cook Islands but now we are not sure and Tahiti may win. Fortunately we still have plenty of time :)

How long will you be going for?
I think we will be going for about 3 weeks, we are planning to do 3/4 nights in each of the city locations and 7 nights in Moorea we were looking about The Pearl Resort in Moorea for our French Polynesia stop.

We both prefer the sound of Moorea to other location in the FP mainly due to the fact you have the option of total honeymoon isolation and the option to get out and about into the village and try other Restaurants.

Zabka, whens the planned honeymoon??
Just to throw another destination into the pot, we were offered the option of Tokyo instead of Singapore or Hong Kong.

Was just wanderinering if anyone had been or have any thoughts on the destination?
I would jump at the chance to go to Tokyo! It's not your usual tourist destination like the others and there is a Disneyland there!

We didn't like Singapore, but loved Hong Kong.

luci :wave
I would take the Tokyo option, I would think a lot more interesting and quite an experience, though probably expensive. I have been to Singapore a few times and although safe and clean it is now very sterile, all the old atmosphere seems to be disappearing. I have visited Hong Kong, the last time 15years ago and enjoyed the stopover but would now choose somewhere else, though both are worth a visit.
Thanks Judith & Luci for your input i really appreciate it, I travelled to a few cities in the far east (KL & Bangkok most recently) but ive never been to Singapore or Hong Kong, As a part of the honeymoon i did promise the fiance a good shopping leg of the trip! Thats why i first thought of Singapore. A lot of people have said that it has a sterile feel.

Baring in mind that we are only sceduling a 3 (maybe 4) night stop in the far east where would you chose?? for good shopping and restaurants we both loved KL and thats where we got engaged.
You couldn't have picked a better time- it has to be Singapore
Check here. Having been during the sale before I can highly recommend it.
Fiona, thats the exact reason why the OH wants to go! "Singapore Sales!"

http://www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg/

I was also reading that on some nights of the week some of the malls are open until midnight! - I think i might have to fly west so we go to singapore last! or do i go the other way round so i get to recover on a beach? :roll:
Now - that is something we debate on the Far East and Thailand forums all the time :D ( city or beach last?) Stick a question in the Far East forum and you'll see what I mean :lol:
Hi Bennett

The RTW would be our anniversary. We got married and honemooned in the Seychelles :) It was great and even before the wedding we decided that 5 years together should be celebrated with something special. I was thinking about the Galapagos first but my hubby doesn't love animals as much as me and I am not sure how he would enjoy it. So the other option was to do RTW.
We are thinking of doing in March/April 2008.
Morning Fiona, Ill post a messgae on the far east forum about Singapore or Hong Kong, i think i secretly prefer HK but i know my fiance has got her heart set on Singapore!

Zabka, I bet the Seychelles was amazing, my and my fiance got together 6 and half years ago we i was only 17 and my fiance was only 16 and our first holiday together was the Maldives when Chloe my OH was 17 and i was 18, so we set the bar pretty high and we didnt know where to go next! since then we've travelled to Thailand, Toronto, Malaysia, Egypt + 2 days in Israel and Grenada.

Over the weekend ive been trying to sort out which ticket would suite us best for SIN - SYD - PPT - LA. I wanted to fly using the "Great Escapade" ticket which uses Air NZ, Singapore & Virgin - many agents have told me that i can "definitly" do my itinary on this ticket (including Air NZ themselves and Virgin) however i cant! - Air NZ have stopped flying to Papeete they now codeshare with Air Tahiti Nui but the code share option is not available on the Great Escapade ticket.

The only ticket i can use is the World Discovery Plus with is a BA & Qantas ticket. I would have prefered to use the Great Escapade because i personally think the airlines are better! but im sure we'll be ok with BA and Qantas!

You should check out !http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/uk_division_web_live/hs.xsl/round_the_world.htm for their excellant interactive route planner
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.