Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
In answer to the title of the thread, we're not returning to Turkey this year but it doesn't mean we're not going abroad :think

We were in Olu last year and we've decided not to return as food and drink was more expensive than we anticipated and although we love the heat, the August temperatures last year were just a tad too much for us. We've opted for Zante this summer.
It has become more expensive in Turkey the last few years. We ARE coming over this year,twice in fact but will be AI on both occasions.It won't stop us venturing out at all and we usually do a full day boat trip as well. It's just nice to know all your food, drink and entertainment is paid for already,especially with a couple of 20 year olds in tow.
I'm not going to Turkey this year; Maldives and other places for me for the rest of this year. As much as I like Turkey, I'm having a break from it as it's been a little 'samey' the last few visits. My last few long hauls have probably worked out cheaper than Turkey as well, plus the diving in Turkey isn't particularly great, no sharks! I think All Inclusives are taking a greater share than they used to due to budgetting for holidays and the increasing costs. You know where you stand with AI and they seem to be in favour for many at the moment.

Darren
Up to now we are not returning this year, the prices are the main factor.However we went All inc.last year and the amount of money we saved was great.This year i have noticed that the price of flights has gone up a lot ( we fly from Newcastle )

Alan
We're off to Turkey in June after a break of 2years but for the first time in Turkey doing AI.
Did our first AI in Spain last year, really enjoyed it and found it great for budgeting. Have noticed prices gone up quite a bit but will probably eat out a couple of times during the holiday
We are going to Turkey this year and in fact have already had an eleven day holiday there a few weeks ago. However I think we'll not go quite as many times as we usually go and we will not be eating out as much. Neither will I be buying as much as usual - I used to stock up on presents. In the last few years prices have risen at speed and the two tier pricing system that exists in so many resorts really annoys me.
We are going twice this season, same as usual, and bookings for our apartment are a bit better than last year. I would expect that generally with all the doom and gloom about the economy people are less confident about booking holidays abroad when they don't know whats round the corner. However one thing that doesn't help Turkey are things like an article in one of the Sunday papers last week comparing prices of eating out etc in holiday destinations and made Turkey way above other popular destinations like Spain. Where they get their info from I really don't know.
We aren't going to Turkey for our main holiday but only because we fancy a change. We are going for a week in October though, SC as usual, we don't do AI.
I think Alfie that new tourists to an area don't always find the best value places for eating out. We too have a place in Turkey and through trial and error and having had plenty of time to suss out the best places manage to find the best value. The other thing to consider is that many people who perhaps only have 2 weeks or so a year prefer to eat where it is beautiful and probably water side and these places do charge over the odds. We wandered off to Kalkan and Kas a few weeks ago and my goodness didn't we notice a difference. Beautiful restaurants, good food and service but such very high prices and I bet most of those would come out as much more than other destinations. One irritating thing I did notice was on the night that we went out with friends who live there, there was a reduction on the bill and I must admit that there are some restaurants where we have our place who do this for us.
For the first time in 12 years we haven't got a holiday booked in Turkey. My husband if a self employed builder and has had a terrible year. That and family problems mean we have NO MONEY!!!!

May still stick it on the credit card at the last minute though!
I went to Turkey last year for a week, in fact almost a year to the day. We stayed at the hotel Keskin in Dalyan which was beautiful and we had a great time. My sister and brother in law go to this place every single year,staying at the same hotel, and asked us again if we're going with them. As it isn't all inclusive and having 2 teenagers as well, it turned out to be quite an expensive holiday and about the same price for 2 weeks in Cuba for all inclusive. So this year we have decide not to go back to Turkey and go to Cuba instead in October to a hotel we've been to before, and to be honest I much prefer it in Cuba and the beaches are nicer even though I did enjoy it in Turkey.
we have just got back a week ago from side. prices are becoming higher every time we visit . although we love to visit turkey . the prices if they keep on rising will make us opt for the shorter med flight times .. sad to say but true turkey will only be catering to the russian holidaymakers if prices continue to rise..

7tl for a bottle efes its cheaper in the uk .
I believe the alcohol prices have risen due to a 30% rise in the tax on alcohol. We visited one cafe where the beer was 8 lira. Needless to say we won't be drinking there again. Another place was charging 8 lira for a soft drink, no excuse for that. I have been told that rents for restaurants have risen a lot and they are struggling to meet the costs. Then of course there is the high price of meat. It is a shame as I know it puts people off. We have our own place there and for the past 6 years have visited for about 10 weeks a year. This year I'll probably go for about 6. By the time I have paid for the flight, car hire and high petrol prices then have the very high costs of food and drink, we may as well go AI in Egypt or somewhere as it works out about the same. I was chatting to a hotel owner recently, I've known him for years. He says he has seen a huge change in visitors in the area I visit during the last 2 years. There are far more covered women and strict muslim families who don't drink. They tend to eat at home too and he feels that more and more businesses catering to foreign tourists will fail.
We had a week in Marmaris over Easter we noticed the higher prices . Although we were allinclusive 5 star we loved the Hotel but not the food we did save a lot of money but if we go back next year it will be B&B or S/C as we thought the food was ( how can i put it ? ) well recycled if you had it for evening meal it was there again for lunch next day most times disguised with something else . We only had problem with the food . We did go out and this is where we noticed the higher prices . Off to Cyprus in August wander what prices will be there as things have gone up all over
Been to Turkey for main holiday last 6 years. always stayed AI but venture out.

Prices have risen but main reason for not going this year was that the flight times are not very good from the North West and the flight prices have increased - competition decreased on the Turkey routes.

Are trying AI in Mallorca this year for a change and comparison
I also won't be returning to Turkey this year as we have found that we can do an all inc to Dom Rep or as this year same as last year Cuba for same price as a nice hotel in Turkey.. We always did apartments in Turkey... they were usually busy.. only small pools etc and if you didn't keep an eye on your bar bill it could easily go up and up... Will be 4th time in Dom Rep Oct... 2nd time Cuba in July.. for same amount of money you not only have a fab big hotel room... with big big beds... but fab food.. big big pools... swimup bars etc and not to mention the Caribbean beaches... there's just no comparison for similar amount of money... but one day I'll do a quicky back to Turkey for old times sake..
Just got back from Paphos in Cyprus... Euroland... prices high imo. Bar street for May pretty dead.. Not the Paphos as I remember from a few years back.. Don't know if the other side of the island is the same..
The government there have actually made a deal with Monarch.. no taxes or something like that so they can try and boost tourism with more flights going in.. Will be interesting to see if they can do it.
Jess ...
We're off to Dominican too, as it worked out a little more but to go long haul and in more luxury, it doesn't compare to Turkey. I wonder if its just a blip that long-haul destinations are cheaper sometimes and whether it'll switch back round in years to come!
I must be in the minority then - give me Turkey any day over the "luxury" AI resorts mentioned - even if they were cheaper it wouldn't make a difference to me.
Agree with you Blondiescot. We went on a luxury AI Nile Cruise a couple of months ago, had a great time and the sights were amazing, couldn't complain about anything, but it only proved to confirm our view that we much prefer to do our own thing - get out and about and explore on our own. I think we would go stir-crazy confined to the same place even if it's top-notch luxury for 2 weeks! It obviously takes all sorts - but I don't think you are in the minority!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.