France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi De Hi wrote:
We are doing Italy next year but will drive across a bit of France there and back so at least 2 nights in France. Luckily Alsacciene has provided us with some local knowledge to help us plan as we have not gone through that part of the country before.

Which bit of France and when ??

We are finalising our route for our grand tour and have decided on the Millau Bridge as a stop over then down into Spain then back to our friends place in Charente then maybe Carnac or Further North

We have found a couple of sites where we can go with our caravan near to Calais only 10-20 minutes from either the ferry or tunnel

Alsacciene Need a little advice re the route so we avoid Paris with the Caravan hitched up Thinking of taking a Western route to join the Autoroute to Millau would value your opinion Just fed up of driving around Lyon (well Stephanie is)
Our route takes us from Dunkirk through Belgium, Luxembourg Nothern France, switzerland and then Italy.

The Millau bridge is really spectacular unfortunatly the day we did it there was the mother of all thunderstorms so we could not see the view! Bonus is that the Motorway south of Clermont Ferrand is a free one apart from the bridge toll.
Hi De Hi wrote:
Bonus is that the Motorway south of Clermont Ferrand is a free one apart from the bridge toll.

:D :D

That'll suit us last time we did Clermont Ferrand the motorway wasn't finished although we were in a Fiat Uno then so it was a bit nippy around all those curves on and off the bits of Roadworks
madcaravanner wrote:
Hi De Hi wrote:
Bonus is that the Motorway south of Clermont Ferrand is a free one apart from the bridge toll.

:D :D

That'll suit us last time we did Clermont Ferrand the motorway wasn't finished although we were in a Fiat Uno then so it was a bit nippy around all those curves on and off the bits of Roadworks

The motorway does stop short of connecting with the A9 in the South. You have to tootle along the N9 for a bit and join the other motorway at Beziers.
Hi De Hi wrote:
The motorway does stop short of connecting with the A9 in the South. You have to tootle along the N9 for a bit and join the other motorway at Beziers.

Can cope with the N9 it's mostly dual carriageway or 3 lanes so it's easy especially as it's not busy around there
Alsacciene Need a little advice re the route so we avoid Paris with the Caravan hitched up Thinking of taking a Western route to join the Autoroute to Millau would value your opinion Just fed up of driving around Lyon (well Stephanie is)

Hi Gray!! Sincere apologies, have only seen this really late on in the day .... I don't tend to read this thread because I already live here!

However, if it isn't too late, I'll do some thinking and get back to you soon! Oh and BONNE ANNEE - which I'm allowed to say until the end of January so it's still valid with less than an hour to go!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSS Have you already been and gone? Sorry, completely confused - and my fault to boot!!!
Alsacienne wrote:

Hi Gray!! Sincere apologies, have only seen this really late on in the day .... I don't tend to read this thread because I already live here!

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSS Have you already been and gone? Sorry, completely confused - and my fault to boot!!!

No we are not over until July

I have worked out a route that follows

A13
A154
N154/N12 to Dreux
N154 (Ring road around Chartrés)
Pick up the A10 at junction 12
A10
stopping at the Municipal at Vallon overnight
A71
A75 to Millau

Would welcome any knowledge you may have
I am foot passenging it next month for my birthday :tup

(I wonder if that is a word?)
Tarry wrote:
I am foot passenging it next month for my birthday :tup
(I wonder if that is a word?)

:D

Stopped doing that ages ago too tiring now a days plus I like to get away from the towns and a little bit further South
but enjoy the bars in Calais
I had a lovely time and I didn't stay in Calais as I took the train to Boulogne as I feel that it is nicer (personally) than Calais. I had a lovely time and actually didn't drink a thing as due to work, underagers and drunken idiots I was a bit fed up with the booze thing rofl

I hope the mods don't mind me posting an update on here and I apologise if this thread was not meant for this.
We too prefer Bolougne as compared to Calais much more accepting but then we find the further South you go with the exception of Paris the people are all more friendly than Calais folk
True :tup I was a bit disappointed that the Zeeman had closed down as I liked the shoe and bag shops there :(
We are heading to Poitiers, travelling from Moray, North East Of Scotland, driving down to the Tunnel and then down to Poitiers, heading off around the 24th July 09
we are going to La Côte de Nacre, st Aubin-Sur-Mer normandy. we are going the 8th of aug, from dover.for 10 nights, we booked a 6 berth van with canvas. hope the site is good as my step mum is forever moaning :tongue
We are off to La Dune des Sables, in Les Sables D'olonne.
03 Aug for 10 days.
First time in France holidaying and we are all looking forward to it :sun2

Ferry from Poole
Sable de olonne is a great place and handy for so much more.
HI ALL WERE OFF NEXT WEEK TO LE PALMYRE FOR 2 WEEKS AND THE TO CHATEAU DES ORMES ( BEST SITE I'VE BEEN TO) FOR A WEEK BEFORE RETURNING TO SUNNY NORTHERN IRELAND.
I :tongue
HI,
my son going to the South of France with his gf and her family on Saturday. I'll have to find out where exactly, all I know is that they drive down through the tunnel every year. They didn't go right down south last summer but apparently are going further down this year. They take 2 cars and don't do an overnight stop. Driving is shared and they have 1 or 2 refresher breaks. Accomodation is a rented private willa with pool. My son went with them for the first time last year and really enjoyed :)
WE are off to Frogglie land in ten days

planning to travel down via Lyon to Millau then Canet en Roussillon then off to Blanes after that of up to Montendre to our friends place

all this is 2500 miles towing our caravan through the nice and warm sunshine

Can't wait
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.