Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We went to Thailand in February and found the prices when there sky high compared to good old cheap Goa!
Drinks (alcohol) and transport were expensive and we thought the local people were real penny pinchers in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya.
Thailand is very expensivefor the U.K. tourist at the moment.The pound suffered far more against the baht than it has against the rupee.Add to that the Thai mentality of putting prices up when business is quiet then Thailand is no longer a cheap destination.

As far as the actual holiday costs to get to Goa the tour operators have cut capacity and are trying to keep prices high.

It all depends how good your nerves are because there are still late deals to be had.

Papa
Well i think we are going to apply for our Visas tomorrow and hang on in until the end...prices still really high though....but we will just have to sit it out, we do love Goa and we loved being there for New Year, maybe have to go a bit later though :cry
We went to Thailand in February and found the prices when there sky high compared to good old cheap Goa!
Drinks (alcohol) and transport were expensive and we thought the local people were real penny pinchers in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya.

Slightly OT...

Over the weekend I spoke to my GFs friend who has been going to Koh Samui twice a year for last 7 years. From all accounts KS is on par with Goa price wise... I can imagine Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya being more expensive than Goa though.

I know more people who have been to Thailand than Goa and they certainly can't afford 5 star and luxurious living. Were you doing DIY?

I will report back in Feb' with my findings.
We were in Pattaya and Bangkok for a month in March and with the exception of alcohol found it no more expensive than Goa, nicer and cheaper clothes in the markets, pavements make it so much easier to walk around and so are going for 2 months this coming February.
I agree,we were in Thailand in March.Alcohol about 30% dearer than Goa but food prices around the same.Spotless beaches,clear blue sea and hotels in 3/4 star bracket about 2/3's cheaper than Goa.But, we still prefer the food in India to Thailand.

John
There are some good deals out there. Just booked a week at the Nazri in January with Thomas Cook for £360. I think thats a good deal!

Although seeing the other posts, wondering if i should have gone to Thailand now!! Where is best in Thailand to visit for a beach experience? Everywhere i look the flights and accomodation seem so expensive.
Hi,

FYI

Here's what I booked DIY

I Booked Flights London - Bangkok ..... Thai Airlines
2 nights 3 Star Bangkok
Internal flights to Koh Samui
16 nights in Koh Samui
Got To find own accom' in KS although have a friend who has found amazing rooms at £20 p/p with pool and airport pickup.

£777

So if I add KS Accom... £1077 for 18 nights holiday. Probably more expensive than 18 nights in Goa, but I can imagine standards are going to be higher. Can't imagine I'll miss much about Goa this season.
Sorry I forgot to add that there is a flight Edin - Gatwick also in that price.
Neil,
I Honestly hope you have a brilliant time, KS is I am told really beautiful . Just take loads of money if you want to drink and use tthe odd taxi.
I expected Phuket to be beautiful but it wasnt in Patong we paid £60 a night for somewhere half decent as the £20 a night was awful (poky dark rooms). The resort smelled of bad drains and the traffic was hectic. Bars expensive . like £1.70 for small awful local beer(more than 30% dearer than Goa)
For 3 of us man to bangkok with etihad DIY
2 nights bangkok 3 star
4 nights Pattaya 2 star
10 nights Phuket ended up paying for 4 star
with spends must have been £5000 so never again
WP,

Thanks.....

That's a lot of money you spent.

I think you need to get off the beaten track. Phuket, Patong not my scene and seems to be really touristy I've heard.

Beer prices don't phase me.... unless up here in Edinburgh .... £3.25 - £4.50 a pint!

Thanks

Neil
must have been £5000 so never again

:offtop My 'never again' is St Lucia!
As I regularly holiday in Thailand and Goa, its amusing to read peoples takes on prices. The key thing to remember is that although they do have things in common, such as heat and beaches, there are big differences. It is possible in Thai beach resorts to eat very well indeed in the evening for 400 baht, which is about £8. Drinks would be on top, but a small beer would come out at about 70 baht, about £1-20. This would be heineeken, and local beers are cheaper. Someone said that a small local beer would be about £1-70, complete nonsense unless it was purchased in one of those speciality bars where various young ladies will do various things. Accomodation costs, like all places, will vary according to standard. The key is to remember that the basic infrastructure in Thailand is about a million miles better than Goa, and that when a hotel advertises itself as 3/4 star it means it rather than in Goa where 3 star means just about borderline OK.
The average Thai doesnt speak much English whereas in Goa everybody does. The standard of shops in holiday resorts in Thailand is much much better than Goa. The exchange rate in Thailand at the moment is not good, but does vary a lot, seeming to be linked to the dollar rather than Sterling or Euro. Two years ago you would have got 20% more for the pound. Beach life is similar with both places offering beach sellers and behind the beach bars and eateries. You would never be pestered in Thailand to use a taxi etc. One amazing advantage of Thailand resorts like Pattaya is that if you want to stay for a month or more, then it is very easy to rent an apartment. Eating is so cheap that. like Goa, you can eat out every night. English breakfasts are easy to find.
There are numerous airlines offering flights to Bangkok, and you get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival for free.
Lester,
I agree with a lot of what you say regarding Thailand. However when we went in February average bars in Pattaya , and Bangkok, Phuket small local singha and heineken was 80 bhat a bottle , The girlie bars were that sometimes or double..We were getting 49 Bhat to the pound hence £1.70 a bottle. Also the beer was quite horrible so drank cocktails for 100 - 150 bhat or pints of guiness
200-250 bhat. Just expensive!
Personally, have'nt found it much more expensive than previous years.
£400 with Kingfisher + digs when i get there will be on par.
As for Thailand, some great deals to be had and my times there have usually come out around a couple of hundred quid more overall and all in. The price, but quality of hotels ups the cost.
OK, beer may be 20p more, but no comparison between Singa/Chang and Tiger, compared to Kings/Fisher Ugh!!, sorry to all you K/F lovers.
Food wise, never found it to be more expensive than Goa.
Bangkok can be a totally different proposition if you don't do your homework and find your feet quickly.
You can pay £60 for set menu and £10 per drink in the Vertigo Bar, but at street level you can do the same for £2-£3.
Transport costs certainly on par with Goa as long as you get the meter turned on.
eg:- Taxi from Candolim to Baga lets say 100rps, same distance in Thailand, quite possibly less.
In BK, the skytrain and river taxi's so cheap.
Think if you are working to a budget you just have to shop around.
Certainly would'nt feel daunted arrivng in Goa with no digs sorted beforehand.
You get a better deal knocking on doors, plus you get to see the place before you've paid.
All in all still good value for money in Goa.
Yet another Spaldy post been removed,deleted,who knows! No notification again.
Replied to your PM thankyou Glynis.
I won't add a thread it will probably be moved to a "why the prices were so high in 1974" post.
r pints of guiness
200-250 bhat. Just expensive!

What on earth do you expect!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.