General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
A good friend once said to me, "Sometimes you need to learn when to tell people to [Insert Expletive Here] off". Don't feel bad that you always ready to help out etc and now you are taking some well deserved time off.
Derwent,Dont feel guilty.
I have been there, done that and got the T shirt!
I worked nights for 30 years as a staff nurse and worked every Christmas eve and sometimes Christmas day night.
Some nurses never worked any of the bank holidays but would willingly do the statuary days or nights which usually followed a bank holiday.They did this mainly because of the extra pay and the ones who actually worked the bank holidays never had a chance to do these shifts.
You go and enjoy your holidays ,you have worked hard for them and ignore the comments made by your colleagues. :tup
I agree, you shouldn't feel guilty, you have worked hard for the holiday's - me thinks the green eyed monster needs putting back in their cages.

A member of my family was doing something very similar to me, saying how they could never afford holidays they could barely make ends meet, I worked hard all my life and never scrounged of the tax payer - I went visiting her one day, you know what she had a bigger NEWER tv than me, top of the range DVD player (then) and the liste went on, I handed over the food parcel and didn't listen to tales of whoa

Go on holiday with a clear conscious and enjoy yourself xx
Michelle I know how hard you've worked over the years, now you can have your well deserved rest. When you put your list up you maybe should have said 'As I didn't have any annual leave last year and willingly covered your sickness and holidays please return the favour by covering for my well deserved break' :tup
Don't feel guilty, I wouldn't. Annual leave can be taken whenever you choose to take it, not when others are available or willing to cover. Don't worry about it. In our team, we cover each others leave and just get on with it. You are the one that will cover for them when they are on leave so it's only fair they cover for you when you choose to take leave.

Darren
If they carry on whinging - put up a list of all the shifts that you covered alongside of the name of the person yu covered for. That should shut them up!

Cheeky buggers :que
Derwentrocker wrote:
I know i am to soft sometimes but i feel so guilty.

I covered the shifts initially because i was saving my annual leave up for future holidays at the end of this year and the beginning of the year.

So..... my last shift is christmas day night, then i do not go back to work until the 16th January 2013. We are going to Great Yarmouth with family for a week over new year, hence my first holiday of the year.

I go back after the 16th January 2013 for 8 shifts then off until the end of February as its my 25th wedding anniversary, so going to Mexico for 2 weeks.

Why the hell do i feel guilty i am off for so long..i hate feeling like this :(

Sorry peeps had to tell someone, else i will explode ;)

Look , you shouldn't feel guilty because your manager has agreed it , and perhaps your manager should sort out the cover that is required too because he/she has given you exceptional leave because you are celebrating an event , but I can see why some of your fellow workers might moan because you are off for 3 weeks at Christmas and into the new year, then back for just over a week and then off for around 5 weeks , and you obviously understand that this is a long time because you feel guilty and you hate feeling like this , well if its a one off it shouldn't be a problem and that is how your manager has viewed it , but I think it's a bit difficult for you to expect all of your co workers to be happy or not moan about it , I'm sure some of them will be ok and understand that you've had no other time off and that you've decided to take all your leave in one go , but not everyone is going to see your point of view .
The important thing is that you have agreed with your manager the time off , let the manager do the explaining and sort out the cover .
Hi thanks for all your replies.......

I am only off 3 nights the end of december - 28th/29/30th the rest are my usual days off. Then i am off January

2nd,3rd and 7th,31st annual leave. Then my annual leave starts again for mexico hence 4th feb -13,14,18,19,22, 23,24,27 and 28....... so basically 170 hours which is what i get per year on working 100 hours a month.

It looks a lot of annual leave because i have a bulk of 8 days off, but over the year have not been off as covered shifts.

The manager doesn't sort out the leave, its the seniors.

I agree with a lot of you especially Miss Pink, i do think it could be the green eyed monster, i do like my holidays, i dont go out much , so save hard just as everyone else does.

Certainly reading this post has sorted my head out now, as for the cover of shifts i did, lol i did put that up, no one has said anything for a few days, thanks for that :)
I'm glad you have things sorted - enjoy yourself girl you work hard and save even harder :cheers
Go and enjoy youself, Michelle, you deserve it, you've worked bloody hard!!
When does guilt ever stop? Slightly different reason for the guilt but here goes.

Friends of ours have had a truly horrendous few years through no fault of theirs. Even when they've booked a few days away, they've had to cancel because of illness. Life goes on, however, and we have continued to take our holidays, etc, etc. They have now moved to near us and suddenly I feel guilty when I book a holiday. I've just had 4 days away and now we have booked a holiday in January and so far I haven't told them because I feel guilty.

Am I being silly?
Babs135 wrote:
When does guilt ever stop? Slightly different reason for the guilt but here goes.

Friends of ours have had a truly horrendous few years through no fault of theirs. Even when they've booked a few days away, they've had to cancel because of illness. Life goes on, however, and we have continued to take our holidays, etc, etc. They have now moved to near us and suddenly I feel guilty when I book a holiday. I've just had 4 days away and now we have booked a holiday in January and so far I haven't told them because I feel guilty.

Am I being silly?

Obviously did tell them we'd booked and they were very gracious about it apart from the expected comment of 'I wish we could have a holiday'. A couple of weeks ago I booked a 2-nights break in Scotland using some holiday vouchers given to us for a present; when I eventually told them I stressed we were using vouchers otherwise we wouldn't be going away but later that same day totally unexpectedly we found and booked cheap flights for a holiday later in the year! (Admittedly this had always been a possibility, it was just the speed and timing of the actions).

We haven't told them yet because I feel guilty that I can go away and they can't. How do I get over these feelings.
Babs you feel guilty because you care. If you didn't care there'd be no guilt. Your friends would probably be mortified if they knew that they were causing you anguish. If you think about it we all say "I wish I was going" when friends go on holiday - I know I do :oops: Same as friends say it to me when I'm going away, but of course I don't feel guilty because I know it's a natural reaction, but I do understand as, my mam would love to go on holiday as she used to in the past, unfortunately my dad has suffered two brain haemorrhages and is 81 so it's not really an option for them to go abroad. I wish dad wasn't so vulnerable so that they could enjoy a nice break but they have to face facts that it may not be a wise decision.

In a roundabout way Babs it's nice you care so much for your friends as you do, as, as I wrote, if you didn't care you wouldn't feel guilty.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.