Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
daughter was in the red sea area 2 weeks ago, she could only get internet on her 3g phone [cost a bomb]
Most of the restaurants, cafes and bars all give you free access, if you want to use your phone go to any one of the many shops selling the local Vodafone SIM card and if your phone is unlocked this works out quite cheaply, there is a an actual Vodafone shop up beside the Carrefour supermarket (good supermarket by the way) and the staff are very helpful in that phone shop plus I have found them slightly cheaper for the SIM than most of the local shops.

Somebody at our last hotel in Sharm did rent a modem and I think it was quite cheap and it worked well for them and they were very happy with their deal.

Personally I use a HUAWEI Mobile WiFi E586 which is a small portable modem that just slips in to my pocket and I then buy a cheap local SIM for whatever country I am in.
Thanks for replies

I'm in sharm at the minute and I have hired a wireless modem. It fits into your pocket and 5 devices can use it. It is £20 for 1 week with 3 gb of data which isn't bad.

I may invest in one myself and just buy a data sim while I'm here.

If you just want a data sim in your phone then they will give you one loaded with 3gb data for around £11-15.

If you have a few phones and iPads etc then I would buy a modem back home and buy a data sim when you get here.

Wireless in the hotel is 30 minutes for £5!!!!
I've got an iPad with a 3G connection which has never been activated. I've always used it indoors with my wifi. I've been led to believe that whatever sim I use first will be the only one that will be accepted in the future. I was hoping to use an Egyptian sim but obviously want to use it in the UK too. Any advice will be very welcome!
I use the free wifi in the hotel, or the restaurants/ bars i visit. Always works well and never had a problem
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.