General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
AI with a baby.
15 Posts
There are a few AI places where the rooms are actually apartments with kitchen facilities so you could look for one of those.

luci :wave
When Alex was a baby we took him to Ibiza,we put a large tupperware box in our case,filled it with clothes and used it for cold water sterilising with tablets.Not sure if that is still considered a safe way.Babies often have a luggage allowance now and so you could perhaps take a steam steriliser with you.Alex took his bottles at room temperature so that made life easy,just measured boiled water into the bottles and took a container of powdered milk out with us so no need to refrigerate or heat the bottles.It was much easier taking him away as a young baby as we were able to sunbathe whilst he slept and always knew where he was as he was unable to go anywhere on his own.
Room temperature milk I intend giving baby too. I suppose we could carry the sterelizer with us. Where do you get boiled water from though? I suppose I would have to ensure the room had a kettle in it.
I took a travel kettle with me,we always take one,even when we go AI. It takes a while to fill the bottles ,I always use bottled water,but Paul did that whilst I bathed or dressed Alex in the morning.We had a lovely time,we were half board that time ,it would have been even easier if we'd have been AI.Probably easier than going self catering though.
Brilliant thank you. You've been most helpful. I've just read up on cold water sterilizing, and it can be done with something like Milton tablets. Great :tup We can get cracking on looking for a holiday now :wave:
Always happy to help,marlou.We took Alex on holiday every year ,I can probably think of other tips too, if you need to know anything just ask.We even changed Alex's nappy whilst waiting to get onto the plane as he did a poo and I didn't want him to have to sit in it during take off. I would advise a shortish flight if possible though as there is not much room with a baby on your lap.We only went to Ibiza or Majorca until Alex was about 4.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point :) We won't be venturing too far on our first holiday, until we've found our feet.
I've taken all of mine when they were babies lou . We did stay A/I but chose the apartment style places that had a small kitchen . My eldest son was 6 months old when we first tried it and I used to chuck the bottles into a saucepan of boiling or just boiled water to sterilise . I did the same with making up bottles only using bottled water of course . With the other 2 I was never as worried as they were both just a bit older and crawling about .. once they are moving about and putting things in their mouths they are coming into contact with bacteria anyway so you start to realise very fast the point where sterilising becomes a waste of time .

I think you could manage perfectly well as long as you have a kettle and some type of container to lay them in . Anything else you need any decent hotel would give you access to im sure . If you need to a bottle warmer should be easy to pack too . Im not sure how good those travel ones are but the usual plug in ones were only small when mine were young .

It's a piece of cake at that age lou .. much easier than the crawling/toddling stage , personally I would go before you get to that stage :yikes
Marlou,check out Playtex Nurser on google,I used this system when I had my first three children,couldn't find them when I had Alex,no pc then,but they are available again now.They could be just what you need to take on holiday.I found that my babies didn't suffer from wind as much as others ,they were also easy to use,although a little expensive.I used them all the time,couldn't afford holidays then.
Thanks guys :tup
lynwestie wrote:
It's a piece of cake at that age lou .. much easier than the crawling/toddling stage , personally I would go before you get to that stage
Exactly what we thought. I think I would find it too hot to run around after a toddler abroad. Maybe when he/she finds it's feet we will be camping in the UK :rofl
Don't worry about things too much Lou and not every toddler will keep you running around after him/her. My two were 4 and 1 when we took them on their first holiday abroad. Incidentally, it was hubby's first hol abroad too. The boys were great- remember it's hot for them too so even if your child's a busy bee at home they won't have so much energy in the sun.

I used common sense with high protection creams and coverning them up when necessary. They loved in the pool and in the playground, having a ride on the noddy train etc and they also had a nap in the afternoon. I suppose we were lucky as our sons were of a quiet nature and never once dreamed of wondering off out of our sight. It was also easy food wise as the youngest was eating normal foods and had been off milk since he was 8 and a half months. If he didn't like what was on offer at the hotel, I'd buy him some rice or yogurts and he was happy.
We took are baby in Oct to Tenerife. He was 10 months then and we took a large Tupperware box and milton solution as suggested. We also took a travel kettle.

Other good items were the shade a babe sun cover for the buggyhttp://www.shade-a-babe.co.uk, this meant that we could walk him round to get him to sleep without sun worries. Also we bought a buggy bag and the shade and parasol went in there to , the bag saves the buggy getting damaged at the other end.

We flew with Thompson and got 10 kg baggage for the baby which was a real bonus.
When we took our grandson to Egypt, I bought a travelling sterilisation pack from Mothercare.
It was basically a big bag which we filled with water and a tablet and hung on the bathroom door with the items inside.

Worked well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.