Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Not an easy choice to make and could be an expensive one if you make the wrong decision. Reading what your mother gets up to on other holiday destinations, then the choice of hotel for you all, would become 'boring' for 3 weeks if she has to stay around the hotel with little to do.
Sure, taxis a plenty to get you about, and I'm sure you have time to research/pick up tips on places that would be easy on her walking, to break the boredem, but as you know Goa and the coastal belt, roadside walking is not easy the best of times for fit able people, always looking out for trip hazards/high and low curbs and also the manic traffic when there is no footpath to stay safe on.
Could she cope with the long haul flights ?

Spike.
Thanks Spike for that - we're in a bit of a quandary - I suppose if we had the budget for a very up-market hotel I don't think we would have too much of a problem as food, entertainment, pool etc all on hand - but we have a limited budget - time for some head scratching !
We saw lots of people who were 'elderley' and were using sticks etc and they seemed to manage OK.

As far as LUI beach is concerened I am not sure where it is but the Silver Sands in Candolim is as close to the beach as it is possible to get.
It is in very close proximity to lots of restaurants etc, literally 2-3 minutes walk.
It's possible to eat in different restaurants most nights for 3 weeks without venturing more than 100 yds on fairly flat well maintained roads, with usual tourist tat shops etc.within the same areas.
Of course the pavements are still haphazard.
There is also a taxi rank adjacent.
from memory there are few steps in the hotel to worry about unless you have an upstairs room.
I did see at least two people using mobility scooters, so wether they were available for hire there or not I couldn't say, I would worry about the safety of those on the main road!
maybe your mother would miss out on some of the things there but surely 3 weeks of sunshine in the winter months would compensate!
I'm shoving towards 70 and cannot walk more than 100yards without sitting down, I'm pushed through the airports in a wheelchair and eat close to were I am staying or go by tuc tuc, I don't do stairs, but I still go to south Goa as often as I can, It might P off fellow holiday makers at some time or other(I hypo vented) twice on my last trip, tell your mom to go and enjoy her self we only come this way once.
If you mother is happy with a long haul flight I would go for it, the Dreamliner makes long haul a lot more comfortable and there are some holiday companies and airlines now using them for Goa flights, you could also look at booking a ground floor 2 bed apartment if you think that would make life easier or go for a low rise complex like Santana which is highly rated, close to beach and a few good eating places and also has a good restaurant of its own
Thanks for the replies everyone - think we need to have a sit down with her and go through the options.
I suppose we just wonder how much of the sights she wouldn't be able to see easily - She could only see Old Goa from a taxi, Anjuma Market would be impossible - walking round Panjim would be hard.
Thanks again for the helpful comments - we will ponder on little more
Your mother would love it but you would be better staying in Candolim area
Go for it. Im pushing the 70 as well and have spine probs but last year we did two changer overs (Istanbul and Mumbai) I managed OK with some grumbling but the thoughts of all the sunshine awaiting me kept me going ha ha. We have used the same taxi for 8 years now and as I have got less spritely (the last 18 mth) he has always found us a nice beach with no long walk. you will see from my post on Travel Insurance that's been a problem getting cheap one
Go for it ,she'll be fine. We are returning after missing Goa last year. I,m 77 unfortunately now got advanced Prostrate Cancer but am under hormone treatment so ok for the next year or two. My wife's had two knee replacements and has a heart pacemaker. We stay next to the Kingstork Hotell and my wife manages to walk up to the main drag of an evening and down to the shacks every day Last year we flew to Australia three times for various family and friends celebrations, sure the flights tire you out but it's quite feasible. For what it's worth we feel that just because you are getting on a bit it's no reason to sit at home, a lot of it depends on your own mindset
We can't wait to get back to Goa, my wife for her sunbed and me for my beloved bech walking, roll on next January !
Alan
Alan- sorry to hear your news.
Doesn't Goa just soothe you though? :)
We're booked - leaving week before Christmas for three weeks - minus Mother :-(

I took her for a walk the other day and she couldn't manage rough ground - sort of made our minds up really - she understands that she wouldn't be able to do much and that it was an awful long way to travel just to sit around the pool all day - thanks for the advise everyone - better start thinking about visa'a and suncream.
It is a shame, but the uneaven ground can be tricky for any of us to walk on.

Have a great time. Where are you staying?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.