Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
It wouldn't put me off as, like yourself, I quite enjoy getting wrapped up. :tup

I've been away a few times on city breaks when it's been very cold and it has never spoilt my holiday. It's a different atmosphere and everywhere is geared up for the weather. In Krakow, where we've been, you'll appreciate the hot sausage stalls a lot more in the cold, plus the bars and restaurants will have lovely roaring fires :tup

Go for it I'm sure you'll have a great time.
I quite enjoy getting out when it is frosty, -2 is almost summer here in Scotland :rofl

Seriously I wouldn't let it put me off, there are not as many tourists at that time of year so you can get to see the sights easier wiith less waiting and crowds.

Unlike here in the UK these countries just get on with life as normal in the winter.

Make sure you take some warm boots, warm jacket / coat, a hat and a scarf and off you go :tup
No it wouldn't put me off as other posters have said just make sure you have warm clothes and dress in layers.

I live in an area where most winters the temperature will hover around -8 to -10 for weeks on end occasionally sinking to -10 to -15 and life doesn't stop. People still go out of doors but just wrap up warmer.
Thanks everyone. I am definitely been persuaded :) I like the idea of it being cold actually. It would be a proper winter break which we haven't had since we visited Christmas markets in Germany a few years ago.
Plenty of opportunities for stopping in cafés drinking hot chocolate to keep warm, and same in the evening with some good food and drink.
Going to talk to DH and DD tonight. We had said that we might go to jersey for a long weekend, but I'm really fancying Poland..
Well, we are going to go but at Easter time next year. Doing a mini European tour over Eight days on the Eurostar while DD is away with school.
Taking in Brussells, Berlin, and finally Warsaw. Haven't done Eurostar for a few years, so really looking forward to it. :D
Sounds like a good trip Suncatcher, lots of history and places to visit :tup
Thank you' It will be a nice change from flying for once as well, and the Eurostar is really relaxing.

Throw in some nice fizz and nibbles from M&S for the journey and it's even better lol.
Hi Suncathcer, sounds brilliant! I love travelling by train and if you are doing the Brussels - Berlin leg on a DeutscheBahn ICE train then I would highly recommend using the restaurant car if you are on it during the lunch or dinner service. It is open to all passengers and not just those with 1st class tickets and it is worth treating hire self. A friend and I travelled to Berlin last summer via Eurostar to Brussels and changed onto the ICE train there. From memory something like 22€ each covered us for a hot cooked main course, dessert, a bottle of wine and coffee. Much better value than the average train buffet snack here! And all with waiter service at a table laid with a linen cloth, proper cutlery and real glasses etc.

My Mum had given me cash for us to treat ourselves to a meal out whilst there but instead we had dinner on the train out and lunch on the way back.

SM
After living overseas on a holiday island for the last 10 years we're always up for a city break and going somewhere cold (except UK) does sound appealing.

There's a salt mine which we've always fancied visiting in Poland but it's in the Krakow region so not sure how that would fit in with your plans? It's around 300km from Warsaw but can be reached easily enough by train.

It's definitely on my bucket list!

http://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/news/visiting/wieliczka-salt-mine-a-whole-bunch-of-attractions-for-everybody
The Salt Mines are amazing - definitely worth a visit if you go to Krakow
I relly enjoyed Warsaw. Plenty to see and do and the food was great and very well priced. By the way if you are looking for reasonble accomodation, the well placed Holiday Inn Warsaw is a great establishment, often reasonably priced and close to centre and opposite shopping centre. Warsaw impressed me = well worth a visit
Than you Nivsy. I haven booked any accomidation yet! but I will check out the Holiday Inn. Cannot even remember where we stayed before it was so long ago lol.
I recommend to visit Krakow it is much better to see.This city is more interesting than Warsaw. Krakow is still Old Town and the buildings going around the town are the orginal. Warsaw was rebuilt after World War II and now the city spoil the appearance of the city by building skyscrapers.
if you have found a bargain and dont mind it being cold then yes i would do it. While Krakow has obvious attractions, dependig on what you want and if a short break then Warsaw is great in my opinion, has museeums, interesting eating places and good value for money. Yes go...
Hi. We decided to go over Easter on the end, really looking forward to it.
Hi I was in Warsaw on Business 2years ago in March and I had shirt sleeve weather for 2 days and then snow I loved Warsaw and was lucky to have a Polish gentleman to take me around, I also wish to return with my wife maybe next year.
We went in February and had half decent weather. However we much prefered Krakow, as it was far easier to get to the places we wanted to visit.
Well, We had a fantastic mini european trip. We've just come back, and visited Warsaw and Berlin for three days

each, and two nights in Brussels. Has been great travelling by train, and a nice change from flying.

Hoping to do more European train travel next year. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.