General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Lets be brutally clear here - it will be very difficult and probably cost hard cash to change things. Don't be taken in by talk of low deposits if you book now - as the others are finding out when you read the small print they may not be low deposits but partial deposits and if you cancel you may have to pay the rest. Don't book until you are sure that all of you can and want to go.

The date you suggest is just off the peak season so won't sell out as quickly as some others and you seem flexible enough on where to stay so don't rush into things.
Thanks for that advice. ive nipped into a travel agents today and found a company that will let us go aslong as we have our parents signatures. so we are gonna grab the money book the time off work and shoot off. we are thinkin about greece. or crete especialy. we should have enough money in a few weeks to cover flights and then we shall save until we have good spending money.
Don't forget the other essentials.

First, has everyone got a passport - obvious question but if anyone needs one they aren't cheap and need sorting out well in advance.

Second, EHIC. Has everyone got one in their own name? If you don't know about EHICs read this thread http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=60921 . These are free and quick but you need a National Insurance number to apply, those who don't have proper jobs yet may not have one so will have to sort that out first.

Third, insurance. There are many sad tales of insurance on this board. You need it, even if you have an EHIC. Work out exactly what you hope to do on holiday and then read the various policy small print to see what stupid exclusions they have. If the wording is dubious assume the worst case. Find a policy that covers YOUR needs (not one that someone completely different thought was good), don't pick a policy simply because it's £5 cheaper than the rest. And as a rule of thumb, don't buy the insurance sold by the tour operator!

If you go for an appartment or similar check what happens if someone pulls out. As well as lost deposits there may be an "under occupancy charge" that everyone else has to pay.
steve8482 wrote:
EHIC. Has everyone got one in their own name?
My children have had their own EHICs since these cards were first introduced; my kids were 15 and 12 years old at the time.

steve8482 wrote:
you need a National Insurance number to apply, those who don't have proper jobs yet may not have one
All young people receive their National Insurance number shortly before their 16th birthday, enabling them to start work when they leave school. For people under 16 (without NI number) you can apply for the EHIC with their NHS number.

bluesyboy - good luck with your holiday plans! Make sure all your friends are definitely commited to saving up and paying for this holiday before you book it, otherwise you'll end up with a right old mess if anyone decides to pull out! Also be aware that the legal age for drinking is still 18 in most countries, so go carefully!
greece its 17. i checked. :) erm yeah think theres only 3 of us going. probably 2. so should be okay i think :) :sun2
keep loosing my post :cry

see http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=127501 it goes back to 2008 but is still relevant, please note the advise for minors

wizard
Re:
carriejayne wrote:
Hi my daughter is 17 and her friend is 16, they have just booked flights with excel and hotel with med hotels. flight and hotel booked separatly. They didnt have a problem booking and paying and are off to Tunisia 16th may.
Most tour operators say they need a letter of consent for flying though from a parent.

did it all go well? I'm 17 and hoping to go to tunisia early next year with one of my friends:S
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.