Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
It is worthwhile keeping your DTP up to date even at home and Hep A for travel anywhere but Typhoid is not necessary for the tourist resorts. I work with GPs too ;)
Hi, I booked a holiday a couple of days ago for myself and my 10yr old daughter flying out on Tue 10th Aug staying in a hotel on Lara Beach, Antalya. I had a phone call off my ex wife this afternoon saying that we needed vaccinations to go. Ive searched the net with mixed reviews, phoned my GP who basically said avoid everything my daughter would eat or want to do so Im in a right muddle. Any advice that could be offered would be very much appreciated !!! At present I don't want to go because of the risk and stand to lose the £2000 I just paid.

Merged with existing topic. Thanks Luci. Dazbo HT Mod
We have been going to Turkey on and off for over 10 years and have never had any injections/vaccinations, only advice i would give you is 1) drink bottled water rather than tap water
2) enjoy your holiday :cheers

Alan
First went to Turkey in 1993, when the kids were aged 3 & 5, and have been going ever since. Never had any vaccinations, and none of us have ever been ill (we always eat out). In fact we've never come across anyone who's had vaccinations to go to Turkey.
There is a previous topic on vaccinations which Darren will probably merge this with.

No vaccinations are compulsory although some are recommended see HERE and HERE

Check your travel insurance as some policies will not cover you if you do not have the recommended vaccinations.

Many people will say that they have travelled without having vaccinations with no problems. However there may be a risk, however small, and it is advisable to have the ones that are recommended.

I know an accountant that travelled to Europe to follow the World Cup, contracted Hepatitis, was hospitalised and was extremely ill. It's not worth the risk.

luci :wave
My doctor told me no vaccinations necessary for travel to Turkey, other than those that you should already have had in the UK. I, persomally, have never avoided drinking tapwater in the Med but I am aware that is not the recommended course of action!

I was given pharmacist advice with regard to Mosquitos, and it has always worked for me, but there are whole threads on here with peoples favoured suggestions for avoiding mosquito bites so I shan't repeat them.

Enjoy your holiday - I'm sure you will (Rhodes was my favourite Mediteranean destination until I discovered Turkey!!)

Dave
hi, going to turkey in sept 10 and went to gps with another matter last week so asked about vaccines. he said as we were going to marmaris he didnt think there was any need for any
As long as your usual Tetanus, Hep A + B, diphtheria, typhoid, etc are up to date, you don't need anything else. Nothing is compulsory but they are recommended not only for Turkey, but travel pretty much anywhere including the UK. However it's always best to check with your GP if you are in doubt or you may be coming up for boosters. Bear in mind if you don't have the required vaccinations and you then run in to medical problems relating to them, insurance companies may not honor policies.

Darren
Me and my son are going to Side end of August and we were advised to get them off my doctor my son only needs the Heb A but i need that one and a tetnus its safer to get them for insurance purposes and they are also free to get, hope this helps.
I took my son to the doctors today for his injections for China only to be told we all need them for Turkey too, Is this true? cos no one has mentioned it so far.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Well I live in Turkey for half the year and haven't had my Hep B - I have had tetanus but that wasn't specifically for Turkey, just a routine jab.

Jak xx
Been to Turkey 5 years in a row never need any injections. I did read a few years ago if you are going to the East of the country you may need.
hey, ive been going to turkey since 2005 and never bothered with vaccinations as i was in tourist resorts so less risk, however in 2008 when i was living there for the season, 7 months i knew we would spend time in hatay were my hubby is from therefore i did go and get them but merely as thats a non tourist part and bit run down so i didnt wanna risk but otherwise i never bother!x
Thanks for the replies guys. We are going to Torba so do you think its ok to chance it? I will get my other child covered but i really dont like needles so i might not bother. :wave:
alsbaby wrote:
We are going to Torba so do you think its ok to chance it?

Details here.

Darren
I have decided to go and have a chat with the nurse and lets see how we go from there :tup
my nurse advised the following last year
Hep A
Hep B
Typhoid
Tetanus
polio
they are not essential but recommended
Having lived in Turkey for 7 years we have only had the Tetanus and Typhoid treatments.Don't really beleive you need the rest.

Ian
my nurse said i did not need them but i would rather take precautions, i am supposed to have the flu jab but didnt this year as i believed i would be ok, i was made to have it last month by my nurse as my husband nearly died from swine flu last month and i was lucky i didnt catch it my self
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.