101 independent reviews of the Victoria Palace Hotel
Address: Sunny Beach S/N, NULL Burgas (Bourgas), Bulgaria, Bulgaria
Victoria Palace Hotel
Victoria Palace Hotel Location
Ranked #72 of 103 hotels in Sunny Beach

Victoria Palace Hotel Victoria Palace Hotel is rated 3.1 out of 5 from 101 Reviews

Victoria Palace Hotel Reviews

Debbie Abercrombie stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in September 2005
On arrival to the hotel the outside is very impressive and as you walk in it is even more impressive.

The staff were always cleaning.

The rooms were huge my only complaint is we booked are holiday over a year before we travelled and we were all on different floors we requested a low floor, sea views and a balcony and we never received any of them. We were on the 5th floor and the 7th facing another hotel and none of us had a balcony.

The location of the hotel is right on the beach front which is an excellent location.

This hotel is not suitable for people with young children with a double buggy there are no ramps just a lot of steps.

The staff were friendly when they wanted to be on when night we all went for a drink ...
in the hotel bar by the spa and the service was awful. The waiter said we did not pay for my husbands large whiskey which was silly as you don't pay for your drinks till you leave the bar at the end of the night, and he took the drink away from my husband, this caused quit a fuss as you can imagine.

There is no entertainment there, they could benefit by turning the casino which was never open in to a disco and games room with pool tables.

The hotel food was awful breakfast and the evening meals were warmish a lot of the plates and cups were chipped and cracked and trying to find a knife and folk was a nightmare. We only ate in the restaurant twice as we could never find a table you will have to learn to run very fast before you go as if you see an empty table which is not very often run to get it quick. When you are at the table you have to clean it yourself as it is dirty from the last people who ate there. The food is not 5 star service more like a 2 star

Tour Operator: Balkan

Nicola stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in September 2005
An absolutely excellent hotel, location on the sea front and just far enough from the centre of the resort to be quiet and pleasant, excellent staff especially reception and domestic, other staff needed a few smiles and a bit of respect, i.e. please and thank you, to respond happily.

Hotel rooms spacious and very clean, fresh towels and sheets every day. Food was the same, in my opinion, as any half board hotel in any resort in any country. There was always something that you could eat as the choice was very good.

No entertainment but not a problem for our party.

Would recommend to family and friends.

Tour Operator: Direct Holidays

MASSIE had a holiday at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in September 2005
We have just returned from Bulgaria, staying in the Victoria Palace, and I would say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, the staff were extremely unfriendly to the point of being rude.

The food was always cold and the same selection every day, you have to find a table, clear it and set it with cutlery before you can start your breakfast or dinner.

I have never been to a hotel where you have to set and clear your own table. The crockery is dreadful, chipped plates and cups, no saucers.

Our holiday was totally spoilt by this experience and I can categoricaly say that we will never ever be back in Bulgaria.

Tour Operator: FIRST CHOICE

Maggie and cliff stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in September 2005
Gob smacked on arrival, as we normally get put in a corner. We had a corner room, which was more than a suite, with panoramic views. Room was furnished in leopard print carpets and furnishings, and very clean. Maid service was excellent, clean towels every day, the only problem was lack of hot water in the mornings. l was very impressed being my first time in Bulgaria.

The food we thought was great, such a variety, hot or cold, breakfast or evening meals. The desserts were of plenty, even had a children's selection,

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

the location was ideal, at the end the shopping strip where there wasn`t any noise, and yes l would come back again. We enjoyed it.

Tour Operator: first choice

alyntony visited the Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in August 2005
First impressions was excellent but after staying there for 2 weeks you could see the cracks appearing.

Public places in the hotel were always being cleaned when you used an ash tray they were changing and if you opened a door they would be cleaning the glass.

As for our room first impressions were oh what a nice size but the beds were just made up with sheets not what I expected for a 5* we had a leaky toilet for 4 days until they got sick of us complaining (I'm not the complaining type) but when you have stand in you own mess to go to the toilet it's a bit much so we used their towels to stop it which meant we didn't get any clean towels until they fixed it. As for hoovers don't think our room was ...
ever hoovered in the 2 weeks well that's the bad stuff.

Hotel food was alright like I said I wasn't a fussy person so we did manage to find something to eat everyday but it is so cheap to eat out anyway. Kebabs, jacket potatoes, pancakes. You must try breakfast was just fine can't get a good cuppa coffee/tea anywhere but I think it's something to do with the milk they use.

Hotel staff were nice like anywhere if you're nice to them they are nice to you. When you get to know them they are quite funny so they do have good sense of humour.

Entertainment First Choice did try to get the kids to play swing ball and other games as for the adults they had water aerobics, couple of quizzes, volley ball on the beach and as we were going they were trying to organise bingo/quizzes upstairs on the mezzanine bar didn't find out what it was like as we were going home.

I wouldn't stay there again as there are too many places to see in this world.

Tour Operator: eclipse

Colin & Mary Bredin visited the Victoria Palace Hotel in August 2005
The Victoria Palace was fantastic. Beautiful looking hotel. Great location to the beach and town.

Staff were very helpful and courteous.

Some people winging about the food but I thought the food was great. Considering they are catering for over 1000 guests of all nationalities the standard and choices available were very good.

To get a sunbed you need to be down at 7.30am and sit there all day. (As with all holiday resorts)

Trust me if you go there you\'ll love it.

Tour Operator: Falcon -- First Choice

seahunt visited the Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in August 2005
First impressions on entering hotel were very impressive.

Cleaners polishing all daykeeping the reception aera spotless.

The food we found was good. You could have a choice of about 4 meats fish or there were salads. Breakfast was a similar choice.

There were people moaning about the food as usual but there were loads more eating it. The staff we found helpful. If you were polite to them they were courtious in return. Even the girls on reception were friendly.

The only gripe I have is the lack of hanging space in the very large room we only had one wardrobe and three cabinet drawers. I was amused watching security remove towels off sunbeds when they were left for ages unattended,by Brits mostly.

We found that the prices were a lot dearer for the safe and drinks than other hotels.

Tour Operator: first choice

Brian Seavers had a holiday at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in August 2005
I just can\'t believe the mixture of reviews for this hotel, I suppose that\'s life!

Anyway, I had read reviews prior to going to the Victoria Palace and decided to dismiss the negativity, I\'m now disappointed with myself as my family\'s experience in this filthy pit was horrendous.

Please remember that this hotel is promoted as 4 Star Plus.

The exterior and reception are very, very impressive.

My teenage children had a room next to my wife and myself, this was joined by a balcony not wide enough to place a chair forwards, I had to turn sideways to pass the supporting pillars. The rooms were small with very little storage or hanging space, we had to live out of suitcases.

The beds were made up with sheets too small to tuck in so each morning we awoke in a tangled mess on the ...
stained mattress (not our stains!). On several occasions the \'clean\' sheets also had stains on them. The \'fancy\' bed throws disappeared after the first day, we found them in a linen box, presumably this is to economise on cleaning. All four of the \'quilts\' were also stained.

My wife and I had a bath with shower over and the kids had just a shower. The showers were positioned so that the water sprayed horizontally, useless in the shower cubicle, and the loose fixings made the situation worse.

The shower, bath and both toilets leaked which explained the disgusting damp smell in the rooms (and many other locations in the hotel). As the week went on the damp patch in our bedroom reached over one third of the carpeted area. The corridor and \'wardrobe\' in the kids room flooded whenever the shower was used in the next room along. The bath and sinks built up a nice crust of scum which we refused to clean ourselves.

On one occasion we returned from a day out to find no clean towels, all but one of our towels had been removed. I phoned to have towels brought up and our \'maid\' appeared at the door, stomped into our room and demanded we \'exchange\' towels, pulling the only towel from my wife\'s head!

The food in the restaurant was bearable but too similar each day. I like meat, protein and salads and from that point of view I enjoyed most of the meals I had there. It\'s cheap enough to dine elsewhere or grab some of the fast options outside, Kebabs, Jacket Potatoes etc. (I can\'t believe there\'s three bloody McD\'s on Sunny Beach!).

The restaurant itself was a fiasco, a constant fight for cutlery and cracked mugs. It was not unusual to take 25 minutes just to get the required combination of food, cutlery and table - then at \'shut off\' time the staff appear and start filling their own plates!

The hotel has three irons to service 600 rooms, it took four days to get one.

On our last day I had the misfortune of using the lift when the power went off in the hotel, I was stuck in total darkness with a very frightened elderly couple for over ten minutes. There are no safety lights or communication system within the lifts.

I complained to my Airtours rep on the first day and on several subsequent occasions. I also conversed with the hotel reception and their customer representatives. Nothing was put right in our rooms and the service did not improve. We were offered alternative rooms after four days, these were a slightly better size, a worse location and smelt worse than our existing rooms, we declined them. (We were only booked in for seven days).

The bars in the hotel and by the pool were pretty unexciting and relatively expensive.

The pools and pool area are far too small for the size of hotel. Yes, the sloped bridges are daunting initially but surprisingly non-slippy, except when they are cleaned at peak time each evening, in darkness!

I do have some photographic and video evidence which will accompany my official complaint but, in hindsight, I wished I\'d collected more. This is the first time we\'ve experienced anything like this and I certainly didn\'t expect to have to endure it for the whole week which is why I didn\'t record more.

You can make your own minds up about the real purpose of this hotel but the fact that it was built so quickly, has a very \'bling\' exterior and the black Hummer, black Cadillac Escalade and two very impressive black Mercedes in the security guarded part of the car park, and the shaved headed, tight tee-shirted heavies who rode in them might just be a bit of a giveaway!

Tour Operator: Airtours

J Ashpole stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in August 2005
We stayed at the Victoria Palace for 2 weeks in August 2005, and were certainly impressed when our cronky old coach pulled up outside a palace, with smartly dressed porters and a MASSIVE chandelier. Check in was easy, and the porters took our bags up to the room. We were allocated a HUGE room with a balcony at the front of the hotel, but wanted a sea view, and so moved 4 days later after repeated requests to the rep!

Unfortunately, the holiday was probably the worst we have had in a long time! We went with an open mind, having read mixed reports, but found the resort to be souless and felt it could have been anywhere in Spain, Greece, Cyprus etc. The beach had rows of sunbeds and brollys which cost an extortionate 18 lev a day (&8), ...
so we bought a couple of lilos and a brolly and bagged a space on the free part of the beach! The weather was hot, but a strong wind meant that you kept cool! Beach also has several hawkers, including the petrified seahorse/shell lady, the bra lady, the melon & donut lady and Gilbert Grape, who managed to sell me a buch of grapes on the first day for 12 leva! (

Tour Operator: My Travel

Abby Worden had a holiday at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in August 2005
Hotel Victoria palace is a very clean and well presented hotel. The hotel is in a good location and is in quiet surroundings.

The hotel staff are great and are very helpful when needed. The entertainment is very poor, there is only one game for the children everyday and nothing for the adults.

The food is okay occasionaly, sometimes it can be quite poor and cold! while I was there someone got food poisoning !!

Tour Operator: First choice

Mok visited the Victoria Palace Hotel in August 2005
We arrived at the hotel late in the evening and it did look impressive from the outside with the large chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and the smartly dressed porters waiting to help with your luggage.

Check in/reception was pretty quick and we were soon shown to our rooms which were large, spacious and well decorated with an African theme. However one wardrobe for a party of 4 was a bit annoying.

The maid service was also good, and our room was cleaned daily with clean towels on request.

Unfortunately this is where the good stuff ends. We found the staff ignorant, arrogant and rude, in fact my parents were ordered off the grass and away from the car park by two burly bodyguards who used agressive English expletives toward two elderly people.(Bodyguards???)

The food was diabolical, basically the same food for breakfast and ...
dinner every day. After the 3rd day
we did not use the restaurant again because of the smell and amount of flies helping themselves to the food. The waiters were indifferent, and it was impossible to get cutlery...It was awful!!!

The pool was OK, but you have to get up and get down by the pool by 7am to get a sunbed, surfice to say
we didn\'t bother.

There was no entertainment and the hotel and the bars are both bland and expensive. We tried to eat outside the hotel and to be honest the food and service was much much worse....In fact we lived on MacDonalds for nearly 2 weeks, as we could not find a decent restaurant.

Tour Operator: First Choice

peter stones had a holiday at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in August 2005
This hotel is very impressive on arrival and is clean and modern. Accommodation is clean and a good standard.

However, the food is disgraceful and a non acceptable standard.

In my opinion there are too many people packed into this hotel in the peak times and I can certainly agree with the previous reviews, this hotel does\'nt have enough sunbeds for 300 people, never mind a 1,000. Luckily, it is cheap to eat out, however when you pay half board, the hotel should be able to provide basic edible food and adequate sunbeds.

If you go to this hotel, do\'nt expect to relax by the pool or enjoy the restaurant/food. The normal services you expect to have on a sun holiday do\'nt exist at this hotel.

2 star accommodations in my opinion would ...
provide a far superior service than this 4plus rated accommodation. hope in time maybe this hotel will improve.

Tour Operator: none

shaun morrison stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in August 2005
Hi My name is Shaun, I went to Bulgaria with my mam dad and brother last August. The hotel was the best ever that I stayed in,I loved the food every night my plate was always piled high. The kids section was great with pizza chips etc and I loved the desserts,and the milkshakes in the morning yummy! We always went into eat when it wasnt busy so we always got a table!

The location was great, straight across the road from the beach,when we went to the centre we walked pass all the stalls which was great, my mam said it was like the biggest car booth sale ever,we bought loads, prices were really cheap!

There was no entertainment in the hotel for kids, hopefully they will do something about that, I made loads of friends so ...
we went into the computer room and played games there when we werent out of the hotel!

Wont be able to go back to the hotel again as since we have come back home we have bought an apartment there but I will go up for a swim when we walk up that way and to say hi to the pool bar staff that we made friends with there that we got to know very well, they even let my dad pull a pint inside the bar!

Tour Operator: ltm travel

Shorter stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel in July 2005
Food was poor and a couple of nights the warm plates had broken so all veg was cold. Toaster in the morning was usless you had to put it through at least 3 times for it to go brown The bacon was just fat and the eggs completly over cooked.All meat was covered in sauces ect so no plain food for fussy eaters. A sign says no shorts or swim wear in the resturant but these were ignored.

The hotel look amazing as you pulled up and was very clean with cleaners working 24hrs but the floors where always wet where they had mopped so slippery.

The rooms where ok but the height of the baths caused problems getting in and out, i would say about another 6-9 inches compared with normall baths and the shower head holders were lose which ...
caused them to spray round like a snake.

The staff, some very nice others, you felt every thing was to much of an effort,

The bridges at the rear of the hotel was quite steep and again dangerous when wet. To get a sun bed you had to be up by 6.30 am to put your towel out even tho signs said they would be removed if left unattended.

Finally this Hotel is at the far end of the resort (others are being built) so to get into the centre was a long walk.

We knew there was no entertainment as advertised but trying to find some in the evening was hard.

Laylia stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in July 2005
We have just returned from a family holiday in Sunny Beach. The Victoria Palace is the best hotel I have visited. The food was good but everywhere gets repetitive after 14 days but there is an a la carte restaurant within the hotel (La Gondala) in which half board guests could dine at, free of charge, only paying for their drinks. We dined here on 3 occasions and it was delicious. The hotel was spotless. The location of the hotel was perfect, not too near noisy bars but not too far from the liveliness of the resort.
We had absolutely no complaints about any of the staff, they were all very helpful. There is a pianist playing in the hotel foyer every evening which is very relaxing as you are walking through the hotel on ...
your way to dinner. After dinner we often went for a walk along the resort and stopped at various bars, where most of them have entertainment. Our room was enormous. There is a fridge for you to keep drinks chilled which is very handy and free of charge! There is a safe which was 98 levs for 14 days. There is air conditioning in the rooms which is excellent. There is a TV which has a few english channels including a cartoon channel for the kids and BBC World News. If you put your towels on the sunbed and leave it unattended for more than one hour your towel will be removed by hotel staff, which is fair enough! Enchanging money is best done in the Crown exchange booths, which are everywhere. Other exchange booths advertise much better rates but this is not the case. We witnessed quite a few arguments between the other exchange booths and holidaymakers when they were not given the rate advertised. Fortunately we were warned in advance only to use the hotel or the Crown exchange or the bank. After your first visit to the Crown exchange they give you a ticket to take back with you and this gives you a better rate.

We visited the waterpark Action Aqua, which is a new park. My only complaint about this was that they charge on a height basis. We had to pay for four adults, even though my children are 11 and 9. I was not too happy about this but the staff were quite cheeky in return. If it was not for the fact that my children really wanted to go, I would have about turned. On a plus note there is free transport to the waterpark and inside there is plenty of sunbeds.

Nessubur is a must. You can go on the boat for 10 levs per person each way or on the bus for 50st (half a lev) per person, each way. It is a beautiful town with lots or history.

We highly recommend this hotel and resort and are busy pricing our holiday for next year at the Victoria Palace.

Tour Operator: Eclipse Direct

Leeanne & Allison had a holiday at Victoria Palace Hotel in July 2005
We were booked to stay in the Victoria Palace sister hotel Chikkia beach, but where told that they had double booked are rooms.

The hotel was very nice to look at and the bell boys where a nice touch getting your suit cases out the bus!! When we checked in there was no key and had to wait 2 hrs for it to go to are room which some one was already staying in.

We were then moved to another room with a tiny balcony. We spoke to the First Choice rep who told us that we would be moving to another room as we had paid for a balcony.

We went to reception and they told us that they didnt know anything about it, so if we hadnt have gone on we would have not got our proper room, ...
which we got the next day.

It was very nice with sea view. The food was terrible but its so cheap to eat out and there are some nice eating places in Sunny Beach we didnt care about the hotel food!!

I found some of the female staff quite ignorant after being tutted at after asking for mayo. There was one bar man who worked in the pool bar who was very nice and ver helpful ( many thanks Effle).

The rooms were kept clean enough but we had to complain about not getting clean towels which was sorted out very quick.

The spa is very good and we would recommend it... I hope this doesnt put people off as I love Sunny Beach as it was my second time there. I just wouldnt pay the money to go to this hotel again... happy holidays for any one that is just going!

Carole Bates stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in July 2005
Victoria Palace is a very impressive looking hotel. The hotel itself is very clean but the tiled floors are constantly wet and the stairs in particular can be very dangerous.

We were staying for 14 days and the food is definitely not even 3 Star, no choice of salads (flies all over this), no choice of vegetables and the same meat every night. In the end we had to eat out which we did not find a lot better.

The Dining Room itself was a joke with people rushing all over the place, the tablecloths were dirty, the cups were chipped and there was never enough cutlery (which you had to find yourself since they don\'t lay tables). There didn\'t seem to be any air conditioning in the Dining Room some nights it was so hot it was unbearable.

We didn\'t ...
find the Hotel staff very helpful.

We didn\'t bother to get a bed by the swimming pool we understand you had to be up at 4.00 a.m.!!

No Beach towels were provided which you would normally expect in a Hotel such as this.

The very steep slopes over the swimming pool are very dangerous when wet.

Nezzebar (Old Town) is lovely and worth visiting but the New Town in our opinion was like Sunny Beach much to commercialised.

Tour Operator: Balkan Holidays

Braddick stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in July 2005
I have decided to write this report after becoming fed up with all the moaning. If you are visiting this hotel do not be put off by the reports that you read. We were pleasantly surprised by what we found.

The hotel is impressive looking, clean and the food was good. We ate at the less buisy times and never had a problem with finding a table. The staff were friendly if treated the same and the first choice reps were very helpful.

The only real issue I found was trying to get a sunbed when greedy people put towels on them at 0600 in the morning and don\'t turn up to use them until mid-day.

The hotel is nicely situated at the end of the resort and is well serviced by a train which ran to the resort centre from ...
the front of the hotel every 20 minutes or so. The first shops and bars are with 50 metres of the hotel.

Tour Operator: First Coice

Sharon Newell stayed at Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach in July 2005
The Victoria Palace is kept spotless by an army of cleaners who seem to be working 24 hours a day. Our room was also cleaned daily and we had no problem getting clean towels every day.

As for the food, we weren\'t fussed on the breakfast but were pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of food most evenings. Check out the chef cooking outside on the veranda as his creations were some of the tastiest (and hottest) meals we had. This chef is also one of the friendlier members of staff as we found in general the staff range from unfriendly to downright rude with only a few exceptions.

Don't let that put you off though because this is a lovely hotel with massive rooms situated in a quiet family friendly location yet only 20 minutes walk to the ...
centre of the resort.

If nightly entertainment is your thing then you\'re going to the wrong hotel but if a quiet after dinner drink sounds good you\'ll be happy here. You should be aware though that most drinks in this hotel are more expensive than in surrounding hotels and bars so your lev will go further if you walk along the promenade. Also if you do get bored with the food you wont have to walk far to get a nice meal at some of the lowest prices you\'ll ever see. One tip though and this goes for every shop, bar or restaurant, always check your change!

lorraine visited the Victoria Palace Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria in July 2005
Well we returned from the VP and what can I say excellent, 1st impressions is Wow it\'s a cracker.

The food plenty of choices, and the location is perfect not in the buzz but just a 10 minute walk takes you into the strip where there are lots of bars restaurants try.
Tony\'s karaoke brill night.

Hotel staff very friendly and change bed sheets every 2nd day towels daily, I agree the only downfall is the pool where yes you have to be up crack of dawn for a bed but for the whole 2 weeks we used the pool next door 1st week about a dozen people used it but as word spread it got busier but it wasn\'t a case of being up early to get a bed 10/11 o\'clock was fine.

There was a lack of entertainment but ...
give sunny beach another couple of year and I\'m sure 90% of the hotels will have this for their guest, all these moans about the hotel, food etc all I can say is go to blackpool then for 2 weeks and stop MOANING.

Oh and yip we will be back. So go on try it if you haven\'t already its the best, better hurry though heard its getting knocked down in 18 months pity.

Other hotels in Sunny Beach