20 independent reviews of the Ave Maria Guest House
Ave Maria Guest House
Ave Maria Guest House Location
Ranked #36 of 40 hotels in Candolim

Ave Maria Guest House Ave Maria Guest House is rated 2.75 out of 5 from 20 Reviews

Ave Maria Guest House Reviews

Jacquelyn Scott visited the Ave Maria Guest House in December 2008
I have just returned from goa and after 10 lovely years spent there at xmas, this year was the pits. The Ave Maria should be avoided at all costs whilst there the rep warned us not to eat there and then the next day he had the kitchen closed down because of the filth. The lady that runs the ave maria is not one bit interested in giving her guests at least an enjoyable time the bar was not even open on Xmas eve or any other time for that matter. I am surprised that a large well known company like Jewel in the Crown has assosiated itself with such a run down dump. It was more like a home for the aged only it was run by then also. Disgracful is all I can say.

Tour Operator: Jewel i the Crown

O'dell stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim, India in December 2008
Stayed at the Ava maria 2, There were several problems with the pool, and this only got sorted when the rep intervened. We seemed to have more power cuts than anyone else. The main lady who was supposed to be in charge, did nothing but hassle for money. At one time I caught her eating crisps and spitting out the contents in the breakfast area, Table cloths were never changed, until I complained. The two room boys seem to be the only two that did any work, we cannot fault them in any way, they cleaned rooms well and changed linen and towels everyday. Kitchin was condemned whilst there which says it all. The pool was open to outsiders but there were no facilities for them, i.e. toliet or changing area. We were there for xmas, no decorations, or bar open. very dissapointing.

Tour Operator: Jewel in the Crown

Kate had a holiday at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim in April 2008
After a long 10 hour flight and a one hour drive from the airport we were dumped outside the ave maria 1. First impressions was that it looked more like a hostel then guest house!

In a room upstairs somebody was vomiting very loudly, the place looked run down and tatty. We were took to our room which was basic we didnt expect anything much any way but it was dirty and the doors didnt fit the door frame, we had to carry a padlock with us if we wanted to go out it was horrible.

After 10 minutes in there we left to stay else were. Ok it was a 1* hotel but it should be at least clean and safe I wouldn't recommend this place

Tour Operator: Jewel in the crown

Simone McChrystal stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim, India in March 2008
After reading some negative reports about the Ave maria I wasn\'t sure what to expect but we absolutely loved it. I stayed in Ave Maria 2 with my 10 year old daughter and we couldn\'t fault the place. The hotel is up a small lane behing Candolim beach road. Lovely location very close to everything but far enough away to be quiet at night. It was so laid back and friendly. All 12 rooms overlook the pool and we had a lovely big room with large balcony. The rooms though basic were perfectly adequate and kept spotlessly clean. We didn\'t have AC but found the 2 fans were enough. The pool was lovely, clean and very quiet. Breakfast the usual toast, tea/coffee and juice though the toast was pretty decent by Goan standards. The boys who run the place were ...
all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. My only criticism would be that the bar and restaurant are at Ave Maria 1 so everytime we ordered drinks one of them had to jump on his scooter and go and fetch them. Other than that no problems at all. Would definiteley return and found it excellent value for money.

Tour Operator: independent

Lorraine & Jay stayed at Ave Maria Guest House in March 2007
We stayed at the Ave Maria 2 which was very basic but then so is everywhere in goa! the room was small but we had no intentions of staying in the room all day so it didnt matter, room was clean and was cleaned regular! the staff there were so friendly they couldnt do enought to help you! This guest house is on two levels and all rooms have a balcony/terrace over looking the pool!

The pool was great and not many places have pools so this is a real treat if you like to cool of after a day on the beach or walking round!

I had a look round a few guest houses whilst there ready for my visit next year and i have to admit the Ave Maria 2 was the one i\'d go back to!

The ...
location of this place was near the beach and near the bars and resturants but tucked nicely down a quiet road(well more like a dirt track).

The Ave Maria 1 is in desperate need of \'doing up\' but the Ave Maria 2 although a fairly new build it has been redecorated and each room has a fan on the celling and when the room is dark, stars and moons shine from the celling! This is a great place but go with an open mind!!!

Tour Operator: Travelpack

irene critchley stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel in March 2007
stayed in ave maria2 had grate time there, rooms where
cleaned every day all the staff were realy nice.
my son and his girlfriend stayed in a big hotel in
candolim and had to complian to get their room cleaned. liked ave maria that much going back this
november 08

Tour Operator: travelpack

selena+craig had a holiday at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim in April 2006
Stayed at Avia Maria last April. Having visited Goa many times for 13yrs now found the accomodation just right.

Clean comfortable and chilling, what more do you need in Goa!

Staff cool and very helpful. Yeah would visit again.

Tour Operator: travel pack

roy visited the Ave Maria Guest House, Candolim in March 2006
Awful wouldn\'t be paid to stay here again.

The rooms have bed bugs BEWARE !!!!

Tour Operator: independant

michael and carol rogers had a holiday at Ave Maria Guest House in January 2006
We stayed at the Ave Maria 2 for 1 month the standards obviously are not comparable to Britain and the med however by Goan standards although basic its kept clean it is well located, has a useful pool and the staff typical of Goa are genuinly friendly and helpful.

Entertainment was not supplied which suits us though there are plenty of restaurants nearby some offering entertainment.

All in all good value.

Tour Operator: travelpack

Alan and Janet stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel in January 2006
We have stayed at Ave Maria hotel several times,we love the place.

Tour Operator: Independent

Vanda & Alan Hammon stayed at Ave Maria Guest House, Candolim, India in December 2005
We booked a flight only holiday last December and had sorted out somewhere to stay for the first week on the internet, this wasn\'t what we expected and on our way to the beach we stumbled over the Ave Maria.

Sharon at reception was very helpful and showed us the rooms at Ave Maria 1 & 2. We chose to stay at Ave Maria 2 (I wouldn\'t have stayed at Ave Maria 1).

All the rooms overlook the small pool, the room boys aren\'t very busy but are always there to help. The room was kept clean and anything you ask for they will try and get for you.

My sister came over for 2 weeks and got the room next door to us which was great. Overall the Ave Maria is spot on ...
for location, cleanliness, helpful staff etc and yes I would stay there again.

I think if anyone has stayed in Ave Maria 2 and complains then they really shouldn\'t be in Goa, they should go to a 5* resort instead!

Tour Operator: Flight only

Lucy stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim in December 2005
I visited Goa for 1 month over the Christmas and new year period. We booked to stay in Ave Maria. We both loved it.

The location, the staff, the cleanliness. It was all good.

We knew what to expect from Goa as we had visited before many times. We couldn't complain about anything. All the staff went out of there way to help us. We have booked to take 3 adults and 3 children to stay at Ave maria in December 2006. The food is not very good but what is the point of going to Goa and staying in one place to eat. You have to visit other places.

Tour Operator: Travel Pack

Sandeep visited the Ave Maria Guest House Hotel in December 2005
I am a regular to Goa, but my experience with Ave Maria is one the best I have ever had. Its the best place in Candolim.

The staff is very cooperative and sweet.

The location is amazing with the beach just ahead.

Well there is no TV or clubs, but who needs them in Goa, they have an amazing swimming pool.

Tour Operator: Friends

Sally Cooper stayed at Ave Maria Guest House, Candolim, India in March 2005
I have stayed in the Ave Maria Guesthouse 1 and 2 - undoubtedly the new Resort (2) is more modern as newly ish built.

I have been returning to Goa 1-3 times per year for 9 yrs and wouldn\'t stay in any other accommodation!

Maria Fernandez and her family are the most friendly hospitable people I could ever hope to meet and have made my returning journeys very enjoyable.

This resort looks to be one of the most up and coming in the area, the family have an excellent Sports bar on the Beach Road and are modernising Ave Maria 1 as well as the bar and catering facilities.

I truly believe if you honestly can find fault with this accommodation and hospitality, then Goa is really not the place for you, alternatively try the 5 star Anglified resorts if you want to ...
stay somewhere that has had all of the local culture, food, hospitality sucked out of it.

If you have any constructive comments, why not let Sharon and Maria know, in order to enable them to action it.

Robinson stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel in February 2005
We stayed in Ave Maria 1 which is the original block and is in need of much TLC.

The room was OK in as much as it had a bed, the toilet flushed and the shower worked, however you had to ask for toilet roll every time it ran out and the floor was filthy (less sand in a beach hut on Ashvem beach).

The best thing about the hotel was its location - near the beach and just off the main beach road so you are close to everything.

The staff are nice enough but not so much that I would go back when there are other guesthouses nearby just as well located and much cleaner and generally better maintained.

One of our fellow holiday makers described the place as Fawlty Towers and apparently his sink was half hanging out of the wall.

Rick visited the Ave Maria Guest House in February 2005
The Ave Maria 1 was very basic but we realised that it would be because of the price. The place is in a dire need of a facelift.

There was only 1 electrical socket per room, and because we had a fridge (which was filthy), we had to do our ironing in another room. We also could not use the mosquito plug-in because of no other socket being available.

The lads who did all of the work were helpful but seemed to be dispirited.

We never had a meal there, apart from breakfast, because we did not like the look of the kitchen area. I wouldn\'t go there again.

Tour Operator: Jewel In The Crown

Barry stayed at Ave Maria Guest House Hotel, Candolim, India in December 2004
This Guest house should not be used by UK travel Operators. A lady friend was in there and I got her moved as the place was a tip. She was bitten to pieces and not by mossies.

In December it has been done up for the Guests, if you think its bad then try March and it makes the mind boggle.

How jewel in the crown use it is beyond belief.

Ashley stayed at Ave Maria Guest House in February 2004
This was my first time visiting Goa and i was really looking forward to it as Family and friends go back every year to Ave Maria to stay.

When we arrived at Ave Maria it was during the day. We were greated very very nicely and shown to our room in Ave Maria 2. The room was basic but very clean. Maria was very nice, asked how we were and if there was anything else herself or her family could do.

If you have very high standards of a place then Ave Maria is not for you to stay there. However, if its service, friendly and cleanliness then this is the place for you. I felt welcomed and safe here.

The food at Ave Maria was not up to much. We had breakfast which was just your basic.

I am going ...
back to Goa and staying in Ave Maria 2 in February 2005.

Tour Operator: My Travel

hartley family stayed at Ave Maria Guest House, Candolim in November 2003
We were supposed to stay at the ave Maria 2. We chose it out of the two hotels we were offered as it had not been built very long we thought it would be more comfortable.

Big mistake.

After flying through the night and arriving around 11pm Indian time we were ready to fall into bed. No chance. We took one look at the rooms and the state they were in and decided to drown our sorrows at the nearest available bar until we could look around Candolim for somewhere else to stay. We had never seen a bigger dive in all our holidaying experience.

We usually travel to Africa and have slept in mud huts in the African bush that were cleaner and more comfortable than this sham of a hotel. Five more families left the hotel after we ...
went.

We found a wonderful place the following day called the Sea Breeze and we stayed there for the rest of our holiday.

The Ave Maria is the pits.

Tour Operator: jewel in the crown

Lou Powell visited the Ave Maria Guest House, Candolim, India in November 2003
Having been to Goa on previous holidays we were well prepared for the Goan accommodation standards. Or so we thought!

I have worked all over the world and have stayed in some pretty abysmal places but this took the biscuit.

We stayed at Ave Maria 1. The door to the room didn\'t fit the frame so we had frequent visits from all types of crawing wildlife. The room was dirty and we had to keep a bucket over the drain in the bathroom to keep the cockroach population at an acceptable level.

The food on offer was basic to say the least.

I have been to Goa since and we are off again in four weeks time. But stay at Ave Maria again? Not in a million years!