Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Dont go.

Dont book it, if you have cancel or swap it.

Drinks glasses chipped or cracked - not some, most!

Resaurant, plates chipped and dirty. Given the wrong drink, dont worry it will be passed to the next table even if you have tasted it.

The food is not good, eggs are good you can tell by the queue. 1 cook cooks to order, 1 at a time.

You will need to be up at 7am to get a sunbed but no beds for the under 16's.

Glass of pop? queue for a ticket the join the queue for your drink. Get to the front to find that no glasses left (barman will go out and collect - then wash them, then come back to you)

Nice room in Golden Soviva BUT over looked the pool, fancy a drunken swim at 3am? no? others do.

We have been to Tunisia before but will not go again.

Got back today 19/08/07 2 week stay, 2 days would have been ideal.
I stayed there in February 07. This is, in my opinion, the worst hotel in PEK, though the cockroaches seem to like it! If you're unable to change your hotel please do not eat there - go to the restaurants/cafes across the road or in the marina. The place is a health hazard.
Well stone me! I thought things might have changed at the Soviva but I stayed in 2001 and contracted what I reckon was campylobacter food poisoning!!

The reason I read the postings about the Soviva was that I was actually considering going to Tunisia for a week's break sometime. To be honest I rather fancy the Royal Kenz which happens to be next door to the Soviva and after spending most of our fortnight holiday there in 2001 (and only sleeping in the Soviva!) I most certainly would choose this infinitely superior Hotel no matter what the cost.

I just feel sorry for anyone who goes unawares to the Soviva. What a dump!

Trev
I'm sorry to hear it has apparently declined since I was last there in November 2003, though I stayed half-board at the Soviva, not the A/I Golden Soviva. At that time I had heard all the dreadful reports, it had even been on Holidays from Hell, so I was seriously worried, but I found it very nice then and the only reason I haven't been back is that it is at the far end of PEK and I prefer to be nearer the Marina, or preferably in Sousse itself.
aslemma,

Did you visit the Royal Kenz next door to the Soviva during your stay?
If so what did you think of this hotel compared to the Soviva?

Trev
Trev,

The Soviva may be next door to the Royal Kenz but it's a million miles away in terms of quality and standards!! The Royal Kenz is a very good choice - most reviews are positive. I've not stayed there but have spent time in the longes/bar etc. and it's lovely. Children can't stay at the Royal Kenz, so it attracts couples and adult groups which some people prefer about the hotel.
I also agree,dont go to Soviva.We stayed at Maharba Palace end of Oct,early Nov,and visited the Kenz,would definetly stay there next time,lovely hotel,very talented animation team who put on a really good show,about 45 min walk to the marina or 5 dinars in a taxi.
Oh My God!!
Due to stay at the Golden Soviva in August this year, and after reading some of the reviews on here, it may well be a disaster.
I did read that the complex was due to be refurbished, does anyone know if this has happened or is happening?
Hi Trev, Sorry not to have replied earlier, but for some time now I haven't had e-mails advising me of posts so hadn't seen your one. I haven't visited the Royal Kenz but I've certainly heard many excellent reports about it. As I said, I was more than happy at the Soviva, despite the bad reports I'd read, but that was some years ago and I haven't been back because it was a bit too far out for me, as is the Kenz. A lot of changes can take place over the years however and recent reports of the Soviva haven't been good.

If you are already booked there P1975 and are unable to change, I would just say to go with an open mind. The weather will be very hot in August so you are unlikely to spend too much time actually in the hotel during the day, though the pool with its water slides is (or at least was) excellent. You have the option of visiting any of the other hotels to watch the entertainment in the evening and there are plenty of places to eat in PEK if you fancy a change. I do think people on half-board sometimes get a better deal than the A.I guests, as staff are hoping for a tip (or three). :!:
I'm sending you a PM Briar as I don't want to be accused of being seriously :offtop .
after reading different reviews about this complex, i wasnt looking forward to going on holiday... but.. as soon as i arrived, the hotel was beautiful. i loved every minute of being there. the hotel was well kept, my room was cleaned everyday - bed made, clean towels, pool was huge with a huge water slide.. which i went on once and never again! the pool was FREEZING! gave me a right shock when i hit the bottom! the staff are very friendly, entertainment team are very funny. the resort seemed child friendly as there was plenty to do. the food was alright.. but it was near enough the same everyday. not a bad word to say about this resort, it was fantastic! the beach is about a 10 minute walk.. very nice.. the sea is very clear. lots to do on beach.. water skiing, para gliding, jet skiing etc loads

do the quad biking.. iv never had such a laugh tryin to use a quad!

x
So glad you enjoyed it. I stayed there some years ago and liked the hotel and staff very much and wondered at all the bad reports I had read. The only reason I haven't been back is that it is rather too far from the Marina and Sousse itself, which is where I prefer to be.
Fancied the quad biking,but my annual insurance,silver cover with Insureandgo doesnt cover this anymore!!.
Re the insurance your right most insurance companies USED to insure people on quads but i think cos there have been a few accidents and claims you now have to pay extra before you go on holls and the cost last time i checked was more than the cost of the quad bike trip. such a shame cos like you say they really are fun if your responsible and take care, but then youve got the others on the trip that go mad so........
The quads are more or less opposite soviva and the camel trip and there all fun, again my family all loved the camel trip and i recommended it to 2 other couples staying at soviva, this was a few years ago, they went on the trip and when they got back told me 1 of the camels had bit one of the ladies id told to go on the trip i then felt so bad for persauding them into this trip.

Re Soviva hotel we stayed there 14th March 04 and had a fantastic holiday made may tunisian friends and went out with them after work or on their days off.......We then went back 16th May 04 few weeks later and most of entertainment staff had changed, food had gon really bad, asked for same room but had a difrent cleaner whom we hardly ever saw or cleaned our room. So i can understand why there are so many diffrent views on this hotel. It really did change in a matter of weeks, even staying in same room.
Just got back from soviva 3 days ago, having spent 2 weeks there, we had a great time,met lots of new friends..just got to say the animation team were fantastic, very friendly especially nora who does the kids club she was SUPERB!! had no problems with the hotel, yes very basic but who stays in there room all day, meals were no problem lots to choose from, waiting staff were also great.
The pool was huge also the slide :tup had a good laugh on there. just one little downer was the guys selling the day trips in the resort, just a friendly NO to them and they will leave you alone. Roll on next year :cheers
The food!!!! I thought the food looked ok and of what I ate it tasted fine, but after a couple of days I had major stomach cramps and was in bed for couple day I thought I was going to have to get rushed to hospital I was in that much pain. I do not know if it was the food but after that I was very wary and survives on melon and bread and the odd bit of freshly cooked chicken. The food was boring and the same thing every single day!!!

The hotel was clean and tidy; the staff were nice although sleazy at times. The pool was big and nice although there was a pathetic rush for sun beds at the crack of dawn, some pay the pool man to keep seats for them and others take 10 sun beds for a family when they are for OVER 16'S ONLY (drove me nuts) be we got up about 8 and always managed to get 2 before breakfast. Not alot of exciting activities and the football kept bursting. There is a non inclusive bar in the hotel that is very classy and gorgeous and the club attached is also very nice although everyone that I know that went ended up in a fight as the locals were extremely sleazy and either tried their girlfriends and wives or just tried to pick a fight. The beach is fine and u get a peddalo and kayak for free which was a good laugh everything else including Para gliding, speedboat jet ski etc is extra.

Another tip haggle haggle haggle never pay their first price, you can usually get them well bellow half what they say just walk away and they'll chase you if they don't it will prob be in the next shop anyway as it is same stuff different shop, EVERYWHERE you go!!!

I enjoyed Tunisia and would go again just NOT this hot due to the food!!!! But I had a great holiday and did allow it to effect me that much!
Hi - we are booked to go to Soviva Resort in 6 weeks time - don't worry - I've read all the reviews and know we are taking our chances! Could anybody tell me if they have a launderette there please, as I can't see one mentioned in any of the details. I would also appreciate if anyone could tell me about the room sizes - when we booked, the travel agent said we would be able to get the four kids in one room, with myself and my partner next door, but reading all the details regarding the rooms, it looks more like it would be a maximum of 3 in a room?

Also, on a more general note, what is the preferred currency in Tunisia? I know they use the Tunisian Dinar, but from past experience, some countries actually prefer other currency than their own.

Thanks for any feedback.

Claire
I can't tell you anything about the resort but the money, Tunisian Dinar, most places will only accept this, and you mainly have to buy it on entry and spend it all, you are not meant to bring it out.
My family are going on holiday to Soviva Resort Christmas 2009.
I am really concerned as I have been told that all amenities will be closed, one of the reasons for going is for the grandchildren to go in the pool with the slides etc and to go to the Aquapark.
Has anyone been out there at Christmas and is this correct. What other facilities are available.
What is the weather like?
I have read some good and very very bad reviews regarding this resort so should we change the area and hotel.
Please please help me here.
My Daughter her partner and brother-in-law, four grandchildren ages 5, 10, 11, and 15 plus me late 50's and my husband middle sixties are going.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.