UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Pontins
22 Posts
Depends on what they do, if its a lick of paint i feel it wont be good enough, they need to pull down and rebuild the challets like Butlins did a few years ago
The one at Camber according to Meridian tonight is going to be recompletely refurbished and redone which is good as it looks rather dated at present.
We have very fond memories of both Pontins and Butlins. Had great family holidays there many many years ago when our 3 daughters were young. All the family went along - brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews etc. etc.
I was quite late going to a Butlins as I didn't stay in one until I reached 11. I used to be taken everywhere around the Country in the caravan (well obviously I wasn't in the caravan as we where going along :rofl ) and stayed at various camp sites.
If you are thinking of going, try and remember to have all your teeth pulled out before you go, so you will fit in. :rofl
:rofl :rofl

we went last year we were the only ones with no tattoos and a full set of knashers.
lol

I'd stand out a mile too as I have all my teeths, no tattoos and talk erm...well.
We went for a free taster day when pontins southport had spent a lot of money doing a refurb, my god it must have been an awful place before ,as it had nothing at all going for it .Bear in mind they were showcasing this park and it was filthy ,the pool was filthy with a line of grime around it .The whole camp was awful .Obviously we never returned here and never will consider pontins in any location
It looks like (just read online) they are closing down Blackpool Pontins.
Blackpool Pontins is closing for good at the end of the season. I for one am gutted. For the last 3 years my son has played in a footy tournament at mayday and all the teams, officials and parents stayed there. The place was tacky, dated about the 60's standard and the chalets need completely upgrading. BUT! we loved going as it was only for 3 nights, the food was great with plenty to choose on an eat all you want buffet basis and the craic at night was brill. The kids were always safe with guards patrolling everywhere - couldn't fault it and would have been going next year but for its unforunate demise.

One of the directors of Pontins appeared on our local news on the day of the announcement and whilst being pushed by the reporter as to why it wasnt being uprgraded instead of closure, he claimed it was impossible to renew the lease on the land due to circumstances he couldn't discuss. Blackpool Airport is my guess, it is expanding, however has a relatively short runway and to extend it to any length would mean directly onto Pontins site.
Hi barnio ... this is one of the media articles covering the recent closure announcement:

Pontin's to close Blackpool holiday park

Pontin's holiday park in Blackpool is to shut following a slump in bookings.

The closure at the end of the month was disclosed as the company released details of a £100 million investment to create 850 jobs at one other site alone as part of overall expansion plans.

Ian Smith, chief executive of Pontin's owner Ocean Parcs, said: "In commencing our strategic long term development plans, it is with regret and sadness that we will not be extending the development plans to our Blackpool Holiday Park.

"It was not an easy decision for the board to make but the level of investment required for a short period of time and a reduction in holiday bookings at the park, which is the reverse of the trends at our other parks, means that it is not commercially viable to continue beyond the end of the current lease."

He added: "We are currently in consultation with our team at Blackpool regarding the future.

"We will be doing everything possible to employ those affected at Blackpool elsewhere in the business as we develop and expand."

Pontin's unveiled development plans over three to five years for other parks

The planned investment is in addition to £50 million announced in February.

Developments will take place at Prestatyn Sands Holiday Park, Brean Sands Holiday Park, the completed re-development of Southport Holiday Park, Lowestoft (Pakefield) Holiday Park and Camber Sands Holiday Park.

Smith added: "Initial refurbishment has been taking place across the parks.

"We are very excited about 2010 and beyond where, subject to planning approvals, our investment and job creation will increase substantially above that announced in February this year - at our Southport Park alone we intend to invest over £100 million and create over 850 jobs.

"Our plans for our Parks at Prestatyn, Camber, Brean Sands, Southport and Lowestoft (Pakefield) will bring enhanced benefits to both staff and guests as we develop and grow the business over the long-term.

"Our outstanding value for money proposition has proved very successful and we will actively continue to improve and modernise what is an iconic holiday brand whilst we roll out our development plans.

"In parallel we are actively looking to further expand and enhance the brand across the UK."

With permission from Travelmole (9 Sep)
Blackpool sounds like Hemsby where the dont own the land so its not worth the investment , i just hope they can refurbish the other sites to a good standard, really needs a bulldozer to the challets, although the layout of them in blocks with grass in the middle is a really good idea, you can relax and watch your kids play, other sites like Haven etc is dangerous with cars driving between the caravans
They have gone bust, just read the News.
I wasn't a Pontins child but went many times to Butlins- mostly to Pwllheli, North Wales but also Minehead and once to Bognor Regis. Hubby and I took our two sons (when they were young) to the Bognor Regis camp where we had a great holiday despite having left one of our suitcases at home :duh My 7 year old son won the 'Mr Muscle' competition- The very same son who today, 17 years on has just arrived at Butlins Minehead for a boozy boys weekend :D .....and no, he hasn't got any tatoos and he's got all his teeth...

we always had good holidays there despite the sometimes dodgy accomodation.
Such a shame really :( I do hope they can be bought out or something :(
Holiday park operator Pontin's has been placed in administration.

KPMG has been appointed administrators to the company, which employs around 850 staff across the UK.

It operates five sites in Brean Sands in Somerset, Camber Sands in Sussex, Pakefield in Suffolk, Prestatyn Sands in Wales and Southport in Merseyside.

A statement from KPMG said all five sites continue to trade as normal and no redundancies of park staff have been made.

"The administrators are in the process of appointing an experienced leisure operator to the company so that it continues trading and to ensure that guests' holiday expectations are met," it said.

"It is the administrators' current intention to honour all reservations."

Jane Moriarty, joint administrator and restructuring partner at KPMG, added: "Pontin's is an iconic British brand which forms the backdrop to thousands of treasured family holiday memories.

"It has unfortunately struggled in the current economic environment but, with some support from new management, we are optimistic that it will be part of thousands of family memories in the years to come.

"From day one, we will be actively running Pontin's to ensure that our guests' holiday expectations are met. Any customers with queries about their holiday plans should call our dedicated helpline."

Interested parties should register their interest with Sandra Lister at KPMG corporate finance: 0161 246 4901.

The administrators have set up a helpline number for customers, which will be operating from Monday 15th November: 0844 576 8481.

Pontin's was established in 1946 and was bought by Oceans Park for £46m in 2008.

In February 2009, Ocean Parks announced a £50 million investment to develop the next generation of Pontin's holiday park.

With permission from Travelmole
I hope they find a solution for those employed by them (and naturally guests) xx

Not a good time of year.
Sad news indeed. Many happy memories of magic holidays at Pontins when I was little. :(
It seems they have been bought out by Britinnia hotels?
They've been bought for about £20million but who by isn't clear. Most reports say by Britannia Hotels Group but the FT says by the man who founded the Group. Not clear whether he still owns the group or whose money he was using. I very much doubt the camps will have the Brittania branding unless they take a sharp turn upmarket to become a colder version of Club Med!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.