DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
I have booked elsewhere for my next trip because of the site problems - with flight prices rising, I couldn't risk waiting for accommodation, even with the discount and the fact that I have had a couple of good deals through them before. I do think it's a bit strange at this time of year to close for such a number of days at a time of year when so many are looking to book, and then to extend their closure time to next week, especially when there is no indication that there is a technical problem with the site.
David HT Mod wrote:
It would appear that since these problems were first raised at the weekend, WSH have edited the contact details on their website to extend the dates of the New Year holiday closure period.

Instead of re-opening today as previously stated, the office is now shown as closed until Monday 12 January.

I can't see any information displayed to indicate that there might be a technical problem with the website, which meantime still seems to be showing no availability at any destinations for any dates.

Since I posted that a few days ago, it seems that the WSH website has been edited or updated once again to extend the office closure period, this time until 14 January.

I still don't see anything else added to indicate a technical glitch with the site or to explain the absence of any availability for any dates or destinations, a situation which also exists at Find-Rooms.com and BespokeDestinations.com, which are also part of Winter Sunshine Holidays Ltd.

David :wave
It doesnt sound too good does it . I dont think I could trust them with my money now :( has anyone tried phoning them ??
Yes, I have tried phoning a few times since the situation first came to light, but it is just the usual year round out of hours recorded message, which contradicts the office closure dates currently announced on the website.

I did also email one of the directors in the hope of being given some re-assurances for members about the closure and the lack of any availability on their online reservations system, but that was only late last night so I would not expect any replies just yet even if emails are being picked up during this closure.

It's easy to be concerned and jump to conclusions, but hopefully there may be some positive developments or explanations in the coming days which will allay the concerns of existing or potential clients.

It is a bit of a worry. I found then very good the year I used them to go to the Algarve, I hope everything is OK.
I can't see that there's a cause for worry here. Given the volatility of the exchange rate, they're not going to shut up for the holidays( and, let's be fair, everyone's entitled to a holiday) and leave prices showing which could be totally unviable financially within a few hours.
That's a possibility Sagres. However if that was the case, it does seem odd that someone is occasionally updating the website to extend the dates of the office closure period (now approaching 2 weeks), but not updating the website to indicate that online availability and reservations are temporarily suspended or experiencing a glitch. It might have been better to withdraw the accommodation search facility, if it is just a case of the company taking an extended holiday.

The same page of the website which shows that the office is closed also indicates that internet sales are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, which certainly doesn't seem to be the case. A simple message on the website's main page could explain why no availability is currently showing so that customers would not waste time making searches which return no results. I am told that their online payments system may not be accepting transactions from existing clients at the moment either, but I am in no position to confirm that.

I also had accomodation cancelled by WSH. Without any notice, my husband and myself arrived at pre-booked hotel in London on 03/01/09 to be informed that room had been cancelled on 31/12/08. Unable to get any response from WSH we had to rebook and pay again. On checking Bank statement money had been credited back to my account [less credit card charge]
Previously very satisfied with WSH service but convinced now that they have problems. There Christmas holiday is getting longer and longer.
I'd like to thank David for contacting the offices in his own time/expense etc on behalf of everyone :tup
We have booked to go to Majorca with WSH next August,We have booked an all inclusive holiday paying just the deposit now of £287 on Xmas eve. We paid this on a debit card, Does this mean we wont get it back if they have gone bust?
I think it depends, if it is a 'Visa' debit card you may be OK. Other debit cards it's less likely. There is some info on HT about this somewhere.

Its probably to early to panic though. Just tried the site and still not working, although I would have thought if there were major problems they would have put a message up.
We did use a visa debit card,Ive just got in touch with the Derby evening news and they are trying to find out whats going on as the firm is based in Derby.
As previously mentioned, my money was refunded on credit card by WSH [less £2 card charge] for London hotel. So I would not worry too much about getting refund. Main cause for concern at present is lack of communication, and explanation of present problems.
I have used WSHTravel several times and been perfectly satisfied. I've booked a hotel in Tenerife for March and have paid the deposit. Like others I have tried to use the site unsuccessfully for the last week and given the fact that you cannot book hotels, pay balances or contact them by telephone I think we must fear the worst. To have an inoperable site with no explanation and have a Christmas/New year break which keeps extending at what is traditionally a very busy time of the year must indicate an organisation in trouble. To be honest if the site does re-appear useable on Wednesday I would take a bit of persuading to part with the balance of my booking.
Just read on another forum,under Benidorm,people having problems with this company.someone due to arrive this weekend at a hotel have phoned the hotel today to check all is ok and have been told room has been cancelled and no payment from wintersunshine.!!!
I am getting very worried about this company too, I have booked and paid a deposit for a holiday in september, I have tried phoning lots of times but only get a recorded message and have emailed too but no reply as yet, I hope the Derby Newspaper comes up with some news for us all! I paid on my credit card but as the deposit is under £100 fear that I may have lost my money!
If you look on their web page under security they make a big thing of your funds going into a special fund with Lloyds Card net and say that they do not touch your money until you take the accomodation. claiming total protection.
I sincerely hope that this is the case, I have had many successful holidays accomodation only with them and although it doe'snt look good if they are in trouble then I am very sorry. Good Luck

Dave
Ive just got in touch with the bank,We booked on a visa debit card and they told us we were not covered,Feeel like crying.

As for Derby evening news,They still havnt been back in touch.
Derby evening news have just been in touch,They said they have been,Like us,Trying to get in touch with WSH but with no luck.They said they are running a story on it and its not looking good at all.Office is all shut etc tec.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.