Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Will post more of what Travelrepublic are doing in about an hour.

Latest is here, for customers with bookings with us.

http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/faq/FAQList.aspx?Id=113

Sorry to see you here greenshoes, after also seeing you on Custom!

Cajd, you say you are overseas. If it is with Travelrepublic, please PM me your booking ref and I will get someone to call you.
tell me about it steve :duh

Phoned CC this morning, money will be refunded in 7 to 14 days :tup so all is not lost as it was a holiday in February.

Im just annoyed at the loss of the glasgow - dalaman service as now scotland doesn't have a cheap airline that flies to Turkey.
The CAA website has now been updated with information about the collapse of Flyglobespan.
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1985&pagetype=90

David :wave
As a previously stranded XL passenger my advice to anyone who has booked using their credit cards is to get your claim submitted to your card company asap.

The last thing needed is if the card companies close the doors after the first wave of claims start landing

Good luck to all concerned
Consumer Direct (very helpful)today advised us that they have experience of the card companies telling people that they cannot refund your money until the date of your flight - this is not true, and refunds are entitled to be made now with a valid claim under the consumer credit act.
extra flights confirmed from thomson so some good news for people who are able to claim and re-book

SUMMER 10
GLA Majorca MON 17-May 04-Oct 0955 1250 0700 0855
GLA Malaga TUE 04-May 26-Oct 0750 1210 1310 1420
GLA Cyprus Paphos WED 26-May 27-Oct 1055 1810 0700 0955
GLA Palma FRI 07-May 29-Oct 0700 1055 1945 2140
GLA Alicante SAT 01-May 30-Oct 0705 1100 1200 1415
GLA Turkey Dalaman SAT 01-May 30-Oct 1535 2215 2315 0200
GLA Algarve SUN 02-May 31-Oct 0600 0915 1015 1320
GLA Tenerife SUN 02-May 31-Oct 1450 1930 2030 0005
EDI Tenerfe TUE 04-May 26-Oct 1410 1855 1955 0025
EDI Sharm el Sheikh WED 05-May 27-Oct 1330 2045 0900 1230
EDI Majorca FRI 07-May 29-Oct 1450 18:45 1155 1350

WINTER 09
GLA Malaga FRI 05-Feb 26-Feb 1025 1445 1630 1850
GLA Alicante SAT 27-Mar 24-Apr 0800 1205 1305 1450
GLA Algarve SUN 28-Mar 25-Apr 0600 905 1005 1315
GLA Tenerife FRI 25-Dec 1200 1635 1735 2210
GLA Tenerife FRI 01-Jan 1500 1935 2035 110
GLA Tenerife FRI 08-Jan 12-Feb 0900 1335 1435 1910
GLA Tenerife FRI 19-Feb 30-Apr 1455 1930 2030 105
EDI Tenerife TUE 16-Feb 27-Apr 0900 1335 1435 1910
EDI Sharm el Sheikh WED 17-Feb 28-Apr 900 1640 1740 2205
These firms really make me sick taking your money knowing full well that they are about to collapse the next day, the same happened to me when Powerhouse failed, the day before they took my order for a new washing machine, fortunatley I'd paid by credit card.
It was a toss up between Globespan & Monarch for us when I booked for Tenerife next Easter, Globespan were cheaper but thankfully I chose Monarch, lets hope they don't go bust!
My friend is just off the phone to me from benidorm, all the people in his hotel have been chucked out their rooms , he was not due to come home till next wednesday, he was on a holiday package with globespan , which i thought he would have been ok as in he would have just been able to finish his holiday. It also appears that they all have to pay for their own transfers to the airport from benidorm to alicante as globespan used a seperate company for this.All they have been told is if they need to book another room then they just have to keep all receipts.
The Scottish Finance Secretary claims that Flyglobespan was badly let down by the company which processes the credit card payments for passenger bookings. He says that E-Clear owed Flyglobespan £34m, of which £20m was for passengers who had already travelled. He claims that it is beyond dispute that the money should have been in Flyglobespan's account, giving them a better chance of survival.

Globespan administrators seek to recover funds

Administrators of failed Scottish travel group Globespan believe the company may be owed "significant sums" of money.

The disclosure came as PricewaterhouseCoopers confirmed that 550 of the 650-strong workforce of the Edinburgh company had been made redundant.

The remainder have been retained to assist with the wind down of the company.

Around 60 crew members based in Dehli and Dubai will be repatriated at no cost to them or the company after Virgin Atlantic stepped in yesterday.

More than 8,000 calls had been received as of last night at a dedicated call centre to deal with enquiries from Globespan travellers, many who have been left stranded abroad.

Two new UK-dedicated lines to help make it easier for customers to get through to call centre staff.

The numbers to call are: 0141 332 3233 or 0131 466 7612

Administrator, Bruce Cartwright said: "We understand that the group may be owed significant sums of money by third parties.

"We are currently investigating the position, and will be proactively taking action to recover funds due to at the earliest opportunity.

"This includes any monies that we identify as being due from Eclear, Globespan's credit card payment processing company, in excess of any amounts that they are contractually entitled to.

"However, our priority remains to refund customers who paid by credit card."

He added: "Our key focus has been on travellers and employees and we are acutely aware of the distress this situation has caused them.

"We will continue to ensure Globespan customers have all the information they require to both return home or to determine the next steps in terms of whether or not they can secure refunds.

"We would also like to thank the employees for their support during what is a difficult time, particularly in the lead up to Christmas, and also to Virgin for the support they have provided today."

With permission from Travelmole
A second Scottish travel company folds

A second Scottish travel company has collapsed in less than a week following the demise of Globespan.

Glasgow-based ABTA member S V International Travel Service ceased trading yesterday and cannot meet its future liabilities.

The company also had a branch in Edinburgh and was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Globespan Group.

It also traded as
Anglo Scottish American Travel
1st World Travel
Air Savers
Anglo Scottish Air Savers
ASAT
Canadian Travel
Direct Flightsavers
Flightsavers
Flightsavers Direct
Kangaroo Club
World Travel

Information on the number of forward bookings through this company is currently unavailable, ABTA said.

Any retail claims arising from the failure will be handled by ABTA's claims handling partner CEGA.

The company also had licensable turnover and any ATOL claims will be handled by the Civil Aviation Authority.

Just advice really - my friend booked her holiday for next summer with OT beach - flights with Globespan plus hotel. She couldn't contact OT Beach so she has booked new flights with another carrier and expects a refund from her credit card company re OT Beach. I am doubtful if she will get one because OT Beach could have booked her alternative flights if she had given them the chance and they haven't gone bust.

Any advice please?
Think you have answered your own question.

fwh
@ cajd - have you sorted your flight problems?

@ kazaa - what hotel was your friend sstaying in?

Please email me at stscot_news@newsint.co.uk - am a journaliist following the globespan story
Looks as if e clear wereto blame for the demise of GSM....just similar to the way e clear were involved in Zoom and Excel . Makes you think...30 million was owed to GSM! Such a shame.

Nivsy
Yes, a lot of attention is now focusing on E-Clear, the company which processed credit card payments on behalf of Flyglobespan, as well as on behalf of other failed companies such as XL Leisure, Zoom and Allbury Travel. (Allbury Travel collapsed just yesterday, 2 days after Flyglobespan).

It is claimed that the Chief Executive of E-Clear, Mr Elias Elia, was also part of the entirely separate Halcyon Investments consortium, which was in financial negotiations with Flyglobespan. It was only after that investment deal failed to complete that Flyglobespan was placed in administration.

Furthermore, it seems Allbury Travel is owned by the British Virgin Islands based company Allbury Ltd., which is allegedly also controlled by Elias Elia.

FlyGlobespan travellers get TravelRepublic refunds

TravelRepublic.co.uk has pledged to refund customers who booked FlyGlobespan flights through the company.

Travel Republic has already refunded many travellers and has promised to complete the process before the end of next month.

Airline FlyGlobespan failed last Wednesday as part of the Edinburgh-based Globespan group.

Travel Republic introduced its "total financial protection" scheme in January to cover passengers booking flights directly with an airline.

There is no legal requirement for protection for these passengers as the ATOL consumer protection scheme - currently under review by the Government - only covers those taking package holidays.

The online travel company pledges money back to customers if an airline, hotel or other travel provider fails.

Travel Republic managing director Kane Pirie said: "More than one million people book through us each year and we have been working around the clock to help those impacted by the recent failure of FlyGlobespan.

"Customers who booked through us are delighted they have not lost the money they paid for their flights."

£35m in Globespan funds requested

Globespan administrators have called for £35 million held by payment processing company E-Clear to be handed over.

PricewaterhouseCoopers have requested that the funds held by E-Clear be placed in a joint account immediately.

"The move aims to bring clarity to this aspect of the Administration process and crucially, enable any legitimate claims against the funds to be identified and audited before any subsequent release," PwC said.

"While some discussions with E-Clear have taken place and are continuing, progress has been limited."

Joint administrator Bruce Cartwright said: "We believe our proposal provides a commercial and transparent approach and will help to address the concerns of Globespan creditors.

"It will also go some way to allowing the parties to demonstrate that they are approaching this matter in a co-operative manner."

No one from E-Clear was available for comment.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.