Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
personal opinion...

no they are [like amunition] EXPLOSIVES and should not be on passenger flights
linzi_lou,

no they are [like amunition] EXPLOSIVES and should not be on passenger flights

As Brian says, they are not allowed on board passenger aircraft under the 'Carrage of Dangerous Goods by Air Regulations 1997'. This is because even though they may appear to have a minimal quantity of explosive, tests have shown there is sufficient to give rise to a hazard to that posed by toy gun caps. Therefore they are not considered to be suitable for carrage by passengers in their baggage and, even if they are within their original retail packaging, need to be assigned as cargo in accordance with the requrements for dangerous good (CAA Safety notice 15/99).

Christmas crackers in their original retail packaging are fine thought!

Darren
Have asked this in Aer Lingus thread but no one has replied. Hubby and I are going to Portugal in 3 weeks time. Do they allow luggage allowance to be pooled or will they charge excess if 1 bag is 22kg and the other is 15kg? They allow 20kg per person. 2 travelling together should be 40kg between them but just want to make sure.
cate_taylor,

I can't see there being a problem but to be on the safe side, can you not evenly distribute things between the two cases? eg instead of 22kg and 15kg, can you not take 20kg and 17kg?

Darren
Thanks Darren. I'm hoping that neither of our bags will be over 20kgs but was asking just in case.
Where at gatwick North terminla can I get our luaggage shrink wrapped or cling filmed for security? I rang gatwick and they said it was a luggage shop called excess baggage who did it.............only cannot find it on the website! Anyone tell me where it is in arrivals and what the shops called, any advise if anyone has had ir done etc etc..............many thanks
Excess baggage is the company which runs the left luggage service at airports,bus stations and train stations. I would look on gatwick Airports website for the left luggage or try the Excess baggage website it self. Don't know their web address but google will find it for you.
Im sure there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it. Plase feel free to move it. OH & I had a beautiful box of luxury choccies at Christmas. We haven't opened them, so were wondering would we be able to pack them in our hold lugggage when we go to Torremolinos?
Moved to flights section.

Mark :)
Helen T,

There shouldn't be a problem packing your choccies but I'd put them in a plastic bag just in case they melt!!! It might be worth placing them in the centre of the suitcase to give a bit of insulation. Aircraft holds are generally cold but airport terminals and the baggage conveyancy system isn't.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo. Thought they'd be ok in the hold. Hadn't thought about the other bits though!
I'd put them in a plastic bag just in case they melt!!!
I'm taking some Creme Eggs to Tenerife at Easter (they're a silly price over there, and I can't get through Easter without one or six...) I'll be putting them in my fridge at home until they're really cold and then wrapping them in some bubble wrap to keep them cool in my suitcase - obviously I won't be putting them in the suitcase until 10 minutes before our taxi arrives and they'll be straight in the fridge in the apartment once we arrive in Tenerife. I've used this method successfully in the past with Mars Bars and various other treats :wink: Oh, and the bubble wrap comes in handy for wrapping the all-important duty-frees coming home!
Hi. Hubby and I got 2 of the bags designed for putting rucksacks in so that they don't have to go with outsize baggage. Well worth spending the £15 each for them. I got the ones that'll hold rucksack up to 80 litres capacity but ours are only 65 litre so we had room on the way back to put things in loose that wouldn't fit inside the rucksacks (bought ourselves some new clothes in Decathlon on the new retail park just outside Portimao).
:tup to Aer Lingus who do allow pooling of bag allowance for people travelling together. My bag was 20.9kg (said to girl on desk that it would have been under 20kg if I could carry bottle of tijuana in hand luggage), hubbys bag was 17.?kg so we were under overall.
Hi Cate,

Those rucksack bags are brilliant aren't they! Mine is so well used that it's wearing out and probably going to need replacing after a few more trips but it was worth the money and has lasted well!

SM
My rucksack bags were £15 each from Tiso. Well worth it. Will use tham whenever we're travelling now. So much easier than suitcases
Just wondering if I took a bottle of champagne, the ones with the wire popping corks, in my hold luggage on a long haul flight would it be ok?
I dont want the cork popping in my case for obvious reasons.
sam
Never thought of that. Thanks Judith.
I have an expensive bottle of champagne I was going to take to celebrate someones birthday over in the Dominican Republic in june but I dont think I'll risk taking it.
sam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.