General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Carrentals.co.uk warns of hire car shortage

Carrentals.co.uk is warning of a shortage of hire cars this summer as suppliers run out of stock.

The car hire comparison site is urging British travellers to book early for the summer after a number of suppliers sold out in key locations over half term and Easter.

It claimed the problem was particularly bad in popular locations such as Alicante, Malaga, Palma and Faro.

Managing director Gareth Robinson said: "Demand in certain locations has exceeded supply this year. A number of car hire suppliers have held their stock levels because of the economic climate, but with many people still travelling some are being caught out."

With permission from Travelmole
We recently reported a shortage of hired cars in parts of Spain and the Algarve, due to rental suppliers being unable to increase fleet stock levels as a result of the current economic climate.

This has since been borne out by members finding it difficult or impossible to rent cars at their holiday destinations.

However, we now know of at least two members who had successfully reserved cars with Auriga Crown in Majorca and Valencia, but have now received emails informing them at very short notice that their bookings have been cancelled due to the non-availability of vehicles. No alternative options were made available to them and it seems the only option may be public transport.

We are not suggesting that any or all bookings with Auriga Crown are at risk but anyone holding reservations with that company, either directly or through a car hire broker, may like to keep an eye on their email inboxes or spam folders for any unexpected or unwanted news.

David :wave
There is a further story from BBC News today about the car hire shortage problem and the reasons behind it, etc., ... please click here.

Car rental firm folds

Car hire company Skycars has collapsed, blaming "cash flow difficulties".

A statement on the Skycars - also trading as Transhire - website said: "It is with great regret that we have to announce that we have had to cease trading due to recent cash flow difficulties. Therefore we cannot accept any further bookings.

"If you have made a reservation through us and have either paid in full or a deposit, you should have received an e-mail from us informing you of the position and you will have to make another reservation through another provider.

"If you are owed money you will receive a further communication in due course."

Car hire broker Holiday Autos stepped in to support to agents in the UK and Ireland wanting to rebook customers.

Head of trade sales Sandra Downs said: "2009 was a tough year for the car hire industry and 2010 will be similarly challenging.

"This climate has unfortunately impacted on Skycars whom have ceased trading due to recent cash flow difficulties.

"Holiday Autos is in a strong position to help agents make bookings for customers affected by the closure and will make it as easy as possible by offering advice and guidance."

UK agents affected should contact UK sales support on 0871 4725201 or email salessupport@holidayautos.co.uk

Irish agents affected should contact Ireland sales support on 014179629 or email irishagents@holidayautos.com

Hi all

I have booked a car in Corfu and they have given me the option of paying a further 12 euros for insurance of the undercarriage/tyers and windscreen. Is it worth getting this on top of the insurance already included?

Thanks.
Hi
Have enquired on the Cyprus section about car hire - would like a general opinion though.
We will need to hire a car for 2 weeks - have checked out several companies - some want the full payment (going in 8 weeks), others your credit card number as a guarantee - just wondering what most people do and can anyone recommend car hire overseas.
Thanks
Irene
For Irene,

Generally, I would look for a company which gives the option of pay now (with a small deposit) , or on arrival. (We usually pay on arrival). I don't know which companies you have looked at but, without any connection to car companies, we used Nova Car Hire, Auto Europe and suchlike. Also, we take out insurance for tyres, windscreeen damage, etc. which are items not covered in general insurance. Well worth it for peace of mind. Having said all that, I have not been to Cyprus, just mainland Europe, but I am sure you will find all the major car companies rent out cars in Cyprus.

Good luck and happy hols.
ccmc
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Will look at the companies you mention.
Would prefer a company that takes a deposit. Nothing paid and I would would worry about a car being there - just didn't fancy paying all before we go in case of any problems - definately want insurance for extras.
Thanks Irene
Hi Irene ... there is perhaps another consideration to take into account when deciding whether to pay in advance or pay on arrival.

Last year, there were major rental fleet shortages throughout Europe. Some customers were being told at the point of reservation that no cars were available, some had confirmed reservations but were told close to departure date that no cars were available, whilst others had confirmed reservations but only found out on arrival that no cars were available.

Many customers were disappointed and inconvenienced as demand outstripped supply while companies could not afford to update or expand their fleets for the summer season, and there are predictions of a similar situation this year. During last year's problems, it appeared that customers who had prepaid in full were being given priority for the vehicles which were available. Customers paying on arrival tended to be those first let down and told that no vehicle could be provided.

Payment in advance does not necessarily guarantee a car being available, but it may perhaps lessen the risk of being declined if there is a fleet shortage.

Hi David
Thanks for the information David.
We need a car for the 2 weeks as our villa is in a quiet part of Cyprus.
With that in mind I have decided to go ahead and pay in full and book a car this weekend.
Thanks Irene
Since posting a few days ago about predicted fleet availability problems, I have had emails from two rental companies confirming that there are already major problems at some destinations for the peak summer months. Last year was bad enough, but apparently some companies are experiencing greater demand this year, and have even fewer vehicles on their fleets than last year. Their advice is to book now if you need a car for July, August or September. Some might say that is a cunning ploy by them to boost reservations, but those who were caught out last year by leaving it late to book in the hope of picking up a bargain may think otherwise.

David
Emailed the car hire company - waiting for confirmation - fingers crossed.
Irene
Hi
Got our car hire voucher emailed to us today - hope all is ok, they have only taken a deposit at this stage. :que
Irene
Irene,

You have your voucher, a small deposit was taken. You will pay the balance on arrival. Sounds fine to me. I know if you have not rented this way before, it can be very worrying until you actually get the car!! You should be fine. Have a nice time.
ccmc
Hi
I am sure all will be fine - when I initially enquired the company said we paid in full.
Never hired a car in advance before - mind you I remember when we booked our first independant holiday I wondered what could happen if when we got to our accommodation they didn't have a booking for us but everything was fine.
Irene
Irene I know what you mean. I did my first independent booking, farmhouse apt. flight, and car in Italy, way back in 2003. I was terrified that the farmhouse didn't exist and we would not have a car waiting for us. All was perfect, and we haven't looked back since. Still, a word of caution, always do your homework on everything you find on the net. 99% are genuine, but there is always the 1%.
ccmc
I should get an A* for all the homework we hva edone on this holiday. :rofl
I always say if anything goes wrong I have a tongue in my head and a credit card in my purse.
Just hope all goes to plan.
Irene
A word of warning:- We hired a car through HoildayCars.com for Gran Canaria and received the voucher. It turned out the pick-up point given was totally incorrect which resulted in us spending nearly one and a half hours at the airport, making several phone calls and finally getting a taxi to the Orlando's local office at a cost of 15 euro's. On return we contacted Holiday Cars to complain and received an auto response that they would deal with the matter in 4 -6 weeks!!! Three days after the six weeks expired we received an email stating we needed to supply all the details of the complaint AGAIN and our credit card number via email. As is common knowledge this is a totally insecure method to send card details, and low and behold they would contact us in yet another 4-6 weeks !!!!
We have never encountered a more incompetent company with such appalling customer service, so although they may be ok if everything goes right, if you have a problem BEWARE.....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Car rental firm warns that prices could rise by up to 30%

Car hire prices could rise by as much as 30% this summer due to global car shortages brought on by the crisis in Japan.

This is the prediction of leisure car hire broker, Holiday Autos, who says popular destinations such as France will be particularly affected.

Cars used in France, mainly Peugeots, rely heavily on car parts manufactured in Japan where many plants have slowed or ceased manufacturing altogether due to the earthquake and tsunami.

Malaga is also very likely to see some disruption, Holiday Autos claimed.

Managing director Stuart Nassos said: "There's no doubt that the industry will feel the effects of the car manufacturing slowdown. To what extent prices will be impacted we don't fully know yet, but we think it is very likely that they will rise.

"We also expect that the recent civil unrest in Northern Africa, including popular holiday hotspots like Egypt and Tunisia, will drive customers back to 'failsafe' destinations such as Spain and France.

"As these destinations could be heavily impacted by car shortages, this is likely to affect car hire availability in popular locations and push up prices. If you're travelling to popular destinations across Europe including France and Spain this summer, we strongly advise you book your hire car as soon as possible to avoid being disappointed".

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.