Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
This unfortunately is not the first attack that has happened this season, we have been told of 3 more so far, 2 in Candolim and another in Calangute, it is not safe for woman to go it alone on foot or on a bike anywhere i feel, there was an article in the Timesof India about a indian journalist being harrassed on the beach with her friend in broad daylight by domestic tourists and even she said it is no longer safe for women here in Goa.
There is such a volitile atomsphere here in Goa both North/south at the moment what with the taxi drivers dispute, and the lack of tourists its best to stay in groups, i know thats hard if you are a lone traveller but everyone needs to be really aware of whats going on.
When I was down South I was told (reliable) of quite a few unreported attacks. Made me feel uneasy about the safety of solo travellers (male and female) in Goa. There is so much negativity in Goa with the current fall in tourism combined with rumours of terrorist attacks being possible. Sad but if you are single and female be very careful in Goa both during the day and night.
Once upon a day I would browse through the threads on this forum and others, pickng up the joys and excitement others were experiencing out there in Goa and thinking I can't wait to be out there myself but now I view the threads with a heavey heart.
The poor women being assaulted out on her bike by who? she must have been petrified the only thing I've ever feared whilst riding or walking out at night are other road users or snakes.
Is it not bad enough, that we read of many other similar incidents happening in all areas North & South but also have to live with the threat of terrorissom both on our journey to Goa whilst in Goa and on our return home.
Me and oh have been going to Goa for many years and have always really, really, really looked forward to going back but this year we are full of trepidation, however we are going in Jan come what may and we will enjoy our stay no matter what.

tush
:( The one place that I have convinced everyone I'll be safe going on my own.... still going just have my mini deodrant spray with me I guess.

It's sad that it's got like this though. :(
It's changing. I had my bag snatched off my shoulders from a bloke in Candolim. Be careful!
Do you think that some people check their common sense in with their luggage at Gatwick?

To be honest there are parts of Herne Bay I wouldn't walk down at night, so I treat Goa with the same caution.

Whenever my other half and me are walking too and from one of our favourite restaurants near to the hotel (getting a taxi would be too extreme as the journey would be so small), I always keep my eyes and ears open (following a good meal and lots of alcohol, he tends to float back so that makes me his minder).

I have one of those kipling shoulder bags (the ones with the monkey key rings). I like it because it has many pockets for bits and bobs so if anyone decides to lift something from my bag they may only end up taking a lip salve. It is made of tough nylon which would make slicing it difficult in a hurry and the strap is made of thick and wide webbing which would be difficult to cut in a hurry. I carry it across my body away from the road.

If we go further afield from the hotel, we get a taxi as we don't fancy walking down unlit roads. Why put yourself at risk for the sake of saving a few rupees?

I think that if I ever went on holiday to Goa on my own, and I probably will one day, and someone decided to pick on me because I was a lone woman, I would scream as loudly as I could. If that didn't scare an attacker I would forget that I am meant to be a lady and tw*t them as hard as I could or grab them with the intention of ripping something off.
I quite agree with you sydney but as for the part of screaming i always thought i'd be able to if needs be scream or hit out as i have had years of training both in self-defense and restraint and i sure can give a hefty punch but we i was burgled a few weeks ago here in goa and the guy was in the room I just froze to the stop nothing happened i couldnt scream or move a muscle, so i think it would depend on the situation your facing.
I for one would not go out now alone at night (only with the dog who is my protector) I go out in the car but lock all the windows and doors and will not even stop for a policeman at the roadblocks.
I guess I don't really know how I would react until it happens to me.

Even over here I don't like going out on my own in the evenings and always try to be home by 9 pm because after that time you get all sorts of weirdos driving around here tailgating you and flashing their lights at you just to give you the willies.

Another good reason for not wandering around on your own in Goa is the state of the roads. What if you are wandering down an unlit road having had too much to drink and you fell into a hole. How long would be before someone finds you?
This happened right by my room, I did scream! My friend was right by me, the bloke jumped out. I too have been trained in restraint and was very annoyed with myself but it happened so quick and just think it could have been much worse.
Could well be worth taking one of these personal attack alarms http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Personal_Attack_Alarm_31803/Personal_Attack_Alarm_31803.htm I bought one similar when my daughter went to university, they make a right din, probably dettering any would be attacker.
Noticed this thread was on the Goanvoice today, so atleast its getting some airing and hopefully people will be made more aware of the situation.
Hi, I let eddie (Mr GoanVoice) know about the thread as I thought it needed highlighting... It's such a terrible thing that needs addressing - I hope all involved went to the police and made a complaint.
Just found out that one of our volunteers knows the girl.. (and she has reported to the police so suprised it hasn't hit the news (that I could see). Probably try to hide the bad press... We'll start getting newspapers with blank pages soon - (I think I'm being a bit harsh)...

Be safe!
My God what a terrible story, just shows you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yes it was Mardon, but 2 years and no justice later maybe a way for the family to jog a few memories, shocking stuff and very plausible. I have met a few unsavoury characters during my long term stints in Anjuna 10 years ago and can well believe what his sister is stating :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.