Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
do you think the goods outweighed the bad and the ugly?
Which hospital did you have to go to? You were really unfortunate as most seem impressed with hospitals.
Thanks for your report. And I'll bet you are glad to be back to the lovely weather we are having :rofl
interesting report, good to see you enjoyed some of what Goa has to offer.

Which hospital did you go to? Are you sure it wasnt the Candolim general doctors? just off candolim road? Reason im asking is because my little boy had an accident and sliced his ear open, so someone fetched us a taxi and he took us to candolim medical centre.
My god, it was disgusting. Blood stains on the beds, so i said your not treating my son here, take us somewhere else.

We went to a private hospital in Panjim, called Vintage. Excellent service, very clean, and would put the NHS to shame here in the UK.
They looked after my son very well, and the nurses were playing games with him whilst they were getting him into a gown ready for theatre.
All in all and excellent hospital, i would definetly recommend this one.
Good report.

We like to stay in the south because we prefer a chilled holiday and the north stopped offering us that about 4 years ago. We do get pestered but not every five minutes, and I must admit there have been times when I have resorted to shouting at sellers to clear off.

That hospital you went to sounds horrible. I had heard that the Victor Apollo is meant to be very clean and every good.
Thanks for your interesting
report, it's always good to hear from a first timer. Those of us who have fallen under Goa's spell, like myself, often tend to turn a blind eye to certain aspects.
x lassi
I'm surprised about the hospital - I have a coulple of friends who are long-term property owners and both ex-medics.

Obviously they have the need to visit the hospital from time to time but have nothing but good to say about the Bosio ??? (apologies for the spelling) but it is the local hospital in Candolim (not the health centre by the bus stop) by the market / football ground....?
Yes,the seasoned traveller to Goa tends to not see the bad things that are happening.Good to read a fresh perspective.We are still undecided about this year with the visa nonsense and the prices for when we want to go are still ridiculous.

Right now the Carribean is looking good.I am sure however that if I looked back at my posts I would see the same doubts each year but since we re-discovered the magic we just keep coming back.

As for the timeshare touts try what I do in Thailand.That is nothing.Just completely ignore them as if they did not exist.No need to abuse them no need to do anything.They just do not exist for me and I cannot help but smirk as I see just how annoyed they get.

Or,learn some Russian swear words.
No need to learn Russian, they all understand perfectly the universal language Of "F*** Off" - sorry for that guys, but sometimes it becomes necessary :que
yes i have to agree, sometimes "no" just doesnt get through to them..

adele :)
First coming here on holiday then living here and running a business for awhile I got first hand experience of how disrespectful and rude domestic indians are to there follow man, they treat the people that do them a service like s...t on the bottom of their shoes, yell,click their fingers etc and never a please or thank you and the russians are just the same, never mind the language barrier they now exactly what their doing and the goans want them here :que only to be treated like dirt :think
I have never been rude to any intentionly but now I have started to get really angry at the way people talk and treat others and now say just what im used to think.
If they ask me politely for directions then I will answer them if not they get ignored.
Quite agree with that PJ, the domestic tourists (and others as you mentioned) treat the Goans very badly. Makes me laugh (very cynically) to think that us British tourists were not so long ago being called the "dregs" especially when you see what happens over there.
Adele, I must just add that I don't make a habit of swearing at anyone but sometimes frustration just gets the better of me over there, as you said sometimes the word "no" just doesn't compute and there are only so many ways you can say "no" :duh :) I am normally only ever rude to those who are rude to me and I am sad to say that I was reduced to this a couple of times during my last visit. :( (I didn't swear though) :D
we fell under Goa's spell after 2 weeks at the Caravela in Varca back in April and are waiting to return on Xmas Day for 3 weeks for our 2nd visit! However this time we are going self catering so i suppose we will be more 'exposed' to Goan life than our last visit...having to shop for ourselves and travel about and find our way on our own etc. I hope we still love the place after our next trip - bring it on ...16 sleeps... :cheers
I think every tourist resort has it's "good and bad" points,but overall goa is a wonderfull place. :)
Approx every 10 metres you walk someone will shout 'TAXI' at you
There slacking a bit then if you can get 10 metre's :rofl :rofl :rofl
Dunk wrote:
There slacking a bit then if you can get 10 metre's :rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl :rofl
we had only just got out of 1 taxi befor being asked if we wanted another,
My wife had to stay at the apollo victor hospital in marago and it was excellent, but then in again it was in south goa and not in the crap north
Quite agree with that PJ, the domestic tourists (and others as you mentioned) treat the Goans very badly.

Despite legislation banning the official caste system - you'll still find that the high caste Indians from Mumbai treat working people like dirt.
I object to what Steve 9 has referred to in the "North" -i'm very glad that you were well looked after at the hospital but why draw a north / south divide??????????

People go on holiday, pay their money and make their choices and what suits one doesn't suit all. However to criticise and shame others makes me sick - it just about sums up England and what we are all about and I guess why we all love getting away from it all.
Max, even some of the Goans treat the lowly hindu castes like dirt. (basket weaving family from Parcem/Pernem and been made up to "scheduled class" - (what a joke) I had a big 30th wedding blessing and party to which I invited my dear Goan friend (I call him my Goan son) who is a Hindu. He went up to get his food and the chaps serving ignored him and served the next waiting guest. My mate pointed out to me what was happening and I was furious. The guy was told in no uncertain terms that as we were playing the bill, and ultimately towards his wages, he WOULD treat MY GUEST the same as any other guest at the party. He got the message loud and clear.

Sadly I have NO control over such things when I am not there but I hated to see my friend treated differently - it was a real eye opener.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.