Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I have to agree.
I found it to be the filthiest money I've ever handled, the notes are absolutely disgusting, they stink :shock:

Pippy :D
We used loads of hand gel and still got wobbly tummys, nothing to do with food I am sure but more about sun, mouthfuls of red sea, swimming pools and too cold water. The yellow pills from the pharmacists work really well and buscopan works too, just stay off the immodium if you can!!
We have an apartment in Egypt and visit regularly. We eat out daily in a variety of places from hotel buffets, to back street Hurghada "restaurants".

Having long term colitis, I tend to have problems on holidays generally,(even in the UK) as any change in my usual diet can be a trigger. HOWEVER, I haven't had any major problems in Egypt yet, and for the first time on our last visit, it was hubby who managed to wake up one morning feeling distinctly crampy. Forwarned by the forum we had pre-purchased Antinal from the El Gouna Pharmacy (fraction of the price of immodium in boots may I add), he took one (flattish oval and yellow tablet), within half an hour felt considerably better, and the problem had disappeared well before lunchtime!! RESULT!

We have always used handgels (well, to be honest the kids are better at remembering than we are!) either purchased here or in supermarkets in Egypt and I keep a bottle of disinfectant liquid soap in the apartment. The Egyptian money is truly appalling and it's hard to disagree with anyone who claims that it is a viable source of infection.

Given my medical history, the fact that we visit 3-4 times a year, and have kids with us, maybe we have been fortunate in that over the last three years our useage of anti-runny-tummy (can't spell the "D" word!!) tablets has been a single solitary tablet. I can only put it down to keeping well hydrated, wearing hats and basic hygiene as I certainly DO have ice in drinks, eat salads, rice and lots of the things that I probably ought not to - we even clean our teeth in tap water now - and spend hours in the Red Sea to boot. Luck or location ???????
TAH-M agree totally, My husband has diverticulitis and he was careful and absolutely fine apart from one wobble! We all had a solitary egyptian yellow tablet at some point which worked within 30 mins. We were considering suggesting to his consultant thet they get them for him as they worked so well!!!

Yes buscopan workes fine for cramps, you can buy over the counter in Egtpt if you need it as well.
have been warned about mummy tummy and should get a yellow tablet from over there, does anyone know the name of this yellow tablet????
thanx
Hi,

I'm new to this site and am finding all the info. really helpful. I've booked a holiday for August this year, a week on the Grand Star then onto the Siva Beach.

I'm a bit concerned about the issue of stomach upsets as we will be taking a 7 year old boy and as you parents know if your kids 'want to go' they want to go there and then! :shock: :shock:

My question is....Do the coaches used on the trips have toilets and if not how do people cope with coach trips and dodgy stomachs at the same time????

I also suffer with IBS :( so this is relevant to me aswell as my little one. This worry is threatening to overshadow my excitement at the moment so please let me know how you all coped!!!!

Many thanks
Skylady
most important is wash your hands after handling money get an antibacterial hand wash, we stayed in hurghada for two weeks with no problems, there were some people who were ill and they blamed it on the food well if that was the case there would have been alot more people ill as im in the trade i know how food poisoning works, simple as that folks just wash your hands
Antinal, buscopan, and diaoralyte is all you need. Only Antinal can be bought in resort, the rest over the counter here in the UK. The above is used for cramps and the trots.
Is Antinal the yellow pill I keep hearing people talk about?

Also can you get it in this country or do you buy it over there

and what about Ciprofloxin 500

and does Buscopan stop the trotts or just help with the stomach cramps

Thanks

Ola
Yes Antinal is the yellow tablet in the yellow and white box, if you are prone to tummy upsets, buy them as soon as you get to resort, and BARTER for them. So many people dont, and they make a mint. If the shop keeper says thats the price, half it and tell them thats what the bloke down the peace road (near sonesta club) sells them for), he will them sell them to you.

Dont buy Buscopan in Egypt, buy them from your own chemist, they are all 10mg tablets and are white, if they pass them to you without a box, check the back of the foil, it will say biscopan. Yes they do stop cramps and you can take them 3x a day. Also buy Diaroraltye from the UK about £2, the black current flavour isnt too bad. It replaces the salt in the body you loose via lose motions and the sun. Antinal acts as an gut sterilizer kills infection via certain foods we eat. Milk is the worst, my hubby avoided that all week and was fine.
so you can't buy Antinal in this country then

I am going to the Sonesta in Taba, Michelle which is on its own really I wonder if there is something like that here that you can get.

Ola
just got back from sharm on thursday and i have still got cramps and the trots. had them since last saturday. i took buscopan which did not work, i took some white pills which one of the locals gave me and they did not work. i was in pain and couldn`t even drink any booze but i didn`t let it spoil my holiday. i was told to turn the air con off at night which i did and had 2 nights pain free sleep, someone did say this bug is airborne so the air con may have something to do with it
If any of you are sick, or still got cramps a week after coming back from Egypt, you must see a GP, they will request two stool samples from you. If you have eaten, salads washed in tap water, drank milk on cereals, or in tea/coffee at breakfast, had any ice cubes in drinks, drank beer too cold, had the air-condioning on all the time, had ice creams full of ice, or drunk water/pop really cold, you will suffer if prone to tummy upsets.

I avoided all the above knowing i get upsets, but i still had the trots for one day, it was the cramps that i still get now.

I take everything with me, and buy antinal as soon as i land, because on day 3 i always get it.

Never put me off though

:wink:

Michelle xx
Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I was struck down last time I went to Sharm and Morocco. We leave for Makadi Bay tomorrow and I have bought the tablets recommended on this thread to take with me. I have one query though. The only Buscopan I could find says that it is for people suffering with IBS... Is there two types or have I bought the right one?

i think there is only one buscopan and it is for ibs sufferers but i did not work on me. i had no ice, salads or milk as i drink black coffee and tea i think my problem was the air con as we had it on constantly but then again my husband ate and drank everything in sight and didn`t have a twinge. i don`t ever have stomach problems, and the thought of giving samples to my doctor is a no no. i am feeling better just a few twinges now and again. i don`t think i will go ther again but we are goin to tunisia in 7 weeks and only hope i don`t get it there
My wife and I are a frequent visitors to Luxor and spend 28 nights there each time, we have never had any problems with our tummies, we have a rule that we never eat anything we do not recognise plus we only eat fruit that we can peel.

We have just returned from Luxor and we are amazed that the majority of cruise guests (7 nights cruise/7 nights hotel) all had upset tummies and we understand that as you check in on the cruise ships you are given tablets etc for upset tummies, surely this must say something, maybe you are expected to get an upset tummy!!!!!!!

Furthermore, if you require the assistance of a doctor the cost is around £60.00 (sterling) so beware just watch what you eat and drink and hopefully you will be okay.

If you do get an upset stomach go the the pharmacy next door to Macdonalds in Luxor, overlooking Luxor Temple, they speak excellent English, ask for ANTINAL in the two tone yellow package, they will cost you 5 Egyptian pounds (50p) for a pack of 12 capsules.

Go and enjoy your holiday but be sensible, dont eat the local food because you are in Egypt.

Have a safe holiday
we are off to Egypt for the first time later this year and of course i fully expect to get "pharoes revenge" as Rob calls it. Does anyone know of medication that can be administered in liquid form to counter act this as the boy has great difficulty in swallowing tablets and i wouldn't want to further add to his distress by trying to shovel them down him.

we may not need anything of course.. but i am just being an over cautious mother!!!
val and rob

i would get some pepto bismol from uk. its quite good to tide you over but if you get bad tum then see pharmacist in hotel as there stuff is stronger and works better. pepto will be o.k. for a start as it is liquid.

hope this helps

ali
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.