Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
They do tend to show recent films and some TV shows. Might be antiquated with regard to inflight entertainment but I'd rather fly Thai than most other airlines.

I would take the DVD player as it gives you extra choice. Can always pick up some DVDs in Thailand to watch on the way back. We picked up a couple this year and watched them on my laptop while over there.
We flew Thia airline in April and had the back seat TV's.
thanks for the super quick replies. We will probably take the DVD player anyway because its only small and will be able to watch it whilst there aswell. 8)
Does anyone know how I can find out if we will have seat back T.V's? as this would make a massive difference to such a long flight. I presume they are installing them in all the planes eventually. Thanks again.
We flew Thai air in April as well but we did not have seat back TVs
If you are flying out of Heathrow on Thai than they tend to use their older Boeing 747-400's which probably won't have seat back video installed.

If you have your flight ticket you could try http://www.checkmytrip.com which gives details of your booking if it has been made via the Amadeus system.
thanks again. The holiday was booked through Global lated deals by my boyfriends mum so I dont have the tickets unfortunately. I am just going to assume that we wont have the seat back T.V;s then if we have it will be a pleasant surprise!!
It would be nice to have seat back entertainment as it's a long flight to Bangkok but the excellent service and extra leg room makes up for the lack and makes Thai my number one choice (possibly tied with Malaysia Air) for flights to the Far East, far superior to Singapore or Cathay with their unbelievably cramped seating.
Unless Thai have recently bought new planes, I believe it is only the flights within the far east which have seat-back tvs. They have recently put their prices up so maybe they will update their fleet at last.
It was Zurich to Bangkok we flew.
Oh well ive heard nothing but praise about Thai air so hopefully everything else will make up for the lack of inflight entertainment.
The other thing we are thinking of doing is maybe asking for an upgrade when we get to the airport as i believe there are three classes and the middle one looks pretty good!! has anyone done this and been successful, obviously we are willing to pay as long as its not an absaloute fortune!! :lol:
You may as well sign up to Thai Royal Orchid plus air miles scheme - via their website. You should be able to collect a few especially if you upgrade to business class. I've had a few free flights from my economy mileage collected over the years.
Thinking of booking for Thailand next year and got a good price with Thai International from Heathrow to Bangkok. can anyone tell me what they are like. considering upgrading to Business class, but wondered if someone can tell me more about both economy and business. Does anyone know which aircraft i would be on from Heathrow as i was wanting to check out seatguru.com but would need to know the type of aircraft. Thanks in advance. Cheers
Not flown with them business. They use Boeing 747-400 from Heathrow. Economy has 34 inch seat pitch so quite spacious. In flight entertainment is on over head TVs rather than seat back video, so not the most modern of systems. Very friendly professional service, my airline of choice for flying to Thailand of the ones I've used so far.
I agree with Sunbear. With Thai I wouldn't upgrade as their economy is very good, lots of room and excellent service. Though of course if you want something very special I believe their Business class is superb. Check out http://www.Airlinequality.com for reviews on Thai flights.
Thanks Judith for that link. I also tried seatguru.com to try to see the actual plane and the seating configeration, but Thai Int. don't seem to be on seatguru. Any other sites where I will be able to check the seating? Anyone know what the seatng configeration is in Business class from Heathrow to Bangkok? Are you able to pre-book your seats when booking? Hopefully booking tomorrow so would like to check out the seating so hopefully get to choose a good seat. Any recommendations for seats in business. Usually like to have a window seat. It will be 2 of us travelling. Cheers.
Maryjo

check out http://www.Thaiairways.com then click on Travel & Destination Information and halfway down the menu you will see Aircraft Seatmaps
just booked our holiday to Bangkok and Phuket for April. Decided to go with business class. They have also booked our seats for both journeys. We are in seats 12A and B on the outward journey and 14A and B for the return journey. Are these good seats? I went on to the Thai Airways website to check the aircraft seating. I know it is a 747-400 we will be on from Heathrow but I am sure I read that it is a 7443 version. Don't know where I got that from but when I checked the website seatmaps, the 7443 version appears to have an upper deck and seats 12a and B and 14A and B are in the upper deck. Is this correct? Have i definately got the right aircraft? If so, what is it like in the upper deck. I've never been on a plane before which has an upper deck!
It looks like your seats are on the upper deck. I haven't flown in Business with Thai but have done so with Singapore whose seats were on the upper deck. It seemed to be quieter and upper class had it's own flight attendants who stayed upstairs throughout the flight. On the Singapore 747 there was extra storage under the windows with a shelf for putting books etc. Usually up in the nose they had wardrobes where the FA'S would hang your jackets for you. It's a strange feeling at first only seeing the nose of the plane with no doors to the pilots. Usually the FA's will learn your names and use them when they speak to you.
It's a great way to travel, the holiday really starts at the airport when you get lounge access. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Make sure you sign on to one of the mileage programs.
Hi

Anyone know how strict Thai Air are with the stated 20kg luggage restrictions?

We have internal flights booked from Bangkok to Phuket in March.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.