America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Lots cheaper.

Levis 501's in the Levi shop are about £18

Timberland at the premium outlet is also very cheap and boots that we would pay about £150 in UK are about £25-30

John
My partner thought the prices were so good last year that he bought SEVEN pairs of trainers. I can't tell you what the prices were, but he is a bit of a tightwad so they must have been good value.

Tell your son to wait, he will be able to get newer models for much less than you pay here. There are loads of places to buy trainers.
Was in Vegas only 2 weeks ago. Tell him to save his money til he gets there. He will get the latest designs for half the price!!

Try the Premium Outlets at Grand Central Parkway (a taxi would set you back about $12). They have an Adidas there. Timberland boots are also only $49. My stepson has brought 5 pairs of trainers since we have been away (still away now and currently in Maui). Think the most he has spent on a pair is $50 and I haven't seen some of the designs back home. Probably haven't reached there yet.

There are lots of other shops along The Strip, Nike Town for instance. You could also go to Primm to their outlet centre. Its about 45 miles outside Vegas, on the California/Nevada border.

Hope this helps
Jannerlilli's advice is on the mark.

My girls say of all the outlets stores in the West USA, the 'Vegas outlets are the Best.
BTW: The Rebox store is excellent too.

The TJ Max store in the middle of town is a super-bargain, huge selection store too.
I've never been to a TJ Max store. Is it similar to Ross and Marshall's?
Daughter and wife reply somewhat similar but better prices, and far larger selection.
Thanks for all your info about cheap trainers at least it will keep him off my back now. Anyway all that good advice I can't wait to treat myself now. I think i'll be buying a few things for my self never mind the kid.
Mands
Hi mands,

Oh yes, you must tell your son that he should wait and buy his trainers in L.V! Me and my husband has been to the westcost and I can give you an example, this is about Levi's, we have give $20-30 per pair and I find out that we got 3 pairs ofr the same cost that for one pair here in Sweden. And somtimes the outlets have "sales" so at one of our trips, I think it was in Phoenix, Arizona, the Levi's store had this offer buy 1 pair of Levi's and you will get next pair for $15... :tup

And about trainers there are MUCH cheaper over there, I don't know what brand your son is looking for but we have bought Nike and my husband always wanted Nike Air and we calculate and we find out that he almost every time payed the half price against the price here in Sweden. Right now I can't remember how much he gave for one pair, I will have to ask him.

Well it's really fun to shop at outlets over there so don't pack your suitecase full! At one trip I had to buy a second suitcase because I bought two big pillows, lol! My husband sigh and thought that I was crazy but he has loved the pillows in our sofa, especially during evening when we sit, watchin tv :wink:

I really hope that you and your famliy wil have a great time over there! And please feel free to pm me if you have more questions.
:gluck
Hi again Mands,

Forgot to add this link to you:

http://www.travelnevada.com/

Hope it will help a little!
Hi all

Thanks to the helpfull people on here, I have secured a holiday to Vegas on 5th December for 5 nights (staying in Excalibur).

I'm very excited, and am planning to spend, spend, spend. What is good value at the moment?

I may be interested in buying:

Electrical items? Will they work in UK?
Games/accesories for my 10 year old son's Playstaion/Nintendo, etc, etc.
Trainers (Nike/Adidas etc)?
Sportswear (La Coste etc)?

Also looking for Christmas presents for my kids and family members.

Please reply with items that you consider to be good value, that I can purchase in or around vegas. Also, any tips on what is poor value (expensive) would be appreciated.

I've never been out of Europe before, so am looking for as much info as possible.

Thanks guys/gals.
This is a very old topic going back to 2006 but here goes...

Almost everything is cheaper in the US than the UK. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that you should shy away from buying when over here (within reason).

Electrical items should work in the UK with a power converter.

Video games - it depends on the system and depends on the game. Some systems have region lock outs so that they won't play games from other parts of the world. Other systems have the lock outs but they aren't currently utilized by developers. And so on. I don't know what exact system your son has but you can Google it and quickly find out how compatible it would be with games from the US.

With buying electrical items, the main concern is often the accessories for it (since, as mentioned above, you can buy a power converter for the item itself). For example, you could buy a video game console in the US but find that UK games don't work on it. Therefore, you would have to import any game you wanted to buy for it in the future.

Trainers and sportswear -- way cheaper in the US.
As GEB has already said, the voltage in the US is only 110V compared to our 220V. You would need to find stuff that was dual voltage before it would work without an converter.

There is the Fashion Show Mall on the strip, up past TI, and the Miracle Mile shops at Planet Hollywood.

There are also the Premium Outlets near downtown and the LV Outlets to the south of the strip, both accessible by the Deuce bus ($5 for a 24 hour pass payable on the bus) although I would recommend a taxi for the Premium Outlets from the Excalibur. Should cost $15-20.

The LV Outlets can be easily reached by the Deuce from the Excalibur.

Trainers, sportswear, jeans, etc are all cheap. You can expect to pay in dollars what you would pay in sterling here, or possibly less.

There is a Levi/Dockers shop at both outlets and a Timberland shop at the Premium Outlets.

Both have a Fossil shop where you can get cheap watches. They cost from $40 (£20) + tax (remember there is 7.75% tax added to all purchases). I bought one with Swarovski crystals for $40 and saw an identical one in a local posh jewellers for £85.

You probably wouldn't be interested, but I buy all my bed linen and towels in Vegas as the quality is excellent and they are cheaper than home for the same thing.

Premium Outlets stores listing and directions HERE and same for LV Outlets HERE

Remember that shoe sizes are different in the US. I take a 4-1/2 to a 5 and need a 6-1/2 to a 7 US. There is a converter HERE

Remember to come back and tell us the bargains you got!

HTH

luci :wave
This is a very old topic going back to 2006 but here goes...

I merged the post with this topic as it contains some useful info :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.