America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Thanks for this info Luci. I'm so looking forward to the trip.

Is there anything in San Fransisco that you would say shouldn't be missed? (I'm going to try to book the Alcatraz afternoon ferry trip as others have advised.)

Thanks once again.
:cheers
Stella
Definitely book the Alcatraz tour before you go. We were lucky to be able to book it when we were there, but had to wait a couple of days.

A ride on the cable cars, hanging off the side if you are brave enough. A walk or cycle over the Golden Gate bridge. Pier 39 and Pier 41. A meal in China Town.

luci :wave
Thanks Luci - can't wait!
Stella
stopped at the holiday inn golden gateway with titan before.....it is a bit out the way of the attractions in san francisco its half way up van ness ave,not really close to fishermans wharf or union sq...where main attractions are,only fault i would have...either have to catch a taxi or a bus which stops outside hotel from pier 39.

regarding meals we have always found hotel meals a little bit expensive always tried to find some where local for better value,but at places like cambria pines lodge no other places close so got to eat in hotel..

only thing i dislike about the coach tour is the amount of early starts you have some days but the plus side of that is how much you see....have a lovely time its a great trip

regarding the weather in sept.....we done the trip in september and the weather was lovely all the way ...very hot in vegas even in september but for san francisco weather around fishermans wharf its always cooler with the breeze take a jacket or a fleece with you..but regarding weather you wont have any problems anywhere else,be mainly summer wear here for all of the trip...may need a jacket or a jumer for a night...
Regarding alcatraz i think its one of the best tourist places ive been to,(some dont like it),i know some have advised to book an afternoon trip up there how i would do it on the free day you have there..

1 day not alot to see all of san francisco...

get up early take a cab from hotel down to fisherman wharfs and do the alcatraz tour early as you can ,you be back from it around dinner time look around pier 39 and some of the other things there...(little bit tacky in my view),go to where you catch one of the cable car routes and take the cable car to union Sq,and look around all the better quailty shops there,you are on a coach tour and it can be very tiring so a bit of yourself time if you like shopping will do you no harm,(if the hubby doesnt like shopping can always go a look at the baseball stadium and meet you later it is amazing venue).Macys Cheesecake on the top floor everybody i spoke to really liked it,dont eat it myself so cant comment,depending how much time you spend there could always plan to go somewhere else in the city after...but the last time we went once it got dark we didnt feel very safe around union sq alot of vagrants(tramps about)they just pester you not nice,i wouldnt advise doing to much walking about there once it gets dark...
Hi Yeltzman

Thanks for all this info. I'm building up a good picture of what to do in the short time we have.

On the days when you were traveling on the coach was there much interaction between passengers? I was thinking maybe of a game of cards or does everyone keep to themselves with their kindle or iPod.

As long as the coach air-cond isn't too high I expect summer clothes (shorts, t-shirts, sandles etc) will be OK on "travel" days. Don't want to pack too much and then cart it round for no good reason. I'm getting the idea that casual (and comfort) is the order of the day.

Thanks once again for all your comments.
Stella
never seen anyone playing cards i do have to say...usually the poilcy i think titan use is theres a seat rotation ...so eg if you sit at the front 1st day the next day you might move 2 rows back so by the end of the trip you do a full circle of the coach...so people around you espically oppisite will change from day to day,its a fair way to do it so people dont hog the front seats all the way on tour,the tour guide usually on the mic alot saying things and tellling stories and at other times leaves in peace for a bit of rest,it all depends on the mix of the people how the tour goes,theres always the dour people who wont say alot ,but you will meet a few lovely people who you will get on great with and may keep contact after the trip has ended,usually the people who smoke get on well the most beacause there off the coach as quick as possible after 2 hrs without one,and form there little smokers group,the last trip we did with titan as well,you all sat together on the plane as well,and the tour manager was there with you..so you might make new friends on the flight over..

Casual is the order of the day,for most of the trip you will be very warm LA,san diego all the way to vegas will be lovely,may need some jeans and a jacket for the yosomite and san francisco,but overall dont pack too much warm weather clothes weather will be lovely,other half maybe some trousers for a night,but no need to go over the top....

when you look at the trip got a few one night stops...and a few 2 nights....all we do is for the one night stops when the case comes from the coach just take out the next days clothing (usually for me shorts and t-shirt,maybe trackie bottoms) then just put the old clothes you wore either in a plastic bag or a seperate part of the case,because your traveling day to day you living out the suitcase not really worth unpacking case,
just my views this,but if you need or want to ask any questions please ask anytime.
  • Edited by yeltzman 2012-06-10 20:10:41
I spend my time on the coach looking out of the window or talking, I cant work out people that go on a coach tour and then spend all there time reading. The countryside and towns are so interesting
I am going on the California Sunshine Coast Tour next April/May 2013. I have been with Titan before but not on this tour. Can you give me some idea of what I can expect regarding Hotels etc.
Holiday inn golden gateway not in the best location in san francisco,a fair distance pier39 and union Sq..there is a bus stop outside...

cambria pines lodge on a massive peice of land rooms are like cabins really massive and rustic looking not anything round it

Been to long beach but not stopped in that hotel....Area has improved in recent years

Flamingo hotel right in the middle of las vegas strip idea location.....

only stopped 1 night in palm springs...didnt seem alot there

Best thing about that tour looking at it is Hearst Castle....One of the most amazing places i have ever seen how they built it where it is amazing.....i would have loved to seen what went on there in its hay days i bet some great stories to be told.....cant go wrong with titan have a great trip.
Thank you very much for that. I went with Travelsphere last time and stayed at Stratosphere Las Vegas but was miles from the strip so looking forward to staying at The Flamingo. As you say, cant really go wrong with Titan anyway.I am also looking forward to Hearst Castle! I liked Palm Springs very much but again didnt stay anywhere near the centre with Travelsphere. Titan do tend to stay in more central Hotels. You get what you pay for in the end i think . I would rather pay a bit more and be more central to places. I am a bit disappointed in staying Golden Gateway in San Francisco as originally were going to stay on Fishermans Wharf which we actually did when went with Travelsphere?
I will only be two days in San Francisco with the Titan Tour. When does the inclusive morning city tour finish so I know what time to buy the Alcatraz tickets for as I wish to go that afternoon to leave the following day free. Also would they let us off on Fishermans Wharf to save going back to the Hotel.
both times we done city tour been about 9 o clock start till 12-30-1pm,did a couple of city tours both were slighty difference once we went across the golden gate on other stopped at fort on the side,if you book 2pm could always have something to eat or drink if you a little early,usually tours ends near pier 39 so not far to go to go to alcatraz....another place i really liked.

just mention it to rep you got tickets for alcatraz,they are usually very good so at end of tour they might drop some of at pier39 area....then some might go back to hotel,last one we went on rep was on the plane with us so could always mention it there.

Dont get me wrong holiday inn golden gateway not a bad hotel....we just found it wasnt easy to get to from down by the wharf or union sq....its by the other cable car line...but it seemed to us that line the trams never seemed to run..

whats very good about the trip you booked,you got 1 free day in SF,and 2 Free days in Vegas(if you not going to grand canyon)so important on a coach tour to have a little time to yourselfs and not being told where to go and what time to meet...have a great trip
Hi,
Has anyone been on the music tour of the Southern USA organized by Titan Tours? If so, comments please Cheers,
Pete
Anyone that has done a trip going to Yosemite, how long did you actually get in the National Park please?
Hey, holidaylover10 hope you are enjoying your day.

When I was traveling to the United States I was also very confused about what to do or not then one of my friends suggested to hire a tour guide and I did the same that tour guide was awesome and I am impressed by him due to his vast knowledge of all the famous places of New York and he saves my time and I enjoyed my tour. And decided to go with them again anytime in future. You can also book them by this link:
https://gowithguide.com/united-states/new-york
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.