Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi Doepsmc :)

When we were in CG last year we used several, I'll tell you where they were but just don't ask how to get there as directions really aren't my strength.

There's a few in Cuitadella, we used Lidl and Discont - think Lidl would be easiest to find from CG - I think if you follow directions for Cala'n Forcat you shouldn't miss it. We tend to go there for our first big shop to stock up on basics - water, juices, soft drinks, etc.

There's also a few in Mahon, we used Eroski which was really good.

There's a Spar in Es Mercadel, which is smaller than the other's mentioned but has a good selection also, slightly more expensive, good if you are just passing through after a day out.

Any of these are far, far cheaper than resort. The prices in the supermarkets in CG were just shocking and I heard so many families complaining how much things cost. An example of last years prices are 5 litre water cheapest in resort 2.5 eu, at Lidl 60c.

We loved Cala Galdana last year, going back again in 2011, but were off to Son Bou this year. Have a wonderful time - when are you off?
Thanks Nic, brilliant info just what I needed. :)

Have copied it all down. DH is quite good at finding his way around so dont worry about directions.

have pmed you.

Doe :sun2
If Hire Car from Airport. Then turn right at exit roundabout ( me-12 ) to Poligno 500 metres down on left turn ( commercial area ). Across, 5 Supermarkets in there ( best is Hipercentral or Maxi Dia ) or Straight over at airport exit round about ,left to Ciutadella along ME-1 at Alaior there is a big Supermarkt on the Poligno. % mins from Me-1 or carry on to Ciutadella and Lidl in poligno just before entering built up Ciutadella. All will be min 20% cheaper and even a third of local resort supermarkets in Galadana
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.

We used the Eroski :tup that is just outside Ciutadella. Villa had a huge fridge freezer and we filled up for the week. Probably took about 20 mins to drive there from Cala Galdana. Great choice of products and good prices.

We loved Cala Galdana, certainly a very picturesque resort, probably one of the nicest on the Island.

As is said on most reviews both here & on TA the Sa Lluna is the best restaurant in CG, although we had lovely Tapas in the Alaska a couple of evenings as well. A disappointing meal in Es Pla in Fornells, this is the second time I haven't been impressed with this restaurant (I thought we were just unlucky the first time years ago !) :( I think it plays on it's setting and reputation too much and charges over the odds for food that can be had better elsewhere.

Not sure if you have gone on holiday yet Nic, but wish you a good time either way, and hope you enjoy Son Bou.

Cheers, Doe :cheers
Glad you enjoyed Cala Galdana, it's a lovely resort. We are back now Doe, had a nice holiday in Son Bou but have to say Galdana is my first choice ;)
Sa Luna - best restaurant in CG? isnt it just a Pizzeria, did you not try the more mediteranean restaurants like Cala Mitjana?

(I like good italian style pizza too )
Sa Lluna do much more than just pizza - the chicken breast stuffed with ham and mozarella is delicious, plus there's a great host there! Did not try Cala Mitjana - will definately give it a go when we return next year - would this be by Es Barranc in the gorge?
Thanks for that. Is Sa Luna aon the hill road behind Audax Hotel?

Yes Cala Mitjana is along the gorge Road where next door to it is is another Italian: Fuente de Trevi
Yes Sa Lluna is the one up the hill past the Audax.

Don't know how we managed to miss Cala Mitjana last year as we ate in both Fuente de Trevi and Es Barranc :que
islandboy wrote:
Sa Luna - best restaurant in CG? isnt it just a Pizzeria, did you not try the more mediteranean restaurants like Cala Mitjana?

(I like good italian style pizza too )

Didn't seem like just a pizzeria to us - there were five eating and we all had two or three courses and not a pizza in sight.

However I thought that Italy was in the Mediteranean anyway so surely would be a 'mediteranean restaurant' anyway :que

I'm glad you had a good holiday Nic :tup and enjoyed Son Bou, it was nice to return to Menorca and we were pleased with the choice of Cala Galdana, although we did go all over the Island, went back to Binibeca, Binibeca Vell, Punta Prima where we had stayed before. Gave Es Plas in Fornells a second chance and still wasn't impressed with the food there, I think i must have been unlucky unless it is all just hype, setting is lovely though.

May go back to Menorca in a few years time as it certainly has some charm and I love the short flight but will probably return to Egypt and maybe Greece next year or even try a new destination.

Doe :sun2
Italy is also a country close to Austria where northern italians eat very differently from those in Calabria. I think the original questionaire said Pizzeria not me :que
If Hire Car from Airport. Then turn right at exit roundabout ( me-12 ) to Poligno 500 metres down on left turn ( commercial area ). Across, 5 Supermarkets in there ( best is Hipercentral or Maxi Dia )
I agree. It's worth stopping off and stocking up and this is the place to do it!
SYP Supermarket is 100m from 2nd/3rd main road roundabout out of Cuitadella (another in Mahon) on industrial estate, if in doubt get out of car and follow delicious roast chicken aroma, buy all your stuff and dont forget the roast chicken (2011 6€) or goto Algirens Beach Nature Reserve first with roast chicken picnic - feed skin and bones to wild terrapins (1cm to 20cm) in off beach ponds, return to SYP for Menorquin ice cream, non-alco Grenadina for Orange Sunrises & other stuff.......... Sa Lluna is best restaurant in Cala Galdana - the chefs will cook anything classically Spanish you can imagine - just give them enough notice to buy any special ingredients and cook the 'gourmet delights' beautifully....
Just not very good food. It was good the first time we ate there in 2004 but since then has deteriorated sadly. On the other hand the food in the Fountaine de Trevi is excellent.
Recommendations for where to eat can be difficult as places change hands or chefs. Its always good to look for up to date reviews, which you have just given :)
When we stayed at Cala Galdana, we found one supermarket going up the hill from Audax Hotel, another down near the marina, and I there is another going up the hill on the road leading out of Cala Galdana. :-)
On 9th March 2017 at 11:27pm, Fiona said:
Recommendations for where to eat can be difficult as places change hands or chefs. Its always good to look for up to date reviews, which you have just given :)
Try the Delite Pizza Restaurant going up the hill (one way) up from the Audax Hotel. It is on the left-hand side of the road halfway up. You need to book when Cala Galdana is busy. Great pizza and service and very reasonable. :-)

There is also another good restaurant called Sa Lluna on the right-hand side which is part of the Apartamentos Alta Galdana.

Hope that helps!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.