Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Wow Dom you will be busy man. That is one serious itinerary, are you doing a blog by any chance?

Lance
I'm sure that they can all be visited within 3 months but whether you survive in a fit state is another matter! :-) It is an exhausting itinerary you've planned out for yourself, especially if that list is structured around the order in which you plan to visit them - it strikes me that if it is then you are going to be doing a lot of unnecessary toing and froing across Europe. How will you be travelling between places and have you factored into your budget the costs of visas? They could be considerable for you with regards to the non-EU eastern Europe destinations you list.
If you was doing a blog, I would be more than happy to publish that on the site for you. I would need a 3 month holiday after visiting all that..
I also hope this is not the order you are planning! I would lose a few destinations. However it would be a shame to miss Scotland out. Edinburgh instead of Bristol? Greece- where were you planning there? Is it mainland only?
Of the places I have been to on your list, I would say Barcelona and Prague are my favourites. I didn't realise how much I was in to architecture until I visited Barcelona- some stunning places. Prague is just very picturesque and easy to walk around the main sites.
Hey Lance,

Once upon i dreamed of traveling the world, so its about time i realize that dream :)

I dont really have a travel blog at the moment but I really hope to document something. Im not much of a writer but I can def whip up something if someone is willing to publish ;)
Lol, yeah, im gona have to come back to South Africa and just recuperate after the travels... Or hopefuly fall inlove with a town and stay there for a week or 2 :P the 3 month timeline is not set in stone :)
Hey SMa

whether you survive in a fit state is another matter!
Well I do hope i survive it :D
Sorry that list was confusing and exhausting, it was some serious zigzagging around europe. Ive changed it now on the map it looks something like this now:
London
Bristol
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Antwerp
Brussels
Cologne
Hamburg
Berlin
Prague
Vienna
Bratislava
Budapest
Košice
Kraków
Warsaw
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia
Saint Petersburg
Belarus
Ukraine
Moldova
Brașov
Bucharest
Bulgaria
Greece
Albania
Serbia
Croatia
Metropolitan City of Venice
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisbon

I havent even begun to look at Visas (im South African but have a British passport) hoping that it would help, so i havent factored that in my costs yet. Kinda just putting my feelers out there months in advance and planning now so I can budget etc.

Glad you said its possible, even with my crazy zig zagging... :P If it runs into 6 months, thats not a problem either, TBH im hoping i find a nice ski town in my trip that I can return to.
Hey Fiona,

I would lose a few destinations.
I just cut Strausberg (sorry to the ex girlfriend I was gona visit there) but couldn bare to cut much else.

Ireland has never been high on my list and seems like such a detour west, im also trying to skip as many expensive counties as possible :P
Barcelona and Prague are my favourites. I didn't realise how much I was in to architecture until I visited Barcelona- some stunning places. Prague is just very picturesque and easy to walk around the main sites.
Totally agree, I can appreciate nice architecture and Prague and Barcelona are in my top 10 list. Damn im so excited :) Anything in particular that blew you away or some or other hidden gem (im trying to add a list of all the things I have to see to my google map https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cfrsT0ewliyPnHLYTxXFlh7vORZ2uF5P&usp=sharing)
I am sure you will see menny interesting places on such a comprehensive list 3 of my favourites: Bratislava St Petersberg, Venice, I would also add Kotor (Montenegro) and Talin as you are visiting Estonia.
Well I for one am suitably jealous 👍

Many many years ago I did a months travel from Holland (where I was living at the time) to Greece where we island hopped, using a National Interrail ticket. This also gave us discounts off ferry travel.

How are you planning your trip transport wise?

Venice is lovely (we popped in there) but expensive. Krakow's 👍 Prague👍 Barcelona 👍 (watch your backpack 😉)

Am curious as to why Bristol?
Many many years ago I did a months travel from Holland (where I was living at the time) to Greece where we island hopped, using a National Interrail ticket. This also gave us discounts off ferry travel.

Hopin to do something like that, not sure but Im guessing/hoping i will be able to take busses and trains and when i cant, share a taxi or rental car with fellow backpackers,

Venice is lovely (we popped in there) but expensive. Krakow's 👍 Prague👍 Barcelona 👍 (watch your backpack 😉)
Why Karkows so good? Im south African, we used to watching backpacks and all things ;)
My best friend now lives in Bristol, so would like to visit him.
We went in the winter to Krakow & was a lovely atmosphere. There's markets in the square selling hot food (massive sausages). We also visited Auschwitz from there.
I was in Prague, Budapest, Krakow and Lviv. The cities and countries are amazing. Lots of places to see and lots of unique dishes to try )) Actually I wish I could spend more time there. On average we spent three to four days per city. We either booked a room in a hotel or rented an apartment somewhere not far away from the downtown (actually only in Lviv we stayed in Dnister Premier Inn & Resorts in other places we just rented an apartment at booking so that we could also explore these cities at night. That was wonderful experience.
Still I regret we didn't visit Slovakia. When we were passing through it from Prague to Budapest, I was just taken aback by its picturesque mountains. I'd love to go hiking there. Also we passed near the Spiš Castle and I just wanted to ask the driver to stop so that we could explore that place.
I guess I'll have to find time for that hike ))
The timeline of the posts in this thread is astonishing. By the way, the correct spelling in English is Krakow. Cracow is an old variation. If somebody is still going to visit the city, check the weather while planning, because in winter it's quite cold. Anyways, Krakow is the second best city to visit in Poland besides Warsaw. The architecture there is fantastic.
Go for it! That’s a super exciting plan.
If you guys are upto a tiring but exhilarating schedule, your route could be to land in Greece and then work your way up via Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia and end in Poland.
Of course you could choose to skip a couple of countries in the middle, but its all wonderfully connected by train/ flight.
Flights fares from Warsaw could be equally exciting… ;-)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.