General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I didn't know the 'name' had changed i still think of em as the 'Looky Looky men - when did that change then?
Always called them "lucky, lucky men" didn't know they were ever called "looky looky men" - whatever they're called they do my head in :rofl
Well I guess they are trying to make a living, must admit I don't buy anything from them otherwise you cannot be left in peace.
Kind of think of them as the 'painy, painy' men as they are such a pain in the proverbial. :duh
We've always known them as "looky, looky" men as this is what they all used to say when spreading out their wares.

I'd never class them as lucky nor us for having to endure them :)
I'm obviously the only one here who doesn't know what you're talking about. Who are they?
they are the guys who hassle you when you are walking down the street on holiday to either get you to buy a scratch card, a timeshare, various items of tat from their shop etc...the phrase "looky looky" is sort of from "u looky this"..but it has been open to interpretation by some as in if you get a scratch card from them, you will be "lucky lucky"..

either way does it for me...and either way they are still sooooooo annoying. In naama bay Gav was going to wallop one of them..he was about 15 at the time and this guy literally had hold of my arm trying to drag me to look at the tat he was selling..and they would not take no for an answer, they didnt like being ignored..whatever method i tried...so Gav turned abit aggressive and they backed off!

I guess they have a living to make but some are little better than beggars...
Well Ive always thought of them as "lookie lookie" men and to be honest I think of them as separate from the "scratchcard touts" in that they dont bother me - I sort of see them as part of the holiday now! :) - to me they are the guys walking around with armfuls of watches, sunglasses and general tat!

Usually if you smile nicely and shake your head they just move on without bothering you - the ones that DO annoy me are the people who come into the restaurants and leave those cheap plastic toys and keyrings on your table along with a typed note then come back and look pleadingly - I find they can be quite intrusive!

Its the scratchcard guys and SOME of the PRs I find to be too "assertive" in their manner and on an occasion in Tenerife one insulted us because we didnt go into his bar :really
  • Edited by tootsie 2009-09-18 08:37:15
Bridd, you aren't the only one who has never heard this term :que

I guess you learn something new every day here :rofl
Well Ive always thought of them as "lookie lookie" men and to be honest I think of them as separate from the "scratchcard touts" in that they dont bother me - I sort of see them as part of the holiday now! - to me they are the guys walking around with armfuls of watches, sunglasses and general tat!

I agree, Lookie lookie men are a completely different species than the cucarachas that walk around with scratch cards.
I always thought that the term came from the accent of these street traders ( whether they be legal or illegal is irrelevant) their 'African accent' when trying to speak English turn the words 'look here" into one word.

They were so desperate for a sale, and to either catch your attention or keep your attention, they would ALL say " look here" it seemed like they had all learnt just those two words.
The "here" bit got tagged onto the word "look"...it came out as something like loooook eer, with the 'here' bit not pronounced correctly and to the European ear sounds like lookie.

Hard to explain in the written word, but orally I could get it over what I mean.
How it got from 'lookie' to 'lucky' I think that is just the mishearing of the word lookie and being interpreted as lucky.

Sanji
lucky lucky men:::: lucky if they dont pester you!!! which they do!!! :D :D
some of the designer FAKE bags were quite good actually in fuengirola!!! but 80 euros for a fake is a complete no no to me!!! barter if you want one if your lucky!!!!! you might get one for 20 euros!!! if there having a bad night which in our case was every night!!! lol :tup :tup
I never have a problem in Tunisia - they come over, recognise me and say "Oh, it's you!" then we all have a laugh. :rofl
Cannot believe there are people on HT who have been lucky lucky enough never to have been bothered with these guys. I don't mind meeting them in the street, in fact I usually find they are not too bad. What drives me mad is when they come to your table when you are eating, not once but every few minutes, followed by the females with the red roses!
Hi Digby, As I know where you're going for your next holiday I'd better warn you that they will come to your table, particularly if you are eating outdoors. Just remember 'la shokran' means 'no thank you' and 'ma andee faloos' means 'I have no money'. :rofl No ladies selling red roses or any other flowers though - they are sold by the men and boys.
Aslemma, thanks for the warning. I must now definately write down these phrases (being a retired lady!) so that I can practice them and remember them. There will be no surprises for my hubby in Tunisia as I am telling him everything I read on here. He thinks I'm obsessed and I think he could be right! By the way, Aslemma have a great trip on Tuesday and a great holiday.
in spain the scratchcards and the lottery ticket sellers that you see with cards pinned to clothes airers etc. are disabled and top up their income from selling cards. This is not illegal, and you should be courteous , as they are generally ok people, just disabled!.
these ARE potential rip off artists and SHOULD BE AVOIDED. Also with the lighter on the table when you are out in a n open air cafe- DO NOT TOUCH THE LIGHTER- it means you have bought it! :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.