Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I'm a little confused, Mari, as to why you are asking a question with Barbados in the subject line here on the Cuba forum rather than on the main Caribbean one but just in case you are asking about this in relation to Cuba after all then, yes, it will be an issue in Cuba if you don't have the other half of your visa/tourist card, ie the part which has to be surrendered on departure. They'll make you pay for another one even though you obviously had one in order to enter the country in the first place!
I had the same problem in Mexico. Always take the slip out when handing your passport over in your hotel!
I had to pay for reissue at the airport. Think it was about £30 at the time. Give yourself plenty time at the airport.
On 19th May 2019 at 09:38am, Fiona said:
I had the same problem in Mexico. Always take the slip out when handing your passport over in your hotel!
I had to pay for reissue at the airport. Think it was about £30 at the time. Give yourself plenty time at the airport.
Apologies Sma I was using my phone and realised what I'd done but could not delete or edit in anyway. I thought someone from admin would reassign it it was about Barbados and I was worrying about my departure card. I neednt have worried as Barbados do not use these and ask for them back all they want is the original from when you arrive. Therefore it was not given back to me in the first place so no problems at all.
  • Edited by mari 2019-05-21 14:40:13
No problems, Mari, and glad to hear that your worries thankfully proved groundless :-).

I only knew that it could be a problem in Cuba because on one trip there was a woman in the group who'd packed the remaining part of her tourist card in her suitcase - which of course she'd checked-in and couldn't retrieve by the time we were going back through the border and immigration checks into the departure lounge! She didn't speak any Spanish either but luckily they did let one of the group who did, go back through to translate. It then emerged that she didn't have any cash on her either to pay for a new one! So J who was acting as the informal translator had to come back through to the departure lounge on her own to tell us what had happened and we then had to have a whip-round pooling all the odds and ends of our CUCs for her.

Luckily by this time the Cuban border and immigration officials had decided that the problem was just this one crazy foreigner and so saw the funny side of it and kept waving J backwards and forwards through the checkpoint as each stage of the saga unfolded. Luckily, as is common at Holguin, the plane was delayed otherwise there was a real chance that she'd have missed it and none of us would have been prepared to stay with her and miss it as well given that it was such a silly thing for her to have done in the first place. Here reason for packing it in her case? She wanted to make sure that she didn't forget to take it to the airport!
On 21st May 2019 at 03:03pm, SMa said:
No problems, Mari, and glad to hear that your worries thankfully proved groundless :-).

I only knew that it could be a problem in Cuba because on one trip there was a woman in the group who'd packed the remaining part of her tourist card in her suitcase - which of course she'd checked-in and couldn't retrieve by the time we were going back through the border and immigration checks into the departure lounge! She didn't speak any Spanish either but luckily they did let one of the group who did, go back through to translate. It then emerged that she didn't have any cash on her either to pay for a new one! So J who was acting as the informal translator had to come back through to the departure lounge on her own to tell us what had happened and we then had to have a whip-round pooling all the odds and ends of our CUCs for her.

Luckily by this time the Cuban border and immigration officials had decided that the problem was just this one crazy foreigner and so saw the funny side of it and kept waving J backwards and forwards through the checkpoint as each stage of the saga unfolded. Luckily, as is common at Holguin, the plane was delayed otherwise there was a real chance that she'd have missed it and none of us would have been prepared to stay with her and miss it as well given that it was such a silly thing for her to have done in the first place. Here reason for packing it in her case? She wanted to make sure that she didn't forget to take it to the airport!
Oh dear that sounds quite funny really. That is a silly thing to do really bless her. I am a worrier to be honest and I started panicking. I think it used to be a thing in Barbados but they are only interested in where and how long you are staying for and they know if you've left because of your passport. I'm quite Ocd So was surprised I lost it to be fair but then never remembered having it and being so tired etc. Plus the immigration man was quite chatty and I wasnt really thinking much. If I go to a country where I get one again I will be very vigilant over it. Thanks for your reply.
Moved to main Caribbean 👍
On 22nd May 2019 at 11:05am, Glynis HT Admin said:
Moved to main Caribbean 👍
Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.