Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
So the holiday is tomorrow? Wow very close.

The way I see it is you haven't lost any money as you paid the £527 on your cc & that has been paid back onto that card. Unfortunately, that card is now unusable to you which isn't the fault of Love Holidays. Otherwise you could have taken the card on holiday for expenses.

I would go on the holiday otherwise you will loose £900. Perhaps try & borrow the £527 as you would have had to pay it back to credit card company.
Not really the fault of the holiday company if that's the card you paid with? You have defaulted and by rights you owe the credit card the money I think love holidays have been reasonable by what you have said. Don't mean to sound harsh but they have done nothing wrong.
Legally they can only repay to the card originally used. The fact you no longer have the card would not be known to them. It is possible that the cc supplier may refuse to accept the refund (although unlikely if you owe them money) in which case you will then have to discuss with Love Holidays how they will repay you.
I'm surprised that having thought that you did want to cancel that they processed any refund at all given that this was so close to the departure date but as others have said, they had no other option other than to refund the money back to the credit card that you used to pay in the first place. I know that you'll think this harsh of me but that £527 was never yours and you weren't entitled to it. It was a loan from the card company that has now been repaid to them as their T&Cs oblige retailers to do. They do this to avoid card holders circumventing their systems in order to get a free cash advance against their card.

Love Holidays have acknowledged that they were at fault cancelling the holiday when they did and have presumably agreed that you are still in credit with them to the tune of £873? However, unless you can find some way of returning the £527 refund to them then I don't think you can do anything about this. As fwh says, it is unlikely that the CC company will refund it to you since it looks as if even after they received the £527 you still owe them money on top of this. The best way forward might be to try and persuade Love Holidays that they should refund the remaining credit of £873 to you but bear in mind that if you paid this using a credit card that it will be repaid back to that card, not you. See it as a bonus that if they do this then it will reduce your remaining outstanding debt and perhaps in future not use credit cards to buy holidays if you have no plan in place as to how you will repay that loan?
On 13th April 2019 at 10:52am, SMa said:
I'm surprised that having thought that you did want to cancel that they processed any refund at all given that this was so close to the departure date but as others have said, they had no other option other than to refund the money back to the credit card that you used to pay in the first place. I know that you'll think this harsh of me but that £527 was never yours and you weren't entitled to it. It was a loan from the card company that has now been repaid to them as their T&Cs oblige retailers to do. They do this to avoid card holders circumventing their systems in order to get a free cash advance against their card.

Love Holidays have acknowledged that they were at fault cancelling the holiday when they did and have presumably agreed that you are still in credit with them to the tune of £873? However, unless you can find some way of returning the £527 refund to them then I don't think you can do anything about this. As fwh says, it is unlikely that the CC company will refund it to you since it looks as if even after they received the £527 you still owe them money on top of this. The best way forward might be to try and persuade Love Holidays that they should refund the remaining credit of £873 to you but bear in mind that if you paid this using a credit card that it will be repaid back to that card, not you. See it as a bonus that if they do this then it will reduce your remaining outstanding debt and perhaps in future not use credit cards to buy holidays if you have no plan in place as to how you will repay that loan?

Hi, thanks all for your replies.
Just need to be clear I only used the cc card to make an initial deposit of £152 I think it was, after that I made all payments on time using a debit card.
We didn't manage to go the holiday in the end which we are gutted about. Me and my partner don't have alot of money and this would have been our first holiday in years with our little one.
The holiday was inclusive so we wouldn't need much cash apart from a few excursions.
Love holidays have been a nightmare to deal with, although admitting all responsibility with cancelling the holiday and not confirming to us which card should be used, they have offered us a measly £150. They have also said they don't have a complaints procedure (strange) and referred us to ABTA to
which I have now sent a thorough complaint to. The amount of stress this has caused us is life changing and scarred my wife more than me, as you can imagine the last 2 years with her being pregnant and all the sleepless nights since baby being born, this was a much needed break.
I have spoken to a friend who is in financial services has advised they should never have cancelled and the efect of that was them sending a refund to a wrong card. They are at fault with this. I will update soon as I have more news.
Thanks again.
If they have made you an offer then they are admitting they were at fault. I wouldn't accept the offer without first speaking to Citizens advice. For example, in 2000, I had a dispute with First Choice, they initially offered me £50, I eventually settled for £750.

Please let us know how you get on.
On 15th May 2019 at 12:45pm, Onewaytrip said:
On 13th April 2019 at 10:52am, SMa said:

That sounds unfair they should have asked where you wanted the refund to go if you only paid part of it with the card. I'm sure you will get some sort of reimbursement. I bet your partner is kicking herself for enquiringly about cancelling now. I hope you get it sorted and manage to get your holiday in the end. Everyone needs a break and sounds like your wife does.

• Edited by mari 2019-05-21 14:53:49
I wonder how Onewaytrip got on?
On 21st May 2019 at 03:43pm, Lance Chambers said:
I wonder how Onewaytrip got on?
As usual they come on here complaining and we try to help yet never find out what the result was. Waste of our time.
Sorry guys for late reply.
In short ABTA wernt much help and I havnt followed this up much as not sure what I can do. Since my last reply me and the wife having been living separately. As i mentioned this was a much needed holiday. I havnt had much time to look into it further understandbly. Thanks for the help and all those who replied.
It was a useful thread to read. I hope I will never need the information presented here, but it’s still good to know.
I wanted to go abroad for this year’s vacation, but now the plan has changed, and I am going to spend the entire vacation in a small but interesting town Destin, Florida. It’s not a bad variant because there are many things to do in that town like try fresh seafood, visit amusement parks and museums and go sailing. Everyone will find something to their liking, and I hope everyone from my big family will find this trip captivating.
  • Edited by ivaylos 2022-07-22 21:33:07
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.