Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi Dawnie-Rob,

I remember Berlin from my days in the services when prices were relatively cheap, but I've done a bit of digging about using Google, and it seems prices are still not all that bad. If your daughter eats out at a Schnell-Imbiss, she will get good quality grub, ie Currywurst, Schnitzel, half chicken, etc, normally with chips, bread roll, or a bit of salad, for not a great deal of euros. There are also lots of bakers who do filled rolls all day. The Turkish community are also present with lots of kebab shops, although not the healthiest of options, as well as the normal international places, McDonalds, etc. The University kids tend to hang out in pubs close to their halls of residence, where the food is normally cheap and plentiful. As to the drinking age, 16 years for beer and wine, 18 years for spirits. The best advice is when your daughter gets to Berlin, is to ask local kids her own age, where the best places are to eat cheaply. I'm sure she will have a great time in Berlin, I wish I was going to, as well as being 30 odd years younger as well!!:D
I haven't been to Berlin for a few years now and I believe that prices
have increased in the last couple of years, as they have everywhere in Germany, but I do live in the south of the country so I imagine prices will not be that much different to here.My husband and I went out for a meal this evening to a local Greek restaurant we paid about £20 for a meal for the two of us, that included a main course and wine for me and beer for him. These prices were middle of the range. Could have had cheaper or more expensive. People don't normally have dessert but main courses are usually huge. There are loads of really cheap places to eat in large cities especially near a University. As the previous poster said eating at a Schnell-Imbiss( sort of a mobile snack bar) is a good idea, food is really cheap and reasonably nutritious. There are also a a lot of cheap Asian fast food shops opening up all over.
Submarine sandwichbars are also becoming very popular, seems to be one opening up nearby every few weeks.
Berlin is a great place to visit, there is something there for everyone.
IMO, prices to eat out in Germany are generally cheaper and are of a better quality to the UK
Hi there.
Thanks for the information, my daughter goes at the end of this week, and is excited and nervous at the same time.

Regards
Dawnie-Rob :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.