Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I would suggest staying in Cascais or Estoril. There is a regular cheap train that runs from Cascais to Cais de Sodre in Lisbon from early morning till very late at night.Timetable follows http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/horarios/urbanos_lisboa_2007/linha_cascais_verao.pdf. You will certainly be able to get a hotel with a pool as it is a resort area.
The timetables for the local buses around Cascais, Estoril and Sintra can be seen at http://www.scotturb.com but unfortunately the website currently lacks a route map! Hope that helps and enjoy your visit.

Here's my potted list of the routes compiled from a visit:

At the time of writing the website does not have a list of routes or a route map. Timetables can be accessed through the 'Horarios' link on the front page.

Routes with rush hour only or very infrequent service are not included. While the most important routes operate until midnight, many close down at around 8pm. Buses are generally about one an hour, more frequent on some routes but less frequent at weekends. Buses called 'local' link the town centre/railway station with suburbs.

400 GIRO Cascais town - Cascais Shopping every 45 minutes every day 0930 - 2345
402 Cascais local
403 Cascais - Sintra via Cabo da Roca and Colares
404 and 405 Cascais local
406 Cascais - Cascais Shopping - Adroana - Estoril
407 Cascais - Amoreira - Estoril
408 and 409 Cascais local
411 Cascais - Estoril
412 Cascais - Estoril
413 Cascais - Estoril
414, 415 and 416 Cascais local
417 Cascais - Sintra
418 Estoril - Sintra
419 Estoril - Alapraia
423 Estoril - Aboboda
424 Portela de Sintra Station local
427 Cascais local
433 S. Pedro Chão de Meninos - Portela de Sintra Station
434 Sintra Station - Castle - Palace - Station every 15 minutes in summer daily 0905 to 1950
437 Sintra - Algueirâs
439 Portela de Sintra Station - Almoçegeme some buses continue to Praia Grande
440 Portela de Sintra Station - Janas - Azenhas do Mar
441 Portela de Sintra Station - Praia Grande - Praia das Maças - Azenhas do Mar - Terrugem
442 Portela de Sintra Station - Fontainelas
443 Portela de Sintra Station - Terrugem - Catribana
445 Portela de Sintra Station - Carvalhal
446 Mira de Sintra Station - S. Pedro Chão de Meninos
447 Portela de Sintra Station - Almargem do Bispo
455 Cascais - Rio de Mouro
456 Estoril - Alcabideche extended daytimes to Rio de Mouro
458 Algueiras - Mercês
460 Rio de Mouro - Mem Martins
461 Carcavelos Station - Tolaide
462 Cascais - Carcavelos
463 Cacém - Carcavelos
464 Carcavelos - Manique
467 Oeiras Station - Sintra Station
470 Oeiras Station - Conceição de Abododa some extended to Talaide
471 Oeiras local
472 Carcavelos local
475 Carcavelos - Zambujal - Parede
477 S. Pedro Estoril local
479 Oeiras Station - Zambujal - Parede
489 Oeiras - Parede
Hi Susie,
We have stayed in Lisbon twice now but in the winter months. We don't like to drive so took trains/buses eveywhere. The metro system is wonderful and so easy to get around all the many sights in Lisbon, so no worries there. We also went to Cascais and Estoril by train.
It really depends on what you want to do....beach or city???
I think there is so much in Lisbon that it is easier to stay there for a while in order to take it all in. I would also say that a visit to Sintra is a must (by train).
After 1 week in Lisbon, we still had not seen everything that is why we went back again, but at that time of the year it will still be warm and it would be nice to be at the beach. Maybe a split in the time between Lisbon and Cascais/Estoril would be the best of both worlds. You can easily walk between Cascais and Estoril.
If I can answer anything else, just ask.
Pat
:glynis
Hello susie, we have been to both and are of to Lisbon again next Friday, we had a two week summer holiday to estoril a few years ago and had a great time. we did go into Lisbon on the train and at the time it was 1 euro 25 cents each way, but as you say and I think you are right to split your time in both to get the best of both.
We stayed in Sana hotels in Lisbon and Estoril if you Google Sana Hotels and take a look at one in Estoril this one has a pool it is a 3* as with most of there hotels but is as good as a 4* also there is the Vila Gale Estoril also with a pool I have not stayed in this one but it looks a nice hotel and have stayed with this group in the Algarve, the one in Lisbon is the Sana Executive and is more a city type hotel but they do have more on there site. This time we are going with Easy Jet and have booked flight and hotel with them and are staying at the 4* hotel Real Parque near edward the iiv park a few tube stops from the centre of Lisbon as is the Sana one.
If you have Google Earth you can see these and many more hotels on there new updated site as well as all the major sites along with bars and restaurants, lastly I did put up a review of the Sana Estoril on the Algarve page on this site, look under Hotel reviews and resort reports.

Dave.
Dave,
We stayed in the hotel Real Parque and had a wonderful time there. It is a very nice hotel and close to everything. A very good choice, in my opinion. The nearest metro is San Sebastiao and is right beside El Corte Ingles.
There are plenty of bars/restaurants around this area if you don't want to venture into the centre at night.
We have also stayed in the Vila Gale Tavira....another nice hotel.
Pat
Public transport is the only sane way of seeing Lisbon! The main operator is Carris and their excellent English language site is at http://www.carris.pt/en/index.php . If you look under "Information Counter" and "Downloads" you'll find a superb map of Lisbon (Network Plan) with bus routes marked on it - the only problem is that it was formatted as a poster to go on the back wall of bus shelters so you'll have to print it in small A4 sections and sellotape it back together!! Carris run the yellow buses in the core of Lisbon plus the trams, some of the passes they offer also include the Metro. Don't bother with the official tour bus unless you want to pay for the commentary, the best way to see the old city is by tram at ordinary fares (or even on a day pass). One bus route worth knowing is the little 37 which takes you up the very steep hill to the castle! Carris also run the Funiculars and the Sta Justa elevator. Buses around the fringe may be operated by other companies (including Stagecoach and Arriva!!) but they're not usually in places tourists go to. Suburban trains including the Cascais line are run by CP (http://www.cp.pt then click the Union Jack and look under "Urban") except for the commuter trains that cross the bridge over the Tagus (run by Fertagus).

You won't find many hotels in central Lisbon with pools and given that Estoril and Cascais are so close to the city it may not be worth doing two centres, the Cascais line runs until very late every night.

I've done two centred using Lisbon and Tavira (also using the Vila Gale) and it's easy enough by train but if you've already booked flights there would be a long double back and probably an extra odd night in Lisbon. If you haven't booked flights yet then see if you can get out to Lisbon and back from Faro. In that case you could stay in Lisbon, visit the Cascais area in a day trip and then move south for the proper beach.

Bus Route 403 (between Cascais and Sintra) mentioned in Cubsur's list is well worth a ride, get a day ticket and brake the journey for an hour or so at Cabo da Roca. This is the most westerly point on the European mainland and not at all touristy, just a reasonably priced cafe and shop and a superb view for those with a head for heights!

The main express trains between Lisbon and Faro are classed as "Alfa", these are earlier versions of Virgin Pendolinos but are cheaper and more punctual - and don't turn into buses at the weekend!
Thank you to everyone for your posts, there's a lot of very useful info in all of them and I shall take some time to look into all the trains, buses and hotels mentioned. We are looking for a mix of beach and city break so the area sounds ideal, whichever variation we opt for, thank you again!
:hols
Hello Pat, thanks for the inside view on the Real Parque its always a chance on what you get when you look up these things on the net. I do know the area a bit from when we stayed there in the Sana Hotel and used San Sabastiao metro and have been in El Corte Ingles. We have stayed in the Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa twice that is why we are going to the one in Tavira,and as with Tavira do you know of any good restaurants to try in the area we will be staying in Lisbon. We will be going to the Bairro Alto Saturday night but it will be a long day on Friday with all the traverling got to be up at 3.00am that day so will be looking to stay round by the hotel at night.

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
Can't remember the names of the places that we ate round about the Real Parque. We tended to go to little cafe places there for something to eat rather than restaurants.
I know that when we came out of the hotel, we went left (heading down towards Saldanha metro) and we found a couple of places that did cheap but lovely food for dinner. There are loads of places around there and you are close to Avenida Berna which has lots of places too ,so you will not be stuck. We also wandered around the streets beside the hotel and found other places where we could get a cheap meal.
I'm sure you will enjoy it and am sure you will find something nearby when you arrive.
Pat
My favourite is the Quebra Mar at Avenida da Liberdada 77, south of the Pombal roundabout (right hand side heading downhill towards centre). On paper it's about a mile from your hotel but once you've danced around all the traffic it'll probably be further. It is close to Avenida metro which is 2 stops from Parque station on the same line. Closed Sundays.
Hello, thanks for the replys on the restaurants, with a bit of luck I will be sat in one of them this time tomorrow. We fly first thing Friday and should be in our hotel by 10.30am, I will give you all a run down of our weekend Mon/Tuesday of what we got up to and any good places to eat and drink :cheers

Dave.
Well here we are, and only just. They say things happen in three's and it did for us this weekend, I will put about the things we did later but for now here are the three things that happened. My friend asked me to take a photo of him and his wife from the battlements of the Castelo in Lisbon and with out thinking I put my Guide book on the wall and just as I walked away over the side it went, when I looked down there must have been 20 other Guide books down there, fine start.
On the tram to Balem me and the wife were trying to get 4 tickets from the ticket machine when two thiefs tryed the old bump into you trick and nick the wifes purse good job she had her wits about her and moved out of the way, the woman thief had her hand in her purse but never got any thing, just as well as she had the kitty of 120 euros.
The last one was perhaps the worst one on the way home the plane was on its run in to Luton airport when the pilot abourted his landing and went round again and again, he told us there was a fault with the flaps the same fault that had delayed them at Lisbon airport. I can tell you all it was a bit of a scare to see the fire engines waiting at the end of the runway.

Other than this we had a great time and will tell more in a day or two.
Dave.
I think you'e just highlighted another good reason for getting Carris day passes instead of buying tickets as you go!
Hello steve,
I must agree with you on that, the reason we did it like that was we were going on from Balem to Cascais on the train and then back by train to Lisbon. The thing is the people (if you can call them that) who tryed it were Gypsies who do it all the time as they do all over the world, we let our selfs down by getting into this situation and should have known better. I just wished my wife had told me before they got of the tram so I could have belted them both, you can be sure I will not let this happen again.
Dave.
Cascais is a wonderful place to visit. Great city, modern, nice sites to see.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.