Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Symi is a must for the most impressive harbour in Greece and Nissyros for its uniqueness.
Not Chalki - out of the "chain" - the only daily boats (not ferries, boats!) are from Skala Kamirou half way down the coast of Rhodes.

I would recommend visiting all 3 others though (but I'm biased to Tilos!)
thats ace thanks so much for the tips - it'll be ideal if there are daily boats so we can just spend a day or 2 on each

thanks
I'm not familiar with them all (we had a 2 centre holiday on Kos and Kalymnos) but the trip from Kos to Nisyros was really good. The trip into the volcanic crater with it's bubbling sulphurous pits was fascinating and we'd have loved to stay overnight in one of the little villages.
Don't know what the Symi/Tilos, Nissyros/Tilos connections are like nowadays - the Sea Star (when it's running) tends to only go Rhodes to Tilos. Last year the Anonymous Shipping Co of Symi (ANES) was running a boat on the Rhodes-Symi-Tilos-Nissiros-Kos line, so you could check their website.

The islanders actually blockaded the island for 3 weeks recently protesting at the loss of livelihood likely due to the cut in ferry services!
I would definately miss out Chalki, too much like Symi, some say 'weird', and ferries are a bit awkward.

Transport Rhodes-Symi-Tilos-Nissyros-Kos.

Rhodes>Symi, ANES ferries, Dodecanese Seaways catamarans, Aegli hydrofoil - about 4 per day so not a problem.

Symi>Tilos, ANES ferries the rust bucket 'Proteus' - this is not daily about 2x per week plus a larger ferry one per week.

Tilos>Nissyros, the 'Proteus' - again 3x per week plus 1 larger ferry per week.

Nissyros>Kos, Yet again the 'Proteus' - 3x per week to Kos town, plus the local Nissyros island mega rust bucket 'Panagia Spiliani' 6x per week at about 07:00 to Kos town.
In addition there is a small ferry 6 days a week to Kardamena(Kos), early morning.

You will need to go to ferry agent on arrival in Symi and Tilos as the onward connections are not daily, the rest is dead easy.

This was the case in June last year, I went north to south to all of them, but the principle is the same.

I would not single out any particular island as a 'must see'. It is an excellent selection/mix of quieter islands and nightlife places.

ANES ferries:
http://www.anes.gr/index.php
Agree Ouzo - Halki's one to miss, far too little England (Home Counties), I only stayed 2 nights and couldn't wait to get off!!

I know ANES are proposing an alternative to the Proteus for the old Nissos Kalymnos island linking run, but as of yet nothing - good current info can be had at the Tilos-Kosmos site http://www.tilos-kosmos.com/TRAVEL%20TO%20TILOS/Tilostravel.html
I fear the dear old Proteus is no more, or such was the case last week. She is apparently being part-exchanged for one of the newer SAOS ships.

The ferry situation is still subject to retender but the latest news (which may change from day to day, of course) may be found on either:

http://www.12ne.gr/en/ (Dodekanese Seaways) and:

http://www.symivisitor.com/greek-ferry.htm (ANES)

There will still be ferries between the islands. It's just that we don't yet know whose they will be! (yet).

Is that clear? If so, I've probably got it wrong.
It's all been changed again today. What a surprise. The ferries for the Dodecanese routes are now given on:

http://www.symigreece.com/syminews.php?date=12/05/07

Tomorrow is Sunday so they are unlikely to change again before next week.
I only said "unlikely".
oooh, what a lovely site RP - and the accomadtion prices aren't bad for Symi...may even tempt me to visit again....2009 perhaps (2008 is dedicated to Patmos!) :D
The last time I was in Rhodes I spoke to one of the ferry skippers and he said the ferries were limited to 2 or 3 runs a week at the tail end of the season.

I think Symi is a must - chillsville - or Zooo Kitsch as a German schoolteacher told me on the ferry, and Tilos has been recommended to me as being pretty much the same.

I'm only sorry my wife won't do the same as you are tryjng.
Glad you're thinking of returning, Elenitsa. It's still not a patch on Weston super Mare, of course. When were you last there? I'm off again in September and October.
Went for a day in 2005, overnighted in 95(?), had a haircut in 96 (when I was on Tilos for the summer) and stayed a week in 93 :shock: 14 years ago! It had changed a bit when I went in 05 - still lovely though. (WsM was a bit dark and wet yesterday!)

So I don't get off-topiced though :wink: - I would stress again that all 3 (Symi, Tilos and Nissyros) are different enough to warrant a visit - don't expect impressive architecture in Livadia on Tilos though!
Scalder - when are you travelling?? If its between the middle of July and early September, get yourself up to Mikro Horio bar on Tilos - best bar in the world! Stay long enough to watch the sun rise over Turkey!
You'll find a very brief description of each of the islands on my website. Although the site is designed for sailors, it's still useful for shore based visitors. Go to the 'Sailing' tab, then select 'Greece Detail' in the left column, and page down to the Dodecanese. Hope it helps . . .

JimB - Google 'jimb sail' or go http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Compares the sailing areas of Europe
thanks so much for all your information - has forwarded the info to my friend (whos in new zealand until she gets back home in Aug) and where gonna check out where we fancy going

:bow
travelling 8th sep to Kos - staying in Kos town for 2 nights, then 10th Sep going to rhodes - 1 night in rhodes town, 2 nights in falaraki (sorry so bad i know -but went when i was 21 and sort of wanna have a mad night out and re live my youth lol) the 2 nights in Lindos, then moving on. Defo like the sound of the bar in Tilos
Might be shut by mid September - but I know that the owners have also opened a bar down in Liavadia for this summer - probably won't be as crazy...have a look here http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7445b/65c79/5/

but I'm sure the mix of music will be as good!

If it's still there, try the Blue Lagoon bar in Rhodes town - totally OTT with a galleon in the middle of it!

In Kos last year we had a wonderful meal (not cheap, but wonderful) at Stadium on the seafront between the harbour and marina - take your credit card and check it out! Oh - and the Koala in Kos Town a great little hotel, small pool, nice rooms and about 15 minutes walk into town - we're definately going to overnight there again next year when we go up to Patmos.

In Rhodes Town, see if you can get a deal on the Esperia (try Alpharooms)- clean and functional, small pool and close to the new town action...if you fancy the old town I can recommend Nikis rooms.

(I'll shut up now, I'm beginning to sound like a know-all :oops: )
lol - no thats great - its always better to go off recomendations than off what the hotels/bars say about them selves on internet (lets face it there not gonna say there a dump lol)

Will check everywhere out - only have Kos accom booked so far and flight so need to get on Rhodes case.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.