America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Canada - Visa
9 Posts
No if you are a Uk citizen you do not need any sort of visa, we visited last year via the US we only spent about 5 minutes at customs whilst they checked our passports. We have previously flown direct again with no problems.
Hi Driver .... unlike the USA, there is no VWP as such in Canada. Visas are not generally required by British Citizens visiting Canada as holidaymakers. However other non-holiday related visits, such as for work or study purposes, may require a visa and/or work or study permit.

However, like the US, Canada imposes restrictions on visitors with certain criminal convictions and has a policy of criminal inadmissibility. In such cases, those intending to visit Canada may have to apply to an Embassy or Consulate for a certificate of rehabilitation.

Evidence may be required that 5 years have elapsed since the crime or completion of the sentence for that crime. A sentence does not necessarily refer to a term in prison, it could also apply to a driving ban.

More about criminal inadmissibility and rehabilitation can be found by clicking here.

David :wave
  • Edited by David 2007-09-10 15:46:27
Thanks for the clarification.

Much appreciated
Ok so do i need a visa to go to canada.??
How long can i stay before i get residences.
If i am moving to be with my b/f who is canadian does that make a diffrence if i can stay longer
was not sure where to look to find these things out.hope someone can help.
Anf how long soes it take for a visa to come through if i do need one.
thankyou
Look here- they should be able to help you.
http://www.cic.gc.ca
Can someone please tell me if you need a visa to visit Canada if you have a criminal record? And if so does anyone have any experience how difficult this might be?

I have tried emailing the embassy twice now but I have so far had no response so anyone comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Hempo .. there is info available regarding criminal convictions and inadmissability via my post above.

David :wave
Canada has in some ways stricter rules than the US (eg a drink driving conviction is a total bar to entry) but they do not ask tourists questions about criminal records - only those applying for a longer term visa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.